Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

I have been trying to incorporate the 53° a little more into my game and had some good success with it yesterday. It's a pretty versatile wedge in that I can keep it low easily or even open it up a bit for a high lob if needed. I was able to do just that yesterday to a pin that was just a couple yards off the front of the green from 30 yards or so. Just a little open and it got up in the air and stopped very quick.

Greens are pretty receptive right now. It's not the way I typically play a wedge shot, but I actually spun two full 49° shots back a yard or two, which surprised me. Also had a nice 3/4 shot from 70 yards that needed to stay low to avoid some hanging branches. Gave me my best shot at birdie all day.

Hawk, what are you using your wedges for around the green? Meaning, what are you typically grabbing for a greenside bunker, what are you grabbing for a just off the green pitch, etc...

Hawk, what are you using your wedges for around the green? Meaning, what are you typically grabbing for a greenside bunker, what are you grabbing for a just off the green pitch, etc...

For greenside bunker I'm using the 57° every time.

Off the green, I'm still sort of experimenting. I used the 53° a lot yesterday, but I'd typically use the 49° unless I was really short sided. I was pretty happy with the 53° for chip shots and pitches, so I think I'll continue with it a little more. The one time I would have normally used the 57° from the fringe I just decided to putt it.

Thanks Hawk. Are you 2 dot across the board?

Yea and I'm glad I went that route. I used to be obsessed with really low bounce, but I regret it looking back. I can open the two dots up as much as I want to and I don't gouge the earth as bad when I put a bigger swing on them.

I put the new 588s into play yesterday and walked away amazed. I wasn't able to warm up with them prior to the round, but fell back in love with the 588s after my first shot. Thanks Cleveland for bringing the 588s back.

Yea and I'm glad I went that route. I used to be obsessed with really low bounce, but I regret it looking back. I can open the two dots up as much as I want to and I don't gouge the earth as bad when I put a bigger swing on them.

Im with you here. I really like the 2 dot wedges and have always used 1 dot in my highest loft. I have had no issue with the 2 dot 58* even when opening it all the way up.

Is it bad that I don't even know what dot my wedges are? I haven't even looked to be honest. I know one thing though: these wedges are sick. I'm getting very, very comfortable with them. I'm going to wear these babies out!

I put the new 588s into play yesterday and walked away amazed. I wasn't able to warm up with them prior to the round, but fell back in love with the 588s after my first shot. Thanks Cleveland for bringing the 588s back.

That's good to hear. How'd that Nippon shaft work out for you?

Im with you here. I really like the 2 dot wedges and have always used 1 dot in my highest loft. I have had no issue with the 2 dot 58* even when opening it all the way up.

I think part of it was the courses I played at the time. They were hardpan city and my eyes didn't like the extra bounce. I typically just close the wedge a little if I want to eliminate that now.

Is it bad that I don't even know what dot my wedges are? I haven't even looked to be honest. I know one thing though: these wedges are sick. I'm getting very, very comfortable with them. I'm going to wear these babies out!

I don't see these going anywhere for a really long time either. It was an easy transition from the CG15's and I really think I like these better on full shots.

I don't see these going anywhere for a really long time either. It was an easy transition from the CG15's and I really think I like these better on full shots.

These are just more responsive to me. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I just think they're more prone to doing what I want them to.

That's good to hear. How'd that Nippon shaft work out for you?

It flew pretty high in the 50*, but I want to give it another range session before I pull it and put a DG Spinner in it. High enough to fly the green from 130 downwind. Thats like 10 yards farther than my previous Burner 2 AW would've gone downwind. Like you, I love the 2 dot bounce. Plenty to help get my 58* out of the sand and easy to open up for the flop.

I haven't seen the ultra forgiveness (especially on toe misses) like I saw in the Burner 2 wedges, but the good shots end up closer to the hole than the good shots on the B2 wedges.

When the grooves on my original 588 54* wear thin, I have no doubt the 588 forged 2 dot will be replacing it.

These are just more responsive to me. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I just think they're more prone to doing what I want them to.

I'd agree with that 100%. As I'm getting a little more time with them I'm starting to feel confident in being a little more creative and less mechanical which led to some really good results.

It flew pretty high in the 50*, but I want to give it another range session before I pull it and put a DG Spinner in it. High enough to fly the green from 130 downwind. Thats like 10 yards farther than my previous Burner 2 AW would've gone downwind. Like you, I love the 2 dot bounce. Plenty to help get my 58* out of the sand and easy to open up for the flop.

I haven't seen the ultra forgiveness (especially on toe misses) like I saw in the Burner 2 wedges, but the good shots end up closer to the hole than the good shots on the B2 wedges.

When the grooves on my original 588 54* wear thin, I have no doubt the 588 forged 2 dot will be replacing it.

