The official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, annual taxes are $3300 bones? Ouch. My house appraised at 150 and I pay $450 a year for my property tax

dude, annual taxes are $3300 bones? Ouch. My house appraised at 150 and I pay $450 a year for my property tax

It includes all the school, hospital, etc stuff as well. Not sure if that is typical or not.

Question for any guys who travel a lot for work or work from home for their jobs:

I currently travel 75% of the time for work, 25% work from home. I was offered a new job working from home 80% traveling 20%. New job is 6% less pay. All other benefits, bonuses, etc are pretty similar.

You live in the middle of the sticks though. Move down closer to Charlotte and the taxes go up. I pay about .85 taxes on mine.

Here is the actual breakdown:

DAL CNTY
HOSP DIST
COLL DIST
SCH EQUAL
GR PR ISD
GR PR CITY
$261.83
$291.88
$107.35
$10.77
$1,752.58
$868.52

So half of it goes to the school district.

Dude, thats crazy, my house is appraised at $493,000 and my annual property tax is $4000. This is just for garbage and reccycling services.

Question for any guys who travel a lot for work or work from home for their jobs:

I currently travel 75% of the time for work, 25% work from home. I was offered a new job working from home 80% traveling 20%. New job is 6% less pay. All other benefits, bonuses, etc are pretty similar.
I travel for work, I have no idea why you would want to take that job for 6% less pay, unless the per diam was a ton higher but it doesn't sound like it is.

Paying 50% of my income to Uncle Eh would be a tough pill to swallow for me... unless I was chronically sick, then it would pay off.

Is 6% worth the extra time at home and potentially less stress of traveling? I would take a 6% cut for the convenience of working from home and a better work/life balance.

Paying 50% of my income to Uncle Eh would be a tough pill to swallow for me... unless I was chronically sick, then it would pay off.
Ya, its tough, but get sick once or have a sick kid and you will be praying that you lived in a place like this, but I don't want to get into the discussion.

Sorry I read this wrong, yes, the new job is totally worth it.

Is 6% worth the extra time at home and potentially less stress of traveling? I would take a 6% cut for the convenience of working from home and a better work/life balance.

Ya, its tough, but get sick once or have a sick kid and you will be praying that you lived in a place like this, but I don't want to get into the discussion.

Sorry I read this wrong, yes, the new job is totally worth it.
I think I would do that as well. Being able to work from home 80% of the time would be worth the 6% cut.

Your air is clean and that is another bonus.

You should move to Wisconsin. Our land is flat, but wooded. The beer flows like wine. Lots of cows for butter and cheese, which also means lots of cows for steak. Really nice golf season, for at least 6 months anyways. The winters are hell though, but that is why every bartender can make a brandy old fashion with their eyes closed.

Your air is clean and that is another bonus.
Clean is something, we are trying to keep things clean so that we can get the Calloways here.

Well, Not only will you lose out on 6% but I am guessing you will lose out on some per diems and mileage, which may have counted towards income. For me, I would chose the lesser traveling job. I travel quite a bit now and would love to not do that anymore.

$450 a year?!? What kind of a mountain shack do you live in out there?

yes, a year. Its awesome. I have a nice little cabin lookin place.

That is amazingly cheap! I've seen some pics you've taken for other reasons but your house looks very nice....$450 a year for taxes....WOW. Our's is right around $4000 or so.

Do you have to pay for school & hospital taxes, etc separately? If not, how are those services paid for?

N.C. has a state income tax don't they? That explains part of it.

Ahhh, that would make sense. Perhaps that is why our property taxes are higher to offset that.

Ahhh, that would make sense. Perhaps that is why our property taxes are higher to offset that.
It's pretty funny how it might seem great and things in some places but really the tax and healthcare and all the other expenses seem to even out when you really get to comparing what everyone pays.

Well, Not only will you lose out on 6% but I am guessing you will lose out on some per diems and mileage, which may have counted towards income. For me, I would chose the lesser traveling job. I travel quite a bit now and would love to not do that anymore.

I would lose out on mileage & per diem (which i use as tightly as possible). I've been traveling pretty much full time for the last 5 years, so needless to say, I'm looking forward to the possibility of working from home.

I just looked, between my wife and I, we payed just under 4K in state income tax last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back