The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I just dont understand it. I dont think its as big a deal as some, but the guy himself said he needed to fix it in his "apology". If he says its wrong, and does it anyway, then how in the world can it not be wrong. Tiger is always right.
In his world, he is. I just dont understand the people that take up for him being an absolute jacka$$. Everyone that can look out it without Tiger colored glasses knows the guy is a first class Prick, but I just wont ever understand the people that rationalize his actions.

In his world, he is. I just dont understand the people that take up for him being an absolute jacka$$. Everyone that can look out it without Tiger colored glasses knows the guy is a first class Prick, but I just wont ever understand the people that rationalize his actions.

Listen, I am all for rooting for your favorites. It brings excitement to my business and I think it makes golf what it is. Root for whoever you want. Root for the guy or team that makes you go to the edge of the couch and tune in for every shot. I think that is truly the best part of sports and something I miss and have missed in my life for the last decade or so.

But don't preach that "all the other guys do it" or "it does not effect me" because those are pitiful excuses to actions that should not be taking place. I have said this before and will again here, I am rooting for the return of Tiger Woods for many reasons and expected it this weekend no less, however I have never in my life seen an athlete have more apologists and "defense attorneys" than this guy.

The guy is the best player that ever lived. He is also a guy that had an image that was perfectly manicured by a team of people including himself. It failed, it was a sham and it was full of lies about a guy that is frankly not all that likable as a person in my opinion. Root for him and his golf all one wants to, but please dont expect everybody to gloss over or not care about the human element, because that is not reality. Just as we vilify other athletes and celebrities for their shortcomings, this one is no different and the shortcomings are plentiful.

Steps off soap box and certainly not directed at anybody specifically.

Listen, I am all for rooting for your favorites. It brings excitement to my business and I think it makes golf what it is. Root for whoever you want. Root for the guy or team that makes you go to the edge of the couch and tune in for every shot. I think that is truly the best part of sports and something I miss and have missed in my life for the last decade or so.

But don't preach that "all the other guys do it" or "it does not effect me" because those are pitiful excuses to actions that should not be taking place. I have said this before and will again here, I am rooting for the return of Tiger Woods for many reasons and expected it this weekend no less, however I have never in my life seen an athlete have more apologists and "defense attorneys" than this guy.

The guy is the best player that ever lived. He is also a guy that had an image that was perfectly manicured by a team of people including himself. It failed, it was a sham and it was full of lies about a guy that is frankly not all that likable as a person in my opinion. Root for him and his golf all one wants to, but please dont expect everybody to gloss over or not care about the human element, because that is not reality. Just as we vilify other athletes and celebrities for their shortcomings, this one is no different and the shortcomings are plentiful.

Steps off soap box and certainly not directed at anybody specifically.

Well said, as usual. I think Tiger the person is a huge douche. I probably wouldn't be friends with him. I'd play a round of golf with him just because hell, he's the best golfer to ever hit a ball. I pull for him because of the things he's been able to do to a golf ball that noone else has. I certainly don't defend him to my deathbed, but sometimes it's interesting to watch the die hards clash. Anyways, I will get my fist bump if I ever see him again. Damn straight.

I'm a huge Tiger fan and even I can't excuse how much of a jackass he has been the last few years. The club kick yesterday was really pathetic! I know he's frustrated, that part I can understand but acting like a complete tool is ridiculous. The swearing doesn't even bother, most of the others do it as well, but when you drop kick your clubs after a bad shot during the masters its time to grow the hell up!

Best player or not TW looked like a first class ass on national TV, more then once. He has lost a great deal of my support as a fan simply because my son watches golf and sees his antics.
I love watching him when he is on but now when he is off we are greeted with tantrums, that just look horrible and I am embarrassed for him.
I will say this, comparing him to
Phil isn't really fair because PM is just in a class all his own. TW fans don't like him because he gives them warm a fuzzies but because of his skills with the golf ball. PM has enough niceness that more then makes up for TWs lack there of.

Reactions: JB
You cant be serious here right? The guy made an effin billion dollars by being the fakest man on the planet. Dont tell me now that you dont want him to be fake.

I know your smarter than this...But do any of those guys have a green jacket?

Part 1: He's been a club tossed and swearer on the course for... I have no clue. Probably forever lol. I'm just saying, if he says he's working on it, I'm not expecting him to all of a sudden start saying oh golly gee when he hits a bad club. Doing that would just be stupid and more fake than he was all those years. I'm not approving of his actions, but I'd rather see him say it's been this way forever, it's never going to go away, but I'll do my best to not do it as much. I know it's like a lifelong addict saying they're off the junk forever and then back at it soon, but I'm not sure what people expect from a guy who just doesn't care what we think ya know?

Part 2: those guys don't have a jacket, but were they not able to show up at 8am on the first tee to watch? Would the examples of Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw, and Nick Faldo have been better choices? They weren't at the first tee either or else they would have gotten some tv time too no?

Ps - stuck watching an awful movie, not trying to dart a topic, just tired of getting nagged for thp'ing during date night haha

Best player or not TW looked like a first class ass on national TV, more then once. He has lost a great deal of my support as a fan simply because my son watches golf and sees his antics.
I love watching him when he is on but now when he is off we are greeted with tantrums, that just look horrible and I am embarrassed for him.
I will say this, comparing him to
Phil isn't really fair because PM is just in a class all his own. TW fans don't like him because he gives them warm a fuzzies but because of his skills with the golf ball. PM has enough niceness that more then makes up for TWs lack there of.

