TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Realbenjamin: I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info bro!

10Yard: I am sure that I will like them as I have hit them a few times before. I am not an iron snob and I just want something that is good for my game. I have been playing to a 13 handicap (except for a few months there when I moved) with my current setup, but I am not satisfied and I think the added forgiveness will really help improve my scores on my bad days. I am not satisfied being a double digit handicap and I really want to be single digit by the time the THP outing comes in May. I have the tools to do it, but not the consistency and I am hoping these will give me the boost I need.

The reason I want a 3 iron is because my misses with it are not nearly as bad as with a 3 hybrid. If I mishit a 3 hybrid, it is usually out of play, but when I mishit the 3 iron, I am usually just fine and par is not out of the question for that hole. Also, I just have confidence with a 3 iron in my hand.

Setho I think the R11 irons would be very good for your game man.

Setho I think the R11 irons would be very good for your game man.

OEM has spoken, it must be so! Thanks bro, I am uber excited to run to the ATL tomorrow then. I gotta get these no matter how much they are. I like that they don't have the stupid badges stuck on there with double sticky tape like the R9 irons.

Edit: your avvy looks like a brown nose through a glory hole.

OEM has spoken, it must be so! Thanks bro, I am uber excited to run to the ATL tomorrow then. I gotta get these no matter how much they are. I like that they don't have the stupid badges stuck on there with double sticky tape like the R9 irons.

Edit: your avvy looks like a brown nose through a glory hole.

Make it happen dude! Grab all your trade bait and strike a deal. Well, you got a part of it right lol.

lol at the past two posts!

Seth, you'll be a happy little clam with some R11's. Come back to Ash-Vegas and we'll put them to work.

lol at the past two posts!

Seth, you'll be a happy little clam with some R11's. Come back to Ash-Vegas and we'll put them to work.

You don't have to ask me twice. I am sure Foster would like to see Kevin again too.

You don't have to ask me twice. I am sure Foster would like to see Kevin again too.

Foster would love to see his daddy again.

Zing!!! He kept on calling me Kevin when I met him. Maybe because we were in Dicks and he thought I was that cool.

I want to be the daddy to some awesome R11 irons come tomorrow.

You can't make babies that big dude. Get outta here.

that was a good zinger though!

Alex, I would honestly put the iron in a GE category based on looks, sole width, topline width, etc. But definitely put in in the GI category for distance and forgiveness.

TC and Buckjob:

Thanks and bunch for the input. These might be exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it's no coincidence that these are the irons that my coach recommended. You described the exact parameters that I want. Today I was at GG at looked at the Taylormde offerings. I looked at all of the offerings and it definitely came down to the TP MC, TP CB and R11 for the Taylomade line. Before I had a chance to hit them my wife fell ill and she's more important. Oh well they aren't going anywhere.

So you're coming down 18.... there's $2000 on the line. Are you gaming these or say the MC all things considered?

Alex

TC and Buckjob:

Thanks and bunch for the input. These might be exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it's no coincidence that these are the irons that my coach recommended. You described the exact parameters that I want. Today I was at GG at looked at the Taylormde offerings. I looked at all of the offerings and it definitely came down to the TP MC, TP CB and R11 for the Taylomade line. Before I had a chance to hit them my wife fell ill and she's more important. Oh well they aren't going anywhere.

So you're coming down 18.... there's $2000 on the line. Are you gaming these or say the MC all things considered?

Alex

ive only hit the MCs a couple of times but i don't think they are as forgiving as the R11s so id take the R11s

TC and Buckjob:

Alex

ive only hit the MCs a couple of times but i don't think they are as forgiving as the R11s so id take the R11s

Im going to butt in here, I agree with Buck, Id take the forgiveness and distance that the R11's give you over the MC's any day.

Dang, go outta town for a couple days and SethO is having TC's babies and Kevin is taking paternity tests (I musta skimmed somewhere along the way).

SethO, after seeing your swing in One-T's VHOD, I think you'll love these irons. You just look like you've got the smooth groove for them. I was impressed with the video and quite honestly, after seeing you swing, the thought of you gaming these irons absolutely went through my head...SWEAR. Wanna get better though, quit playing with all those lefties...it will screw with your head!

As for 4i-AW or 3i-PW, if you love your wedges, go with the 3i..I want one of those things bad. I like my hybrid and love my AW, but I'd really like to add a R11 3i to the bag at some point.

