Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized the title of this thread doesn't make sense anymore and must be changed.

Breeze edit the title bro.

So I OEM'ed a blackberry playbook yesterday. Mainly because of the price and good reviews of the new update. Plus our resident playbook owner and only playbook owner in the US telling me how much he likes his.

So. While I do really like the smaller size and the screen is amazing its just too lacking. No apps at all. Like none. And I read up on loading android apps. No thanks. Not when it's so easy on the iPad. And it just doesn't work very well. It wants to update some of the preloaded apps like Facebook but never works. They have updates but won't work. Wtc. The app world just blows. Says it can't connect. The $199 price just isn't worth it. Love the screen. The os is better but still not that good. Hardware is actually really really good. Love the soft touch no finger print back. Email. It sucks. And this is blackberry. Wtc! So it's going back. If this is the best they can do I fear for them.

So I OEM'ed a blackberry playbook yesterday. Mainly because of the price and good reviews of the new update. Plus our resident playbook owner and only playbook owner in the US telling me how much he likes his.

So. While I do really like the smaller size and the screen is amazing its just too lacking. No apps at all. Like none. And I read up on loading android apps. No thanks. Not when it's so easy on the iPad. And it just doesn't work very well. It wants to update some of the preloaded apps like Facebook but never works. They have updates but won't work. Wtc. The app world just blows. Says it can't connect. The $199 price just isn't worth it. Love the screen. The os is better but still not that good. Hardware is actually really really good. Love the soft touch no finger print back. Email. It sucks. And this is blackberry. Wtc! So it's going back. If this is the best they can do I fear for them.
Title has been changed and I'm sorry about the playbook. One of my employees had one for about a couple of days too.

Title has been changed and I'm sorry about the playbook. One of my employees had one for about a couple of days too.

Such good hardware but just too many shortcomings. Going back!

Ya, I wanted one for a while but the Kindle so far has done everything I need a tablet to do.

Ya, I wanted one for a while but the Kindle so far has done everything I need a tablet to do.

Yeah it's pretty bad when after a few hours it was back in the box already. Back to the iPad.

I hear ya dude, that was pretty much my exact thoughts when I had mine.

Before I make my final laptop decision, I have one question. Does anyone know of a place where I can pretty much completely customize a laptop? Like take a frame and put what I want in it. I want a lightweight machine with a good processor and plenty of RAM, but I don't need a big internal hard drive or really good graphics or anything. They all seem to be grouped together. Thanks.

Before I make my final laptop decision, I have one question. Does anyone know of a place where I can pretty much completely customize a laptop? Like take a frame and put what I want in it. I want a lightweight machine with a good processor and plenty of RAM, but I don't need a big internal hard drive or really good graphics or anything. They all seem to be grouped together. Thanks.

Have you tried the dell website? They used to be pretty good though they did have some minimum specs.

You could always do it yourself also. Just buy a model you like aesthetically that will support the max components you want.

I'm partial to ASUS myself, but you can find what you want quite easily.

I am looking forward to the iPad3 launch on Wednesday. Hoping Apple will take orders the same day or soon after.

It's easier to side load an app than it is to download from Itunes... Were you drunk when using this?

It's easier to side load an app than it is to download from Itunes... Were you drunk when using this?

Stop. Unless I missed the Side Loading App store its not easier. Your like a scorned lover.

Stop. Unless I missed the Side Loading App store its not easier. Your like a scorned lover.

Steps to Sideload:

1. Set to development mode (one swipe in options menu)
2. Pull up app to side load
3. Download apps (multiple)
4. Load apps to playbook (I loaded 8 in a total of 15 mins).

5. Victory!

Just picked up a stand alone GPS Unit for the Tour Van. We wanted something away from our smartphones that would be just dedicated to this task. Went with the Rand McNally 5510 and it is very cool. It is made specifically for the RV driver and has some features that will just make life easier.

Just picked up a stand alone GPS Unit for the Tour Van. We wanted something away from our smartphones that would be just dedicated to this task. Went with the Rand McNally 5510 and it is very cool. It is made specifically for the RV driver and has some features that will just make life easier.

Thats a good pickup JB. As far as going standalone over the phone GPS. I'm not too familiar with Rand McNally... I just usually think Garmin and whatnot.

Thats a good pickup JB. As far as going standalone over the phone GPS. I'm not too familiar with Rand McNally... I just usually think Garmin and whatnot.

Both of us struggled with GPS losing signal with phone GPS's too often compared to stand alone. We looked at Garmin and Magellan and the latter has an RV specific device, but the Rand McNally came with full lifetime map updates and just a few more features that we liked.

Steps to Sideload:

1. Set to development mode (one swipe in options menu)
2. Pull up app to side load
3. Download apps (multiple)
4. Load apps to playbook (I loaded 8 in a total of 15 mins).

5. Victory!

that sure seems like a lot more work than:

1. Click on App Store widget
2. Find App you want
3. Instal

Both of us struggled with GPS losing signal with phone GPS's too often compared to stand alone. We looked at Garmin and Magellan and the latter has an RV specific device, but the Rand McNally came with full lifetime map updates and just a few more features that we liked.

That you can't beat.

As good as the phones have become there just isnt any real replacement for a standalone GPS. I finally broke down and grabbed a Garmin which Ive been pretty happy with so far, for my needs.

that sure seems like a lot more work than:

1. Click on App Store widget
2. Find App you want
3. Instal

It can but when you can load multiple apps without having to keep re-entering your itunes password or updating your billing info everytime you want to buy something if it's been more than a day.... I loaded 8 apps in the time I could load 3 in the itunes store. I'm not saying itunes isnt good but good lord if its not the most annoying appstore on the planet. Do I really have to confirm I'm ok with the user agreement every day?

So I went to AT&T and they said I could upgrade my wifes phone but they would send her a txt message completely defeating the purpose of trying to surprise her and there was no way to stop it from happening. I really hate AT&T sometimes.

It can but when you can load multiple apps without having to keep re-entering your itunes password or updating your billing info everytime you want to buy something if it's been more than a day.... I loaded 8 apps in the time I could load 3 in the itunes store. I'm not saying itunes isnt good but good lord if its not the most annoying appstore on the planet. Do I really have to confirm I'm ok with the user agreement every day?

Don't you work in the security arena for banks? Just sayin'. It takes me about less than .5 seconds to click the "ok" button.

You know Kmac is thorough with his technology. That playbook wasn't cutting the mustard. Don't take it personally buddy. We still like you.

Seems to be a bit bigger than the regular Garmin type devices as well, imagine that would be helpful while in an RV as well.

Don't you work in the security arena for banks? Just sayin'. It takes me about less than .5 seconds to click the "ok" button.

You know Kmac is thorough with his technology. That playbook wasn't cutting the mustard. Don't take it personally buddy. We still like you.

Lol shhhhhhh. I sure do buddy but do I really have to do that? Then add my payment information again? Really? I can't.

I still love you guys too. This Rory Turd Whisperer love has upset my balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back