The use of Cell Phone on a Golf Course?

lol @ this thread. I want all of those who are absolutely anti phones to never apply for a Morgan Cup. It's hard to update GG with your current scores without one. Unless of course you bring your two way radios, or walkie talkie's.

lol @ this thread. I want all of those who are absolutely anti phones to never apply for a Morgan Cup. It's hard to update GG with your current scores without one. Unless of course you bring your two way radios, or walkie talkie's.

I was hoping to yell REALLY loud. Since I am not using my phone, no one should get upset. :D

Tappin' from my iPad!

Its alright, I wouldnt use my phone anyway. I would just wear my bluetooth earpiece the whole time, its pretty cool.

What if you attached CB radios to your cart? Duke's of Hazard style!

So this may be a skim but I figured I'd add my two cents...

What about texting/emailing on the course? Anyone bothered by that?
As long as they keep up with pace anything wrong with it?

I would just use my phone if I had to regardless of what others say. If they complain, just hit them on the head a few times with your 9 iron, throw them in the nearest water hazard, and continue enjoying your round. They should mind their own business. :D

So this may be a skim but I figured I'd add my two cents...

What about texting/emailing on the course? Anyone bothered by that?
As long as they keep up with pace anything wrong with it?

As long as they keep up, I don't care. It bothers me none. I don't care what anyone does out there, it's their time away too. Again, as long as they don't slow down play.

As long as they keep up, I don't care. It bothers me none. I don't care what anyone does out there, it's their time away too. Again, as long as they don't slow down play.

playing partner approved!

playing partner approved!

YOu got that right. Golf to me is about having a good time, focusing, and playing MY game. That's it. I'm serious about it, but not that serious about it.

I agree. Nothing better than interviewing potential playing partners.

"Hello Id like to get a tee time this Saturday"
"Sure what time would you like? Were wide open since its raining and cold"
"Great, Id like to play early before everyone messes up the greens and tee boxes. OH and I need to make sure my playing partners are ok with me having my cell phone with me"
".............."

:bulgy-eyes:

I leave mine on the full blast whale call ringtone, my email message notification is an air horn. Also I like to play angry birds while driving to my ball. I use the GPS range finder app but I also drive all over the fairway to find a yardage marker, I don't trust high tech devices built by non-union workers.

Often I will answer calls in the middle of my playing partners backswing, I don't understand why that's a problem. I'm an important guy and people love me. Another great thing about me cell phone on the course is that I call the beer cart girl and inform her that my cooler is empty and I need another sixer, my playing partners are glad that I no longer have to yell across the course to get her attention.

One thing I won't do however is send a text message while driving my cart through bunkers or creeks to get to my ball, texting and driving is dangerous.

--
tapatalk

"Great, Id like to play early before everyone messes up the greens and tee boxes. OH and I need to make sure my playing partners are ok with me having my cell phone with me"
".............."

LMAO!

Me: "hi, it's nice to meet you. Do you play here often?
Dude: "yeah, it's my regular course and I've been playing here for a few years"
Me: "fantastic! Look, do you have a cell phone?"
Dude: "uh, yeah, but I'm not comfortable giving you my number or anything, we just met."
Me: "lol, no man, I just need to make sure you turn it off, and stow it in your bag or leave it in the car"
Dude: "really? My wife is pregnant and expecting so I'm not sure if I can do that"
Me: "eff you! We can't play golf together!"

I leave mine on the full blast whale call ringtone, my email message notification is an air horn. Also I like to play angry birds while driving to my ball. I use the GPS range finder app but I also drive all over the fairway to find a yardage marker, I don't trust high tech devices built by non-union workers.

Often I will answer calls in the middle of my playing partners backswing, I don't understand why that's a problem. I'm an important guy and people love me. Another great thing about me cell phone on the course is that I call the beer cart girl and inform her that my cooler is empty and I need another sixer, my playing partners are glad that I no longer have to yell across the course to get her attention.

One thing I won't do however is send a text message while driving my cart through bunkers or creeks to get to my ball, texting and driving is dangerous.

