Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Nice job Martin and DD, good to hear someone's still out there swinging away. This white stuff on the ground is really getting me down about now. Heck of a shot under that branch DD, love pulling off shots like that in front of someone, haha

Yeah, I was really loving that I was able to hit it when playing through a group. I usually try to rush through and end up hitting a stinker. hehe

The sound/feel still shocks me at times from what I consider almost a SGI iron.

What's the difference between GI and SGI?

Game improvement vs Super game improvement, generally the overall size and offset with possibly a bit deeper COG to make them easier to hit and more forgiving.

Game improvement vs Super game improvement, generally the overall size and offset with possibly a bit deeper COG to make them easier to hit and more forgiving.

That is a very true general statement duey but these irons seem to have much less offset than your usual GI club, that is one of the things I like a lot about them.

Sorry I missed this last night! Due's got it below :)

Pretty much what I think too Due.

That is a very true general statement duey but these irons seem to have much less offset than your usual GI club, that is one of the things I like a lot about them.

That's the hard part I have DD. I don't know how to classify these at times. So I just go with the ultraforgiving, kick @ss feeling irons I've come to really love lol.

So these SGIs are really getting close to the top of my list. I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday and was just looking at drivers and went to hitting irons just for fun. I hit some blades and some cavities that were in the demo bag by the sim. I then grabbed the 6-hybrid. It was amazing the difference there. The consistency was through the roof. It got me to wondering why more players don't play sets like this. I understand tour players with their high swing speeds. But for most amateurs, I can't really see how these aren't a good option for them.

So these SGIs are really getting close to the top of my list. I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday and was just looking at drivers and went to hitting irons just for fun. I hit some blades and some cavities that were in the demo bag by the sim. I then grabbed the 6-hybrid. It was amazing the difference there. The consistency was through the roof. It got me to wondering why more players don't play sets like this. I understand tour players with their high swing speeds. But for most amateurs, I can't really see how these aren't a good option for them.

The hybrids are legit! I think you're right, they really need to be. I honestly like how much feel has been improved in GI and SGI irons. These are some of the better feeling irons I have hit.

I think higher ss's might need to look at different shafts but I bet they'd enjoy the heck out of these.

The hybrids are legit! I think you're right, they really need to be. I honestly like how much feel has been improved in GI and SGI irons. These are some of the better feeling irons I have hit.

I think higher ss's might need to look at different shafts but I bet they'd enjoy the heck out of these.

Typically miss is off of the toe, I was seeing some really forgiven shots with these. But you're right, it wasn't like the feedback from my miss was covered up. It was just forgiven by the club.

Typically miss is off of the toe, I was seeing some really forgiven shots with these. But you're right, it wasn't like the feedback from my miss was covered up. It was just forgiven by the club.

That's one of the best charecteristics about this set, they are ultra forgiving!! Shots that are normally in the trees or OB are just off the fairway instead, and you usually don't give up much distance either.

These clubs just keep the ball more in play.

That's one of the best charecteristics about this set, they are ultra forgiving!! Shots that are normally in the trees or OB are just off the fairway instead, and you usually don't give up much distance either.

These clubs just keep the ball more in play.

And they don't give up the feedback.

I love how you worded this!

A short vid of my range session today, it was a productive and fun session. Mostly used the irons today, hit about 3 balls with the 5H, then about 4 with the 3W and maybe 8 with the Driver, all of the rest were with the irons. I love the forgiveness of these irons and even though it was in the 40's, I was still getting very good distance for me. In the close up shot on the video I hit the ball slightly fat, but still had the distance needed for it to be a good shot on the course. These clubs are soooooooo forgiving, I love them.

[video=youtube;ZAhSV-g6vsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAhSV-g6vsQ[/video]

Date: 12/8
Course: Ken McDonald

Overview:
Took two sets of irons with me and hit a number of different shots. As it was clear to me by the 3rd I wasn't going to be able to get a full 9 in, I had some fun! I left the hybrids at home but took the irons with me.

Short Irons (9i, PW, GW):
I didn't use my PW but the GW sure came in handy. I was just about 100 yards from the flag and it was a little colder out, so I thought the GW was perfect. Well, it was. The greens were a little harder than normal but this shot stopped about 5 feet from the hole. I was off in some rough and I can't tell you how happy I am to know these don't really get held up in there. Our rough isn't bad but its enough. I needed this shot and having a100-110 yard club can't be measured for me.

I also had a 9i shot into the last hole of the day for me. Again it was the end of the round and was dark by this point. I just had to rely on hitting a good shot. I hit two balls and hit the green both times. I was about 15-20 feet away but all I could do was hit, walk to the hole an pray on my way there. They felt really soft even as the round temp became colder. I really can't say enough about how surprising the feel is to me.

