Tom watson - lessons of a lifetime' instructional two-dvd set

I just got this in today and will share my thoughts on this once I study the lessons.

Very enjoyable videos. Eidelweiss

I may go watch mine again tonight or at least I will watch them again before I go try to play golf again or break out the compression board (hopefully the weather is good tomorrow as I need the practice and possibly foolishly promised video).

(probably going to be merged with the other thread on the DVDs)

One of my favorite DVD sets. I really enjoyed watching this series and learned a few new things. I think there is something for everyone is these DVD's, enjoy!

Sounds great. I have always thought a lot of Mr. Watson.

this is one ive been wanting to watch - need to add to my todo list!

Im looking forward to your comments. I have this on my list of things to get. I like listening to Tom and from some of the short segments Ive seen, it looks like it would be very good for beginner to advanced.

A rainy day in GA - what better to do than watch these DVD's. Here's a run down of the one I'm about to check out:

Disc One (of Two)
Definition of terms
The Grip
Grip Pressure
The Setup
Aim & Alignment
Two Methods of Aiming
Ball Position
"The Secret"
Find Your Waggle
The Takeaway
The Back Swing
The Back Swing, a Closer Lok
Transition and Down Swing
Impact
Follow Through to Finish
Rhythm
The Hook
The Slice
Low (or Punch) Shot
High Shot
Uneven lies
Adding Distance

A rainy day in GA - what better to do than watch these DVD's. Here's a run down of the one I'm about to check out:

Disc One (of Two)
Definition of terms
The Grip
Grip Pressure
The Setup
Aim & Alignment
Two Methods of Aiming
Ball Position
"The Secret"
Find Your Waggle
The Takeaway
The Back Swing
The Back Swing, a Closer Lok
Transition and Down Swing
Impact
Follow Through to Finish
Rhythm
The Hook
The Slice
Low (or Punch) Shot
High Shot
Uneven lies
Adding Distance

Yep -- I will be sharing this will KellyBo as the day here in middle ga. where thunder storms are moving through all day is perfect for the dvd viewing

Merged the two threads for you OG.

Tom Watson Lessons of A Lifeime Disc #2

Tom Watson Lessons of A Lifeime Disc #2

Topics on Disc #2 Include:

23. Recreating "The Shot"
24. Basic Chip Shot
25. Spot Method Drill
26. More About Chipping
27. The High/Soft Lob
28. Chipping Out of Heavy Rough
29. Chipping Out of Uneven Lies
30. The Basic Bunker Shot
31. Bunker Play: Buried Lie
32. Uphill Bunker Shot
33. Downhill Bunker Shot
34. Long Bunker Shot
35. Fairway Bunker Shot
36. Playing With Hybrids
37. Full Swing In Review
38. Putting
39. Putting Drill
40. How to Putt Under Pressure
41. Play in the Wind: Putting
42. Play in the Wind: Full Shots
43. How Can I Stop Slicing the Ball
44. How Can I Stop Hooking the Ball
45. Bruce Edwards Trbute
46. Behind The Scenes

I might not get through all these topics today however I will post comments on some of the lessons that stand out.

Last edited:
Very good instructional DVD set includes Disc 1 & 2.

23. Recreating "The Shot"
24. Basic Chip Shot
25. Spot Method Drill
26. More About Chipping
27. The High/Soft Lob
28. Chipping Out of Heavy Rough
29. Chipping Out of Uneven Lies

My thoughts for the 23 - 29 topics are simply the main points I picked up. You must of course buy the DVD set to get the full benefits.

* Always pick a spot on the green to land your ball. Make sure you find the bottom of your swing arc. According to slope of land use different grip positions long or short. Practice chipping with right hand only. Many more great tips to help your chipping.

30. The Basic Bunker Shot
31. Bunker Play: Buried Lie
32. Uphill Bunker Shot
33. Downhill Bunker Shot
34. Long Bunker Shot
35. Fairway Bunker Shot

* Use flange of SW with stance left and club to the right of target. You can also use the right hand only drill with an open face out of a green side bunker during practice sessions. Teaches the feel of what the right hand is suppose to do. Great tips on buried lies! Different slope lies in bunkers require different body tilts. Very interesting tips. Buried lie tips are great as well.

36. Playing With Hybrids
37. Full Swing In Review

* Tom goes through the technique required to hit the hybrid clubs solid. Beautiful demonstration on how to get it done from the fairway and the rough.

38. Putting
39. Putting Drill
40. How to Putt Under Pressure
41. Play in the Wind: Putting

* I think all of us need to know these tips and they will certainly help you on the green. Very interesting and I loved the way he described putting into the wind. Confidence and don't be afraid to commit to your putt is essential. Great stuff here!

42. Play in the Wind: Full Shots
43. How Can I Stop Slicing the Ball
44. How Can I Stop Hooking the Ball

Tips that no doubt will help the average amateur to see and fix the common ball flight problems we all have with our swings.

45. Bruce Edwards Trbute
46. Behind The Scenes

I totally enjoyed this two set dvd from Tom Watson and I think you will as well. Great info and practice tips. It's like having a coach right in the comfort of your own home. The way he demonstrates and describe the techniques are very easy to understand. I give this teaching dvd an A+ .
I hope you have enjoyed my partial review on a very good instructional DVD set

Last edited:
After reviewing disc one of this CD, I would highly recommend it. It covers so many things but the lessons are fairly brief and simple with great visuals of what he is teaching. Since I'm a visual learner, this is so helpful to me in understanding the concepts.

