Golf coverage on TV...

Are we really debating this much about a co-host on Morning Drive? Really?

Could the show be better? Yes. Is it better now than when it first came on? Yes.

We die hard golf fans need to get over the fact that GC's programming is redundant, "too" focused on Tiger, etc. Golf Channel is not targeting die hard golf fans. They already have us as viewers. They target the fringe viewer who only tunes in for a few segments, when there is a big story, or when there is a big event. Targeting those viewers is the only way they will significantly boost ratings. If GC was targeting die hard golf fans, they would air live coverage of all events. They don't air that much coverage, because the small number of die hard golf fans that would watch it doesn't raise the ratings enough to cover their costs. There is a reason why they air 15 hours a day of the US Open and not the Mayakoba Classic.

Its all about ratings because that is all sponsors care about.

I guess I'm just questioning his cache as part of the reason he's there. I don't think him being a "name" that might get people's attention, even remotely, has anything to do with him getting that gig. I knew him from being a fringe radio guy that would fill in on espn sometimes, i'm not sure how many people in morning drive's target audience knew of him or cared one way or the other about him.

The fact that he is a national radio personality (by virtue of being with espn) most likely helped him get the morning drive gig, but only in that they were probably looking for someone with national show credentials who isn't going to say anything to piss anybody off. I don't think him specifically being erick kasiulas really meant anything

In all fairness, who exactly could the Golf Channel get to host that show? It was a new venture in which I am sure there were a lot of unknowns. What "well known" host would have taken that gig? I dont think many non golf fans are going to watch, no matter who the host is.

If Jack was doing what he did back in the day now, the golf channel would be all over that also and most wouldn't complain. Tiger haters try to mask it as not liking it this or that, but it really comes down to skin color in my opinion.

Tiger made the game what it had become and why the pro's make what they do today. I know it was his own doing, but he also weathered the media coverage of the past couple of years to go along with his 10 years of dominance prior to that. Today he shot the best round on the course and climbed within a Rory dunking one in the pond of a possible playoff, shouldn't he have gotten the press for that?

They showed a good bit of Rose's shots today, what has he done to deserve the coverage?

If Jack was doing what he did back in the day now, the golf channel would be all over that also and most wouldn't complain. Tiger haters try to mask it as not liking it this or that, but it really comes down to skin color in my opinion.

Tiger made the game what it had become and why the pro's make what they do today. I know it was his own doing, but he also weathered the media coverage of the past couple of years to go along with his 10 years of dominance prior to that. Today he shot the best round on the course and climbed within a Rory dunking one in the pond of a possible playoff, shouldn't he have gotten the press for that?

They showed a good bit of Rose's shots today, what has he done to deserve the coverage?

Im not sure I could disagree with this post more. Not everybody that wants variety in golf is a "hater" and certainly not a racist.

He was in the Top 5.

Also, did you just call Tiger haters raciest? or am I reading this wrong?

LOL, what a blanket statement. Dude, I think Tiger haters get a bad wrap. We aren't haters, we're realists. It's the Tiger fanatics that can't look at things from a realistic point of view. Most of the "Tiger haters" bring up good points about the status of his game. However, the Tiger lovers can't take the blinders off long enough to actually see these points.

More people are interested in the big names then the not. On Sunday's I want to see what the top of the leader board is doing. I don't care about the guy that's 10 strokes off the lead. Just my .02

Whoa.....so if someone doesnt like Tiger it's because they are racist??? There is a lot that people can dislike Tiger about, and none of it has to do with the color of his skin.

:confused2:

I don't like Tiger because I don't like guys that do the things he did to his wife and kids. Not sure why you would ever play that card here. Pretty sad.

Big names or big stories are the only thing that gets the casual American sports fan interested in golf. We know the big names are Tiger, Phil and a small sprinkling of a few others.

Without those names, casual American golf fans will only turn in to see a big story. Best example I can think of is Casey Martin. Dude didn't do much on the course to warrant the attention he received. He got attention because of his story and because the casual fan would check in to see if he could 'make it'.

Big names or big stories are the only thing that gets the casual American sports fan interested in golf. We know the big names are Tiger, Phil and a small sprinkling of a few others.