--
tapatalk

Honest to God, this made me spit my drink out.

This guys voice/the way he talks about this might be worse than an actual cell phone ringing.
Kicked off golf courses?!?!

This guys voice/the way he talks about this might be worse than an actual cell phone ringing.
Kicked off golf courses?!?!

By the way he is standing I think someone shoved a cell phone up...

I think I may try to find a bag phone, and carry it all over the course with me just to piss people off.

LMAO!

Me: "hi, it's nice to meet you. Do you play here often?
Dude: "yeah, it's my regular course and I've been playing here for a few years"
Me: "fantastic! Look, do you have a cell phone?"
Dude: "uh, yeah, but I'm not comfortable giving you my number or anything, we just met."
Me: "lol, no man, I just need to make sure you turn it off, and stow it in your bag or leave it in the car"
Dude: "really? My wife is pregnant and expecting so I'm not sure if I can do that"
Me: "eff you! We can't play golf together!"

lmao..

So the guy who wont allow his partners to bring their cell phones must play alone most of the time. Is it really that difficult to turn off the ringer?

lmao..

So the guy who wont allow his partners to bring their cell phones must play alone most of the time. Is it really that difficult to turn off the ringer?

Yes. The finger swipe can be difficult for some.

Yes. The finger swipe can be difficult for some.

And if you have the iPhone there's a button for that. Its RUSTY approved.

This thread is crazy, I guess since I'm required to have my cell phone on me, I'm no longer able to golf at all, or when I go to the course I have to interview all possible playing partners to make sure that I may have to make money for my family for 5 minutes during the round, that will not effect them in any way.

We're only discussing opinions on etiquette and courtesy; its not as though we are seeking to stone those we disagree with.

The simple fact is that your choice to accept cell phone calls during a round could diminish someone else's enjoyment of their round. If you don't mind being "that guy", or you just think people should accept your decision and get over it, then go ahead. Like I said previously, I really don't mind it at all if we are just playing a practice round together. If we were having some sort of competition, it would bother me. If I actually knew you, then I could weigh for myself whether it bothered me enough to not want to play with you.

I see it like this: As a HYPOTHETICAL ONLY, lets assume the following facts are true: 1. You have job responsibilities that require you to communicate with people on extremely short notice; 2. You want to play golf; 3. A large percentage of golfers (not necessarily a majority, but a large percentage) consider it rude to have cell phone conversations while you are playing.

Your choices of how to approach this are almost limitless. Some of the choices are so obviously unsavory that you have already eliminated them, but they are still choices. Your choices include -- BUT ARE NOT AT ALL LIMITED to:

1. Play golf with people who you know, and/or who do not mind if you accept cell phone calls during the game (certainly the easiest and most obvious solution).

2. Don't Play golf during those times your job responsibilities require you to be reachable.

3. Play golf without your cell phone, and accept the consequences of being unable to accept/return calls for a few hours.

4. Hire an assistant, or develop some type of business partnership in which someone is able to cover for you temporarily until you are able to be back in communication (this is pretty much the option I use).

5. Change jobs. (another option I have used)

6. Use some creativity to minimize your exposure to potential calls and excuse yourself from the course if you do get called.

7. Just show up at the course, play your round, and if your phone rings say "I'm sorry, but I REALLY DON"T HAVE A CHOICE".

We're only discussing opinions on etiquette and courtesy; its not as though we are seeking to stone those we disagree with.

The simple fact is that your choice to accept cell phone calls during a round could diminish someone else's enjoyment of their round. If you don't mind being "that guy", or you just think people should accept your decision and get over it, then go ahead. Like I said previously, I really don't mind it at all if we are just playing a practice round together. If we were having some sort of competition, it would bother me. If I actually knew you, then I could weigh for myself whether it bothered me enough to not want to play with you.

I see it like this: As a HYPOTHETICAL ONLY, lets assume the following facts are true: 1. You have job responsibilities that require you to communicate with people on extremely short notice; 2. You want to play golf; 3. A large percentage of golfers (not necessarily a majority, but a large percentage) consider it rude to have cell phone conversations while you are playing.

