Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I am new to the board but my father-in-law is a member at Caledonia and TrueBlue. My best advice would be that prepare for two totally different courses. TrueBlue is wide open and long and Caledonia is shorter and very tight. The greens are very different too. Caledonia is bent grass and TrueBlue is Bermuda. It makes a huge difference when playing them back to back. If I could work on on thing for both course it would be off the tee with TrueBlue your driver better be working pretty good or it will be a long course and Caledonia is more of a placement course I hit a lot of hybrids off of the tee there and a few irons from time to time. It is a lot more placement. Caledonia is also has more undulation to the greens and requires more exact iron shots. I always feel like at TrueBlue if I can get on the green I can two putt but Caledonia will throw a 3 putt in from time to time. Both courses are beautiful and are excellent around the greens that will allow you to get up and down fairly easy but as any round chipping and putting can make a huge difference. TrueBlue also has waste bunkers instead of cart paths so it is imperative that you stay out of those for obvious reasons but the fairways are a lot wider than Caledonia.

I by no means am a "tour" golfer but I do get a lot of time on both tracks so I hope that little advice helps anyone.

some great info there EB!

Tmex great updates man, your game has come a long long way in a Chunkylover amount of time. You start dropping 1-2 of those 10-12 footers a round and you will see your scores drop very quickly.

Today was going to be a great day on the range and the practice green, but alas its 20 mph winds oot there with torrential west coast rains, so I'm not going outside. Guess its another day of hitting putts in the office on my practice green.

Thanks for the info EBgolf, I definitely appreciate it. Good stuff to know and to workout a gameplan to prepare for.

Great info there EB! Thank you. I will wreck shop on some fools on bent grass.

EB thanks for the info on the courses man, we'd love to hear any and all advice/feedback you can give us on the place.

Yoccos bro you are an inspiration, I love seeing your posts on Facebook about working out and reading about all of your hard work on the golf course and seeing how it is paying off is great. Keep it up bro, I'm glad we get to hang out in May, we can talk about our progress and set more goals for July. Yoccos, you rock!

Thanks for the local knowledge on the courses EB, we appreciate it!

I am new to the board but my father-in-law is a member at Caledonia and TrueBlue. My best advice would be that prepare for two totally different courses. TrueBlue is wide open and long and Caledonia is shorter and very tight. The greens are very different too. Caledonia is bent grass and TrueBlue is Bermuda. It makes a huge difference when playing them back to back. If I could work on on thing for both course it would be off the tee with TrueBlue your driver better be working pretty good or it will be a long course and Caledonia is more of a placement course I hit a lot of hybrids off of the tee there and a few irons from time to time. It is a lot more placement. Caledonia is also has more undulation to the greens and requires more exact iron shots. I always feel like at TrueBlue if I can get on the green I can two putt but Caledonia will throw a 3 putt in from time to time. Both courses are beautiful and are excellent around the greens that will allow you to get up and down fairly easy but as any round chipping and putting can make a huge difference. TrueBlue also has waste bunkers instead of cart paths so it is imperative that you stay out of those for obvious reasons but the fairways are a lot wider than Caledonia.

I by no means am a "tour" golfer but I do get a lot of time on both tracks so I hope that little advice helps anyone.

Some great advice here! I like how different the courses are. Strategic golf is fun to me.

Tmex great updates man, your game has come a long long way in a Chunkylover amount of time. You start dropping 1-2 of those 10-12 footers a round and you will see your scores drop very quickly.

Today was going to be a great day on the range and the practice green, but alas its 20 mph winds oot there with torrential west coast rains, so I'm not going outside. Guess its another day of hitting putts in the office on my practice green.

Dang dude that sucks! But at least you're working on that stroke man.

Tmex was this round with the Adams or ZStars?

It was with the ZStars and I had some Adams (hyrbids and 7/8) with me to hit second shots to compare. I had a lot of wedges coming into the green off the tee. I used the ZStar shots to keep score for this round. I was originally going to hit the Adams only but I figured since I was for sure getting 18 in, I wanted to see where I was with the irons that would more resemble what I would be Morgan Cupping with.

It was with the ZStars and I had some Adams (hyrbids and 7/8) with me to hit second shots to compare. I had a lot of wedges coming into the green off the tee. I used the ZStar shots to keep score for this round. I was originally going to hit the Adams only but I figured since I was for sure getting 18 in, I wanted to see where I was with the irons that would more resemble what I would be Morgan Cupping with.

that's why I was asking. I think that's great dude. You've played some excellent golf lately. Keep it up

EB thanks for the info on the courses man, we'd love to hear any and all advice/feedback you can give us on the place.

Yoccos bro you are an inspiration, I love seeing your posts on Facebook about working out and reading about all of your hard work on the golf course and seeing how it is paying off is great. Keep it up bro, I'm glad we get to hang out in May, we can talk about our progress and set more goals for July. Yoccos, you rock!

You are too dude. This whole thread and community has been an inspiration!

that's why I was asking. I think that's great dude. You've played some excellent golf lately. Keep it up

We maybe on different teams this time but I definitely took some info away from you lol.