Without those names, casual American golf fans will only turn in to see a big story. Best example I can think of is Casey Martin. Dude didn't do much on the course to warrant the attention he received. He got attention because of his story and because the casual fan would check in to see if he could 'make it'.

Bingo.

Ummm. what? Can you clarify that? In your opinion the haters are racist?

This is the dumbest thread to date. Too much TW, we can all agree the networks need to be more selective with his coverage. But he makes money and until Rory beccomes the poster boy for Madison Ave they will follow the golden goose.
EK was announced as the host of morning drive and that was only reason I tuned in. Not for his knowledge of the game I love but his persona and how he is the yang to Gary's ying.
Tiger has fans and non fans. Fans root for their guy blindly and non fans accuse them of having blinders. It has nothing to do with the color or his skin. Hell tiger doesn't even consider himself a black man. So if he does then who else does. The statement made wasn't calling all of you racist so take it down a notch. I don't agree with the post but don't take it to the ledge every time something isn't worded exactly the way you want it. On the other side maybe proof read before posting.

Yoccos has a man crush on Tiger

Wtc does this mean??? Lol I highly encourage you to read all my posts on Tiger. :)

I don't really get everyone saying we need less Tiger. did we exactly miss a ton of coverage on other golfers? I personally think the " we see too much" Tiger is blown way out of proportion. anyone who doesn't want more Tiger than others but wants the game to keep growing, look at his effects on the ratings. people don't give two whatnots about Rors being number one. Minus the more in depth golf fan.

Sent from Pamn

Wtc does this mean??? Lol I highly encourage you to read all my posts on Tiger. :)

I don't really get everyone saying we need less Tiger. did we exactly miss a ton of coverage on other golfers? I personally think the " we see too much" Tiger is blown way out of proportion. anyone who doesn't want more Tiger than others but wants the game to keep growing, look at his effects on the ratings. people don't give two whatnots about Rors being number one. Minus the more in depth golf fan.

Sent from Pamn

I agree. Tiger shot 62 today, who else besides Rory was really the story today?

I agree. Tiger shot 62 today, who else besides Rory was really the story today?

One could argue Westwood, but I agree, TW and Rory are the stories here.

Fellas, fellas, fellas. Obviously Tigger moves the needle and is worthy of the coverage and media attention. A thread started about the same time as this here at THP! re: Rory has half as many comments as this one. And Rory WON the tournament and became number one in the world in the process. Tiger finishes T-2 and the debate strikes up. A competitive Tiger Woods is great for golf and it's fans. Get used to it.

One could argue Westwood, but I agree, TW and Rory are the stories here.

Poor Westwood could shoot a 59 and not get a ton of press. He is one of my favs but it just doesn't happen always I see a lot of him. Its a huge catch 22 imo with golf coverage on tv.

My real beef with coverage is all the commercials and useless banter we see. If they could find a way to make the broadcast incorporate golf shots it would allow more golfers to get exposure. I love the legends but do we need to see their faces when they talk? Can we not see some golf shots?

Sent from Pamn

This thread makes me laugh.

On another note....Tigers shot into 18....shot of the year thus far??

Westwood wins a major and starts pushing Rory he will move the needle. No one will move the needle
like TW, Jack, The Shark, Arnie, so
take them out of the mix and you have a very solid tour with great story lines.......for the diehard golfer.

It funny as I warmed up this morning all heard was talk of TW. That talk continued in the grill room after the round and on the bus. No one even mentioned the new #1. They talked TW all day, these were all locals at the club we played.

That skin color comment was the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Kevin

I think they should incorporate pro tracer for every shot. I'm with Tmex, I want more golf shot coverage. I get sick of tee shots and putts.

They should incorporate more shots of the players' WAGs

That skin color comment was the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Kevin

Exactly.. His attitude and arrogance would be in issue with me no mater what color his skin was. THAT is why I am not a Woods fan.. We can all sit back and wait for his old "side kick" buttwipe Stevie to write a book..

Now that will be funny..

I think they should incorporate pro tracer for every shot. I'm with Tmex, I want more golf shot coverage. I get sick of tee shots and putts.

I love the pro tracer. It's funny that my draws look like pros hooks

Back