Have you ever have a starter/club pro say something like this to you?

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was golfing as a single last week and I got paired up with a couple of members and when the course pro/starter was pointing them out to me he added "and they're probably going to demolish you"

It just seemed like something that was uncalled for, he doesn't know my skill level and it kind of pissed me off. Even if the other guys are really good he didn't need to say it like that he could have just said they were really good.

Funniest thing was that they really didn't do much better than me (if at all). I played my best front nine ever (7 over 45) and they were all over the place especially off the tee. One of them hit his drive over 2 fairways into the lake :giggle:

Anyone else have an experience like that?

So I was golfing as a single last week and I got paired up with a couple of members and when the course pro/starter was pointing them out to me he added "and they're probably going to demolish you"

It just seemed like something that was uncalled for, he doesn't know my skill level and it kind of pissed me off. Even if the other guys are really good he didn't need to say it like that he could have just said they were really good.

Funniest thing was that they really didn't do much better than me (if at all). I played my best front nine ever (7 over 45) and they were all over the place especially off the tee. One of them hit his drive over 2 fairways into the lake :giggle:

Anyone else have an experience like that?

No. And I can kind of understand why smoke might have been rolling out of your ears. That was a little uncalled for if you ask me. I have had them rib me, jokingly, for club selection, but never anything like what you are saying.

No never, what did they shoot?

I have never had or seen this happen before. It sounds a little uncalled for though...

No never, what did they shoot?

I don't know the exact scores but it was something very similar to what I shot and I would not be surprised if it was within 2/3 strokes

When my friends and I were just taking the game up we played a course that was nearly in the back yard of one guys in our group... Its a decent, tough public course and we were all struggling, but trying hard not to hold anyone up on a Saturday afternoon... The ranger followed over the last few holes finally parking in the trees that surrounded the 17th green... The green is up a big hill and has some deep bunkers around the front and we all struggled mightily... After we finished the hole he pulled his cart down beside us and just laughed at us... I think we took it as good natured ribbing, but then he said something about sticking to putt-putt & driving ranges for a while... One of the guys said something like, "excuse us Arnold "frickin" Palmer"... He ran us off, wouldn't let us play the 18th... None of us have ever gone back there, even though we all play regularly...

Man that was uncalled for, what a &^%$.

I once took a client to play with me and a couple buddies at an "upscale" at what was then a semi-private club (it has since gone private). The starter started giving us crap about what tees we were going to play and how they didn't tolerate slow play before we even got out of our carts. This can be okay if done politely, which it was not. I politely told him to shove it. Then there was a rain delay and while waiting at a halfway house/snack bar we heard some derogatory comments about us "being public and waiting for the rain to stop to get our money's worth" a ranger made which came over a walkie-talkie sitting on the counter. At the end of the round it began to pour again and they wouldn't let us drive our carts to our cars. That was a rule I guess, but the way they enforced it was very rude and aggressive. We had no idea, and a guy actually like grabbed me and said , "What the f are you doing?"

After the round I sent a letter to the director of golf/owner explaining how disappointed I was in the behavior of his employees. He called me and tried to give me some passes for another round, but was really pretty dismissive and disrespectful while doing it.

I not so politely told him to shove it, and badmouthed the place and his operations for years. He has since taken quite a bath at this club and two other developments due to the real estate crash. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Kevin

Were you using a staff bag?

Were you using a staff bag?
No but I did have hybrids and didn't bother to take off my iron covers before the round so that makes up for it on the poser scale right?

Never a starter or ranger, but I have played with and around several complete jerks. I'm only 13, so sometimes people think that I can't conduct myself on the course or my friends can't. Anyway, we had an older couple playing behind us and they were playing very, very quickly ( they were riding and we were walking). So we decided, about halfway through 9, to let them play through. They had caught up to us on the previous hole. We start motioning them to play through, and they literally stop playing altogether and just sit back behind us. We thought, 'okay maybe they're being nice and not rushing us. Just to be safe, we decided to let them through on 6, which was a short par 3. When they drive up to the green tees ( 5 yards in front of the whites which we were playing, the man driving the cart starts screaming at us. He told us we were playing unreasonably slow and were a disgrace to the game. Then he told us we both sucked at golf ( my friend had a bad hole on 5, had a double) and that he was going to report us to the pro shop and start a petition to not let junior folders out on the course. My friend looked like he was on the verge of tears, and then the guy yells at him 'AND IT'S SUCKY PLAYERS LIKE YOU THAT MAKE MY GOLF GAME A LIVING HELL!'. He then proceeds to duff 3 balls straight into the lake. After they stormed off, I took out a 5 wood and put the ball 7 feet from the hole and dropped in the putt for birdie. Now stop me if I'm wrong, but we are members at a private golf course, we pay just as much as the next guy, and we are good people. We shouldn't be yelled at like that because of our age. I guarantee you of there was another adult present that situation would have turned out a lot differently.

Never had that happen. We only have starters at a couple courses here and they are generally pretty nice guys.

Never had that happen. We only have starters at a couple courses here and they are generally pretty nice guys.
It's the first time something like that happened to me at the course. Usually the starters are pretty good. Last fall I was only going about once a week but the regular starter remembered my name after only going a couple of times.

Never had this happen. Have been told about not playing slow but it was done in a polite way. Not sure what I would do if this happened to me. Probably wouldnt be good for them. Haha

Seriously. Tappin'.

That's really uncalled for an very unprofessional.

I've worked shifts as a starter before and the only job you have is to insure that people are grouped properly, everyone starts on time, and the main, make people feel comfortable and hope they enjoy their round.

This starter clearly didn't do that and if anything needs to learn some respect.

To answer the OP here; I have never encountered that at a course down this way. I use to play quite a bit by myself when I first moved down here, and I got to know the starters rather quickly. More often than not, when I get paired up with someone, everyone jokes about their game and what not. Get the old joke, "What's your handicap? Golf..haha" type of thing.

No. And I can kind of understand why smoke might have been rolling out of your ears. That was a little uncalled for if you ask me. I have had them rib me, jokingly, for club selection, but never anything like what you are saying.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I've never ran into that guy yet....

quite a bit uncalled for. Thankfully I've never had anything like that happen. Only one place I play ever has a starter, and even then half the time there isn't anyone there.

The only thing that comes to mind is when I was going out as a single and the paired me up with another guy when we got called to the tee the started said to me sorry your with this guy i hope you brought a few beer he's a real D.B. well he was right the guy was an A..

Never had that sort of thing happen. If a starter said that to me, more than likely he'd be right :act-up: But I'd still be pretty steamed

I haven't had that happen. But I have had starters/marshalls be jerks. It took all the self-control I had to stay civilized, but I wanted to rip him a new one.

Back