Yea, I imagine that thing is putting the ball way up there. For what it's worth, I like that Tour Concept shaft better on full shots than the Spinners. It does a fine job of letting you manipulate ball height, but doesn't feel quite as clunky to me.

We've been having some awesome weather here in Indiana so I've had a chance to spend some time with these wedges. I'm still trying to dial in the yardages, but I've been pleased with the feel and spin thus far. I have had some struggles out of the sand, but I think it's more me than the clubs.

Used the 50* a lot during the round today with so so success. For whatever reason I am struggling with the shot height, distance has dropped between 5-7 yards from my prior 50*. I am beginning to wonder if for some reason the laser milling on the face grabs the ball and as a result the ball runs up the face a little, this is the first wedge I've played from Cleveland that features those extra grooves.

By the same note I'm loving the spin the 54 and 58* generate for me, especially with the 58* as it has become my go to club from within 40 yards. Still have some work to do until I get confident enough to use the 54* more around the greens with different shots other than your typical shot.

The course I played today had quite a bit of waste bunkers that are coquina stone. It did quite a number on the black pearl finish but wedges look cool with character scratches right?

had a great couple range sessions with my 55* the last week. Went to a nice range tonight and was knocking 80 yard shots with it within 15' for about 20 balls. i think this is more like my r11s where you don't have to try to swing so hard and swing easy and let the wedge do the work. was getting a nice high ball flight tonight too and watched them just plop down near the hole after a little roll out or spin back depending on what shot i was hitting. i still am on the fence if i wanna get a 50* or stick with my AW. still think im gonna stick with the AW for now. but i like hearing all the good results with everyone elses 50*. least i know thats a good option moving forward.

Today was the first time that I felt truly comfortable from anywhere inside 80 yards when it came to touch and the results showed. I had a more short to mid range pitch shots today than I would have liked, but I gave myself a good chance at saving the hole quite a few times. Didn't convert as many times as I would have liked on the green, but at least I had a chance I guess. I was able to easily keep it low or lob it depending on where the pin was.

Best shot today was the lone bunker shot I had. Nothing special, but it went up, checked and rolled to about 4 feet. Sounds simple, but I don't take those things for granted lol.

Today was the first time that I felt truly comfortable from anywhere inside 80 yards when it came to touch and the results showed. I had a more short to mid range pitch shots today than I would have liked, but I gave myself a good chance at saving the hole quite a few times. Didn't convert as many times as I would have liked on the green, but at least I had a chance I guess. I was able to easily keep it low or lob it depending on where the pin was.

Best shot today was the lone bunker shot I had. Nothing special, but it went up, checked and rolled to about 4 feet. Sounds simple, but I don't take those things for granted lol.
Great update Hawk, it really is important to be comfortable with your wedges.

MarcH really helped with my pitch shots dude. More rotation/less hands really helped me avoid trouble.

Nice work Hawk. I believe these wedges are something special. I think it will be highly advantageous to have had these in the bag as long as we have when the MC rolls around.

Nice work Hawk. I believe these wedges are something special. I think it will be highly advantageous to have had these in the bag as long as we have when the MC rolls around.

I agree with that dude. I've felt good with the chip shots and full shots, but having those off-yardage shots down is important, especially to my game. Having that come together in March is big for me. They will be the cookiesdreamcrushers :)

i was finally able to get my wedges dirty yesterday! i haven't taken them to the range or chipping/putting green yet, so it was an on course adjustment to get used to spin and distances. but the good thing was, i also gamed new irons as well, so i missed a lot of greens and was able to use the 56 a lot! i only needed the 52 one other time and came up short of the green from around 100yds, but i hit it very well and right on target, just got too much under it and got caught up in the wind.
the 56 performed very well for me around the greens and i have a feeling once i get used to that club, it will become my absolute favorite. also, the greens were a little soft, but that wedge can make a ball sit down quick fast and in a hurry if you ask it to. i was also able to put a nice roll on the ball and save par on another hole (HOTD thread, hope to be uploaded shortly). there were some bad chips and misjudged distances/swings, but practice should take care of all of that.

one thing i'm looking forward to is being able to put all 3 wedges into play from around 100ish yards and in. these wedges are so easy to hit, it should be illegal! full swings, 75%, half, 25%, chips, etc....anything! they just instill so much confidence in me, when i stand over the ball at address, it's almost as if nothing could ever go wrong.
very excited to get my golf season started...

Glad you got them out on the course, tnolan. Mine have been busy saving my tail lately.

Come on tax returns! Need 588 wedges.

The only struggles I'm having are with full shots. Hopefully as the season gets in full swing and I spend some more time with them, it will come around. I'm hitting 75% shots great, but for some reason when I make a full turn, I'm all over the place.

Back