A little while ago, I hurt my back, and really hadn't touched a club for a couple of weeks because of it. Well, Sunday it was alomost 70* in Raleigh, so I decided to go and hit a couple hundred balls at the range. My swing felt good for the most part considering the small lay off, and the next day I wasn't too bad off physically. It was about the same yesterday, and then BOOM! I was taken to a knee with a muscle spasm across my lower back. Did a bunch of heat last night, and some more this morning with some muscle stim and an adjustment courtesy of my friendly neighborhood chiropractor, but it is still killing me. I guess I am glad it turned cold so I don't feel like I am missing out as much, but maybe I will not hit so many balls the next time out to ease back in to it. Supposed to go back to 60 this weekend. Hopefully I can get out and take a few swings again by then. If not maybe just some chipping and putting.

A little while ago, I hurt my back, and really hadn't touched a club for a couple of weeks because of it. Well, Sunday it was alomost 70* in Raleigh, so I decided to go and hit a couple hundred balls at the range. My swing felt good for the most part considering the small lay off, and the next day I wasn't too bad off physically. It was about the same yesterday, and then BOOM! I was taken to a knee with a muscle spasm across my lower back. Did a bunch of heat last night, and some more this morning with some muscle stim and an adjustment courtesy of my friendly neighborhood chiropractor, but it is still killing me. I guess I am glad it turned cold so I don't feel like I am missing out as much, but maybe I will not hit so many balls the next time out to ease back in to it. Supposed to go back to 60 this weekend. Hopefully I can get out and take a few swings again by then. If not maybe just some chipping and putting.

Man that sucks. Hopefully it heals up quickly dude! Sometimes rest is an overlooked portion of preparation.

Man that sucks. Hopefully it heals up quickly dude! Sometimes rest is an overlooked portion of preparation.

Thanks buddy. Luckily my Chirpractor is a friend so he doesn't charge me. I think he will see a lot of me for the next few days to get me out there as quickly as possible.

Thanks buddy. Luckily my Chirpractor is a friend so he doesn't charge me. I think he will see a lot of me for the next few days to get me out there as quickly as possible.

yeah man don't overdo it now. We've still got 7 months to go.

Heal quickly, yorkem! No need to risk anything, you have tons of time to hit balls.

yeah man don't overdo it now. We've still got 7 months to go.

Heal quickly, yorkem! No need to risk anything, you have tons of time to hit balls.

Thanks guys. I know I have time, I just want to get out enough to keep my swing because I was really striking the ball well the last few weeks. If I can do that, I think the lessons I have set up will be much more beneficial and progress a bit faster.

Yorkie when I had my back problems here at the end of last summer I really had to let it heal up and rest 100% before I played again. I got it all fixed up, rushed back and hurt myself again. After letting it heal up and rest for a week or two I was all set. Good luck with it man, it can be a nasty problem to have.

Yorkie when I had my back problems here at the end of last summer I really had to let it heal up and rest 100% before I played again. I got it all fixed up, rushed back and hurt myself again. After letting it heal up and rest for a week or two I was all set. Good luck with it man, it can be a nasty problem to have.

Yeah...I guess the good part is that it is January, and for the most part, even in NC, it is a little too cold for me to go play.

Not to kill any of you guys' preparations, but I'm curious why there's a lot of 10 foot putts being practiced and not 6 feet and in. Odds are, you're not going to have very many of those left unless you're either a stud with your irons or you're a mediocre chipper/pitcher of the ball.

I would think 6 feet and in would be more helpful since you're probably either going to be gunning them/leaving them short, or you're all going to have short games tuned up enough to at least put you around the 6 foot mark. Obviously you're going to know your own personal game better than I am, but it's just some food for thought.

Not to kill any of you guys' preparations, but I'm curious why there's a lot of 10 foot putts being practiced and not 6 feet and in. Odds are, you're not going to have very many of those left unless you're either a stud with your irons or you're a mediocre chipper/pitcher of the ball.

I would think 6 feet and in would be more helpful since you're probably either going to be gunning them/leaving them short, or you're all going to have short games tuned up enough to at least put you around the 6 foot mark. Obviously you're going to know your own personal game better than I am, but it's just some food for thought.

I'm not a good golfer so if I'm hitting a green I'm about 15-20 feet unless I pull it or hit it too long. Chipping I'm working on but its about the length I get shoot for.

I've got a long winter ahead of me. I figured if I go down and work on different length putts and grooving my swing with the Betti. Then it should help me out come spring time. Then I can really go to work on all my game. Last night just happen to be 10 ft putts. I suck at putting so no matter the length, I need work.

I've got a long winter ahead of me. I figured if I go down and work on different length putts and grooving my swing with the Betti. Then it should help me out come spring time. Then I can really go to work on all my game. Last night just happen to be 10 ft putts. I suck at putting so no matter the length, I need work.

Every single golfer on earth needs putting practice Bullfrog hahaa.

I'm not a good golfer so if I'm hitting a green I'm about 15-20 feet unless I pull it or hit it too long. Chipping I'm working on but its about the length I get shoot for.

Fair enough, just making sure you guys don't limit yourself to just those. Then again if you're a stud at exactly a 10 foot putt, maybe it wouldn't hurt to just lag everything to 10 feet haha

Fair enough, just making sure you guys don't limit yourself to just those. Then again if you're a stud at exactly a 10 foot putt, maybe it wouldn't hurt to just lag everything to 10 feet haha

We call that playing to a number.hehehe

Back