I've been taking lessons for almost a year now and I've been taught a lot of the things he is reviewing. However, it's just so hard to remember everything. Having this DVD makes it easy to refresh my memory. I had many "oh yeah" moments today that have me excited to get back out there and fix a few things I've been doing wrong.

I really have to work on my posture and maintaining spine angle throughout my swing. One drill that he had that really caught my attention was taking a coat hanger apart, straigtening it out and making a circle slightly larger than a golf ball on the end of it. You stick it in the ground at an angle and view the ball on setup through the circle. During your swing, you have to keep your eye on the ball through that circle. This is a great drill that I'm going to try that promotes spine angle and staying on plane through back swing and impact.

Another thing that stuck out to me was that the first two feet of your back swing is the most important part of your swing. You must keep your arms connected. Your left hand, forearm and shoulder must move in unison. I know that was a big problem for me when I first started.

He talks about how important rhythm is to tying the swing together. He said a friend of his suggested using the word "edelweiss" (sounds like Ay-dul-vice) for finding rhythm. Some people have fast rhythm (he does) and some have slow (Couples, Els).

Great video covering all the basic fundamentals of golf and I'm so glad we got it.

After reviewing disc one of this CD, I would highly recommend it. It covers so many things but the lessons are fairly brief and simple with great visuals of what he is teaching. Since I'm a visual learner, this is so helpful to me in understanding the concepts.

I've been taking lessons for almost a year now and I've been taught a lot of the things he is reviewing. However, it's just so hard to remember everything. Having this DVD makes it easy to refresh my memory. I had many "oh yeah" moments today that have me excited to get back out there and fix a few things I've been doing wrong.

I really have to work on my posture and maintaining spine angle throughout my swing. One drill that he had that really caught my attention was taking a coat hanger apart, straigtening it out and making a circle slightly larger than a golf ball on the end of it. You stick it in the ground at an angle and view the ball on setup through the circle. During your swing, you have to keep your eye on the ball through that circle. This is a great drill that I'm going to try that promotes spine angle and staying on plane through back swing and impact.

Another thing that stuck out to me was that the first two feet of your back swing is the most important part of your swing. You must keep your arms connected. Your left hand, forearm and shoulder must move in unison. I know that was a big problem for me when I first started.

He talks about how important rhythm is to tying the swing together. He said a friend of his suggested using the word "edelweiss" (sounds like Ay-dul-vice) for finding rhythm. Some people have fast rhythm (he does) and some have slow (Couples, Els).

Great video covering all the basic fundamentals of golf and I'm so glad we got it.

I can attest to that as I just might be the poster child for this point. I am glad you and OG have bought this video and already am enjoying your posts, keep us updated.

+1 to this thread - this set is a great instructional tool that covers a lot of everything. Not many secrets but a lot of grade A instruction. I really like how well it was put together, by the way. It comes across as very polished and I like Tom Watson even more after this.

My only critique is the 70's Shaft-esque music in the background. At one point during music on a slow-motion swing review I found myself singing in Barry White's voice, " shaft..... graphite shaft...," and " oh yeah..."

At least my wife found it funny.

My only critique is the 70's Shaft-esque music in the background. At one point during music on a slow-motion swing review I found myself singing in Barry White's voice, " shaft..... graphite shaft...," and " oh yeah..."

At least my wife found it funny.

LOL. Now I'm pretty sure I should get this DVD set if it's going to have sweet 70's soundtrack music.

Still pretty interested in this DVD. I have Watson's "Timeless Swing" book and I like it a lot. Hard to believe this DVD is still $50, though. Can't convince myself to drop that much coin on it.

Josh, that's for re-hashing this thread. I'm really interested in this dvd, and I'll probably pick it up soon.

I still haven't gotten this DVD yet.....don't know why. I've wanted it since it came out. I've downloaded several clips from it off Youtube.

BTW: I just found an old VHS copy of "Golf Legend Gary Player on Golf" which came out in 1986. It's fantastic if you can find a copy. I'm going to transfer it to digital.

I bought the Tom Watson DVD today. Will watch it over the next couple of days.

I would give it an 8 out of 10.

It was a little lite in some areas that left me wanting more. Like driving, ball position for certain shots... It went a little fast in some areas, maybe to save time. But it's a really good DVD set that gives a great overall instruction. Especially with the fundamentals.

Snagged a copy of this. So far I have watched the 1st DVD. As I expected, this is basically the same content as Tom's 'Timeless Swing' book but certain parts of his instruction come across better in one media or the other. "Turning in a barrel" definately works better on video. I do like that Tom speaks more to what to think about in your setup and swing than just throwing a bunch of drills at you. Mostly, I read instructional books or watch shows on the Golf Channel so I can't really compare this to other instructional DVDs. That being said, I feel like this has more in common with an instructional book...and for me that's a good thing.

Tom is very clear in his instruction. If you want something to help you get back to basics, I really don't think you can do better than this.

I read the book last week and it's very good. Lots of good pictures and very clear instructions from Tom.

Back