Your choices of how to approach this are almost limitless. Some of the choices are so obviously unsavory that you have already eliminated them, but they are still choices. Your choices include -- BUT ARE NOT AT ALL LIMITED to:

1. Play golf with people who you know, and/or who do not mind if you accept cell phone calls during the game (certainly the easiest and most obvious solution).

2. Don't Play golf during those times your job responsibilities require you to be reachable.

3. Play golf without your cell phone, and accept the consequences of being unable to accept/return calls for a few hours.

4. Hire an assistant, or develop some type of business partnership in which someone is able to cover for you temporarily until you are able to be back in communication (this is pretty much the option I use).

5. Change jobs. (another option I have used)

6. Use some creativity to minimize your exposure to potential calls and excuse yourself from the course if you do get called.

7. Just show up at the course, play your round, and if your phone rings say "I'm sorry, but I REALLY DON"T HAVE A CHOICE".

Rusty. Are you the 1%?

".............."

You guys are brutal :D Obviously, if you don't have a foursome, then you are at the mercy of whomever you get paired up with. If that person is rude and/or annoying, then what are you gonna do? If you get paired with the cart buddies who talk incessantly even when you're hitting, or the ball hound who spends his time in between shots beating the bushes for used balls, or the guy who stands directly behind you when you putt because his ball is on a similar line, or the guy who insists on conducting business on his cell phone the whole round, then you just suck it up and try to enjoy yourself. It doesn't make any of those guys less rude, though.

You guys are brutal :D Obviously, if you don't have a foursome, then you are at the mercy of whomever you get paired up with. If that person is rude and/or annoying, then what are you gonna do? If you get paired with the cart buddies who talk incessantly even when you're hitting, or the ball hound who spends his time in between shots beating the bushes for used balls, or the guy who stands directly behind you when you putt because his ball is on a similar line, or the guy who insists on conducting business on his cell phone the whole round, then you just suck it up and try to enjoy yourself. It doesn't make any of those guys less rude, though.

Yeah pretty much Rusty. I play all public courses and almost never with the same people. So I have seen all of those things you just said. I deal with it. And sometimes you just have to say something if it becomes a problem. Not very many of us can play private country clubs with the same four guys all the time. And to be honest I rather not. That sounds boring to me. But for the record Rusty I always silence my phone like they tell you at the movies but I always bring it with me because I use Golfshot to record my scores.

Anybody every be sitting in the cart while your partner is preparing his shot, only to have his cell phone start vibrating in his side of the cart? You have options. YOU HAVE OPTIONS!
  1. Ignore it and tell him when he gets back into the cart. (Boring and way to mature).
  2. Ignore the phone call. Take a picture of the inside of your golf shorts and send it to whoever just called.
  3. Answer the phone and act like your buddy.
  4. Throw the phone at him while he's swinging.
THERE ARE OPTIONS!!!

I'm also self-employed so I have mine with me at all times, but rarely have it on. I check it during slowdowns or between nines. I understand some need to have theirs with them and as long as they're not rudely blabbing away it's not a problem. Talking on every hole gets tiresome, and those with smart phones that are constantly twitting, checking sports scores, checking the weather, etc., get annoying. When I played The Ogre last Summer and kicked his ass, he spent a good portion of the day riding in the cart with me constantly scrolling through apps, emailing, and texting. I think that is rude as hell.

So he got a match play beat down.

Kevin

I usually bring mine with me but pretty much answer it. Being a university student I know that the chances of getting a really important call are pretty slim.

It does come in handy if you're planning on eating at the clubhouse after the round and some of the people that you're meeting aren't golfers. One course near where my parents live in Ottawa have a great restaurant and on certain days will do a 9 and dine special where you get a round of golf and a meal for $30 so it's handy to text/call people when you're on the 8th/9th holes and let them know you're just about done the round so they can meet you at the clubhouse

Back