TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Thanks TC. I have been looking at the soles and the grind looks like it will work well for a sweeper. There is a nice trailing edge grind so I don't think the actual playing bounce would be bad. I have only been able to hit these from mats so I cant really tell but I really like them and after the great reviews here I think I will be ordering a set soon.

I was looking forward to the new Ping i20 release to compare with the R11's but now that the specs are out the bounce on the clubs is unreal. The 6 iron has 7* and the PW has 12*. They were definitely made for diggers and soft fairways.

Earl

Earl, I don't have the specs but I am much more of a sweeper than a digger. I have had very little problems with these irons at all.

really you don't have any problems with these irons? i havn't noticed from your recent scores and GIRs! lol

Thanks TC. I have been looking at the soles and the grind looks like it will work well for a sweeper. There is a nice trailing edge grind so I don't think the actual playing bounce would be bad. I have only been able to hit these from mats so I cant really tell but I really like them and after the great reviews here I think I will be ordering a set soon.

I was looking forward to the new Ping i20 release to compare with the R11's but now that the specs are out the bounce on the clubs is unreal. The 6 iron has 7* and the PW has 12*. They were definitely made for diggers and soft fairways.

Earl

I had heard that about the i20's. I rarely hit off mats to be honest. I really like these irons off the turf though.

Sent from my forged iPad

I also want to thank the testers and others that contributed to this thread. It convinced me to try and then purchase a set. Something I don't think I'll ever regret.

Thank you to all who tested and gave feedback! These are definitely on my short list (very short list) of irons to consider over the next couple months!

I wanted to take a little before I posted this.

First, I like my fellow testers played the R11s stock...as of this afternoon, I plan on grinding the channel off these bad boys...thanks alot TC (just kidding of course)

Seriously, thank you to THP, JB, and GG for taking a chance on me with this. I was a very new THP member and never thought in a million years I would be selected for such an honor. Thanks to my fellow bros Tadashi, Buckjob, TC, and K-Mac for showing me the way. And thanks to TaylorMade Golf for such a dream opportunity and the clubs to match.

Striking the ball with these clubs have changed the way I play golf. Testing these clubs made me think differently than I ever have whether it be practice or play. Everthing I've done since being selected has meaning and began to be thought out.

Thanks again for everything, I will certainly never forget this opportunity.

Big round of applause to all the testers. Your reviews and feed back kept me interested in these Irons when i was in the market to upgrade my bag. I was torn between the R-11s and the Nike pro combos. Tried a bunch more when I went to get fitted and the R-11s came out on top for me. Thanks again for all the time spent reviewing your test Irons for THP. And Thanks go out to Taylormade for providing the R-11s for THP.

Well this is not what I wanted to hear. I have so enjoyed testings the R11s and sharing my thoughts and ideas. I really enjoyed the level of participation from the forum as well as sharing the stage with Buck, OEM, TC and 2shoes. I learned a lot and I thank you gentlemen.
Big thanks to THP for the opportunity and big shout out to TaylorMade for producing such a quality set of irons and allowing us to provide honest real world feedback. It has been a real treat and I feel extremely fortunate to have these in my bag, they are game changers. I can say my game has improved and rapidly since putting the R11s in my bag. Thanks again and if anyone else has questions, I am here to answer them.

I currently have Diable Edge irons and I do like them a lot. The thing is that since I learned to hit down on the ball last summer my ball flight is very high. I've only been playing for 3 years so I needed that extra help getting the ball up....but now it's seems way too high. I strike the ball pretty consistantly and I'm curious if the R11's would be something for me to look at as the next step up from SGI. I've gone from a shooting in the 110 range to the 92-95 range. I think it's time for a change and find irons that can help take my game to the next level. In your opinion are the R11's level of forgiveness close to that of the Diablo's?

I havnt hit the diablos but I think the R11s are plenty forgiving. I'd go hit them somewhere if you can. See what you think. Lots of good GI irons out there depending on what you're looking for.

I havnt hit the diablos but I think the R11s are plenty forgiving. I'd go hit them somewhere if you can. See what you think. Lots of good GI irons out there depending on what you're looking for.

Thanks for the insight Buckjob......great work on the testing by the way!

Are the R11 irons lofted as strong as the Burner 2.0? Also, how about the shaft length? If I remember correctly, the 2.0 had longer shafts to help create more distance. Is that the case with the R11?

Are the R11 irons lofted as strong as the Burner 2.0? Also, how about the shaft length? If I remember correctly, the 2.0 had longer shafts to help create more distance. Is that the case with the R11?

Some of the scoring irons are the same loft as the 2.0's but I don't think the mid and long irons are. I don't know off hand about shaft length either.

I'd really like these irons I think. I like the R9 TP but sent them back when I was blessed to get a deal on the MCs. Now I doubt anyone who buys R11 irons would be interested in trading or they would have just bought the MC. Haha.

The R11s are so similar to size to the R9 TPs its almost stupid. Someone might be interested in a trade. Start a thread dude.

The R11s are so similar to size to the R9 TPs its almost stupid. Someone might be interested in a trade. Start a thread dude.

I'll start one and see if I get any bites. Honestly, the MC just feels sort of dull too me. I think they might be too advanced for me. Not enough "help" if you will. Thanks for the feedback TC.

I'll start one and see if I get any bites. Honestly, the MC just feels sort of dull too me. I think they might be too advanced for me. Not enough "help" if you will. Thanks for the feedback TC.

No problem. You would like the R11s. Very soft at impact, very sleek (maybe not as much as your MCs) and fairly long. I think they'd offer more than enough "help".

I haven't updated this thread in a while mostly because I haven't played a ton, and work has been crazy. The R11's are still the best irons I have ever had in my bag. I'm hitting more greens in regulation than ever right now averaging 7 GIR a round right now, and my ball striking has never been this good. Yesterday I played 18 and had a great ball striking day, but did catch two shots that I can think of out on the toe a little bit, and I was just on the front fringe with one of them, and on the front of the green with the other, making par on both holes. The heads are so sleek you wouldnt think there is as much forgiveness in there as there is, but they simply perform.

I know I will be playing a new set of irons soon, but one thing I can say is that the R11's will not be going anywhere, they will be placed in a spot of honor in my office in my Taylormade staff bag and will be played for years to come I am sure.

I have some MC's and they are not as springy off the face. Compared beside each other there is not a major difference in size. Yes the mc are smaller profile but it would not be anything of concern in switching. As for forgiveness, the 11 has it in Spades. They are also a longer club for me, by a lot. I do give up some control though as co pared to the mc. Different purpose for both irons though. As for 'softness' both are pretty darn good. You do feel more pop off the r11 face. 11 are also a lot lighter dePendig on shafts...

the 2.0s have longer shafts by a half inch i believe.

I have some MC's and they are not as springy off the face. Compared beside each other there is not a major difference in size. Yes the mc are smaller profile but it would not be anything of concern in switching. As for forgiveness, the 11 has it in Spades. They are also a longer club for me, by a lot. I do give up some control though as co pared to the mc. Different purpose for both irons though. As for 'softness' both are pretty darn good. You do feel more pop off the r11 face. 11 are also a lot lighter dePendig on shafts...

Can you elaborate on what you mean by control? If the R11 is more forgiving, do you mean control as in distance?

By control I mean being able to work the ball side to side for fade or draw. Not that I can do this all the time, but, I have more success with the tp line I have. Sorry for any confusion.

Back