I had my R11s and XFT wedges re-gripped today and went with the Golf Pride VDR grips (red for the R11s and Black for the XFTs). I will try to get some pics before my round tomorrow.

Guys I HATE to say this but we have snow on the ground! Not much just a dusting but reality just set in haha. Calling for high 50's and low 60's this weekend and early next week so I still have at least 2 or 3 more rounds left. I wanna get out and hit these beautys!

TC and Buckjob:

Alex

Alex, I use to only play forged, player's irons. I don't know why, but I did. I've also always felt as though my iron game is by far my biggest strength on a golf course. Without a shadow of doubt I would choose the R11's. I can swing them easier, I can almost 100% believe that I will have a positive golf shot, and to me, that's worth it's weight in gold. I'm telling you man, I honestly feel like these irons take me to a new level in 2012. I'm very excited about finding out.

Alex, I use to only play forged, player's irons. I don't know why, but I did. I've also always felt as though my iron game is by far my biggest strength on a golf course. Without a shadow of doubt I would choose the R11's. I can swing them easier, I can almost 100% believe that I will have a positive golf shot, and to me, that's worth it's weight in gold. I'm telling you man, I honestly feel like these irons take me to a new level in 2012. I'm very excited about finding out.

TC:

Thanks a bunch for your input. I really appreciate your thoughts and time. Confidence is huge and seeing that you have that with these sticks... that's massive. I can't remember from the reading but do you use the KBS 90? You mentioned swinging easier is this from the overall lighter weight and swingweight? Today I held the MC and R11's simulataneously and the difference in overall static weight was insane. Not that it bothers me LOL. You guys have me excited like you wouldn't believe. After my round on Saturday I'm going to go hit them.

Thanks again,

Alex

TC:

Thanks a bunch for your input. I really appreciate your thoughts and time. Confidence is huge and seeing that you have that with these sticks... that's massive. I can't remember from the reading but do you use the KBS 90? You mentioned swinging easier is this from the overall lighter weight and swingweight? Today I held the MC and R11's simulataneously and the difference in overall static weight was insane. Not that it bothers me LOL. You guys have me excited like you wouldn't believe. After my round on Saturday I'm going to go hit them.

Thanks again,

Alex

Yes, I have the KBS 90 shafts in my R11s. I am coming from the KBS Tours in xstiff as well, and I have to tell you, I'll be staying with the KBS 90s in the future. I just don't have to work or labor as hard to utilize the shafts. I could not get lazy with the xstiff's at all or I saw some shots that leaked high and left. To be honest, I can't even say that the R11/KBS 90 promotes a higher ball flight than what I had previously. In fact, I quite like the flight that I'm getting and I am a natural high ball hitter. Are you going to have the chance to hit the R11s outside?

FYI just saw an add for Golf Galaxy 15% off online orders + free shipping. R-11's Just in time for the holidays for anyone looking.

might wannna double check on that, the new clubs are usually excluded

might wannna double check on that, the new clubs are usually excluded

And Ive seen some deals at GG and Dicks that said they excluded the R11 irons too. Some trade in bonus thing they are doing right now.

You are right Mike didn't notice the fine print I'll delete that post. bummed out now,but at least it's Friday.:D

I've got the jones now Kevin after hearing you and Buck reviewing your recent outing and Buck propping your Graphite's I'm hungry for the R-11's.

Alex I've been reading through the last couple of pages and I see you may be on the fence. The R11s have been an eye opener for me. I mean everything we talk about on this forum is rolled into the iron. Distance, height, feel, consistency and playability are all present. I've really can't compare the R11s to the MC because to me they are vastly different in a few categories. Head to head with other like clubs they may be heads over them but if you compare all the categories I just listed on a scale of 1-10. The R11 vs MC wins every time. But put that same MC against another club with like properties on the market it may be the winner.
My point is that you are comparing apples and oranges. Both good but completely different. You want long term satisfaction, the R11s have it spades. Good luck with what ever you choose and enjoy.

I've got the jones now Kevin after hearing you and Buck reviewing your recent outing and Buck propping your Graphite's I'm hungry for the R-11's.

Dude I totally understand that. Its what THP does to you and why we all come here. I think the R11's would be a very nice upgrade from those Nike Slingshots. Are you gaming the original Slingshots or the second version? Either way I think the R11's blow them away.

Back