Transition Irons (7i and 8i):
I used each club once. The 7i was to lay up. This is probably the most consistant club in the set overall for me.One part of the fairway to the next and I wish I was using that shot to score lol. I don't get a lot of rollout with these but that's ok, I like playing all carry distance!

The 8i was a little different. I have a vid of this hole (from another round). I was trying to hit it 150 to the hole lol. I'm a bit shorter than that with this club. But I figured I was in between and I'd rather be below. I was well below. That's part of the frustration I have at times but if I'd get to the range ahead of time I could figure out what my distances are.

Summary:
Putting some of the shots up against the ZStars, I would've score a shot or two better. Which doesnt seem like much but can make the difference at times. Blu said it best how these clubs work and I love them for it. They truly make the game easier and as hard as it is, it's needed at times.

Good stuff TMod, it is impressive that you feel you would score a couple of shots better with the Adams over th ZStars, actually both are very good clubs. Thanks for the write up.

Good stuff TMod, it is impressive that you feel you would score a couple of shots better with the Adams over th ZStars, actually both are very good clubs. Thanks for the write up.

You've been killing it too man. I just think sometimes the clubhead gets in better spots without as much effort.

Played my home course today from the gold tees (70.7/117 5400 yards). It was in the mid 50's. Shot a 40. I had 5 out of 9 GIRs with the other approach shots just missing the greens. I had two shots that hit onto the green and rolled back off so I could almost say I had 7 GIRs. My last two lessons have really helped with alignment and ball striking with these clubs. It's so much fun getting out there and hitting shots that go straight where you aim them without a draw or fade.

In lieu of our little get together on Saturday I decided to hit the range Wednesday of a light "see where my swing is at" session. It wasn't pretty but the irons sure make it easy not to get into bad shots. Out of a light bucket I must have hit 5-10 flush and the rest were blah. Good thing to note is that blah is what it is but not ridiculously bad. Were they bad from my standpoint, of course since I like to think that I have control of the ball. Were they bad that they'll get me into some effed up situations on the course, absolutely not. These irons (unless your swing is truly goofed up and in that case that's another review) will not get you into situations where you will find yourself needing to hit a low percentage shot. Will you miss some, of course. Will you miss some so you're in you're pocket again, sometimes but more often than not it's user error.

More to come after this Saturday's shenanigans in Tampa.

Played my home course today from the gold tees (70.7/117 5400 yards). It was in the mid 50's. Shot a 40. I had 5 out of 9 GIRs with the other approach shots just missing the greens. I had two shots that hit onto the green and rolled back off so I could almost say I had 7 GIRs. My last two lessons have really helped with alignment and ball striking with these clubs. It's so much fun getting out there and hitting shots that go straight where you aim them without a draw or fade.

I will be over for my 1st lesson from you in a few days. :D

Seriously, I am glad to hear that the lessons are working out so well and that these clubs are responding to what you are being taught, 5 GIRs is strong, especially when you are right around the green on the 4 misses. Good going KB.

In lieu of our little get together on Saturday I decided to hit the range Wednesday of a light "see where my swing is at" session. It wasn't pretty but the irons sure make it easy not to get into bad shots. Out of a light bucket I must have hit 5-10 flush and the rest were blah. Good thing to note is that blah is what it is but not ridiculously bad. Were they bad from my standpoint, of course since I like to think that I have control of the ball. Were they bad that they'll get me into some effed up situations on the course, absolutely not. These irons (unless your swing is truly goofed up and in that case that's another review) will not get you into situations where you will find yourself needing to hit a low percentage shot. Will you miss some, of course. Will you miss some so you're in you're pocket again, sometimes but more often than not it's user error.

Yep, loving the forgiveness, good luck this weekend in Tampa.

Yep, loving the forgiveness, good luck this weekend in Tampa.

Thanks, DD. Although with this crew all I need is a brew and I'm all set.

Spankapatumus nice thoughts, gotta be a little straighter tomorrow.

got to the range today and gave the sticks a work out. only uad time for a small bucket. so i lefty the bag in the truck and took the 7,8,9 to the blocks. warmed up with the 8 because it is my most dependable club and right from the first swing i was dropping the balls around the 150 pin lick a flock of pigions dropping on a feshly washed car. these clubs are a god send for my game by making my mod irons as or more accurate than my short irons. the only issues is see is getting constant distances. that is my fault though and i am getting better at judging it. the seven iron developed a little fade twards the bottom of the bucket but i was tring to maximize my distance so i slowed it down and it corrected itself.
today was very productive in building my confidence in the 140-170 range and i know that will cut the strokes off the card becaise i find myself at that distance alot.

Back