Freddie, I have been trying to pinpoint my feelings watching Tiger meltdown during his round on Friday for a day joe, and you nailed it. I was embarrassed for him, he looked like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum when he didn't get his way. It's a damn shame too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part 1: He's been a club tossed and swearer on the course for... I have no clue. Probably forever lol. I'm just saying, if he says he's working on it, I'm not expecting him to all of a sudden start saying oh golly gee when he hits a bad club.

Dude, its been over 2 years. I understand that every answer Tiger Woods gives to everything is "Its a process and Im getting closer", but I never expected his fans to use the same defense.

Could you imagine where the game would be if Tiger had Phils heart)or whatever you want to call it- character maybe) where Tiger would always sign autographs after rounds, smile at the crowd, or even give high fives to random people. Man I wish that would happen for tiger.

Dude, its been over 2 years. I understand that every answer Tiger Woods gives to everything is "Its a process and Im getting closer", but I never expected his fans to use the same defense.

Lol I'm not saying he's getting closer or it's a process. I'm saying, there's no way you can get a tiger to change his stripes. If he does it less, great, but I'm not expecting him to never do it again, because that's not the kind of guy he's shown to be.

Freddie, I have been trying to pinpoint my feelings watching Tiger meltdown during his round on Friday for a day joe, and you nailed it. I was embarrassed for him, he looked like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum when he didn't get his way. It's a damn shame too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not cool at any event but from a self professes historian of the game, he needed to show some respect and restraint. My dad called me after that tantrum and I heard my mom saying some choice words in the back ground. I think she may be calling his mother....hehehe
We are both fans but he makes it difficult at times. I just hopes he starts becoming more cognizant of his surroundings and maybe realizes he affects millions.

It's not cool at any event but from a self professes historian of the game, he needed to show some respect and restraint. My dad called me after that tantrum and I heard my mom saying some choice words in the back ground. I think she may be calling his mother....hehehe
We are both fans but he makes it difficult at times. I just hopes he starts becoming more cognizant of his surroundings and maybe realizes he affects millions.
Its as though after Earl passed away he quit controlling his tantrums totally along with alot of other things. Like I said before, I realize he's frustrated but geez its embarrassing to watch much less admit being a fan.

I think he should be on the SPCA banned list, the guy should NEVER EVER own a dog!

Its as though after Earl passed away he quit controlling his tantrums totally along with alot of other things. Like I said before, I realize he's frustrated but geez its embarrassing to watch much less admit being a fan.

If TW can't be his own man after the passing of his dad then his dad didn't train him well. From what I know as a kid those tantrums were not tolerated due to racial prejudice and the stigma associated. I guess that lesson was left on the cutting room floor.
I'm cursed yesterday in front of client in anger and felt like arse for a bit. I hate showing outward anger on the course especially in front of clients. I can't imagine how I would feel if all
Eyes were on me.

Good discussion going on in here. Tigger certainly should not kick clubs or whatever else, but he does, and he will continue to. If you don't like it, why come here and complain? Why not just not watch? It doesn't bother me. He gets pissed when he hits a bad shot. That's natural. He just shows his emotions differently. Should he not fist pump or yell when he hits a good shot?

Good discussion going on in here. Tigger certainly should not kick clubs or whatever else, but he does, and he will continue to. If you don't like it, why come here and complain? Why not just not watch? It doesn't bother me. He gets pissed when he hits a bad shot. That's natural. He just shows his emotions differently. Should he not fist pump or yell when he hits a good shot?

While I see your point, there is something to be said about showing emotion and then going over the top with that emotion. Drop kicking clubs is John Daly esque. It's just a classless act. I enjoy watching Tiger play well, and root for him, however I do not like that kind of behavior on a golf course. If you saw the end of the coverage today, Oosthuizen hit a terrible shot going in to either 17 or 18, and he didn't cuss. He didn't throw a club. He bowed his head and put his gloved hand over his face. That is showing emotion without going over the top - and I do like it when a golfer isn't mechanical or emotionless. The highs and lows of this afternoon is what keeps me watching golf. Joy and sorrow and, yes, a bit of anger. But one doesn't have to hurl a club or drop kick it to show disgust in himself.

While I see your point, there is something to be said about showing emotion and then going over the top with that emotion. Drop kicking clubs is John Daly esque. It's just a classless act. I enjoy watching Tiger play well, and root for him, however I do not like that kind of behavior on a golf course. If you saw the end of the coverage today, Oosthuizen hit a terrible shot going in to either 17 or 18, and he didn't cuss. He didn't throw a club. He bowed his head and put his gloved hand over his face. That is showing emotion without going over the top - and I do like it when a golfer isn't mechanical or emotionless. The highs and lows of this afternoon is what keeps me watching golf. Joy and sorrow and, yes, a bit of anger. But one doesn't have to hurl a club or drop kick it to show disgust in himself.

I agree. Like I said, he shouldn't do it. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much. I think it is stupid and classless, but I don't care all that much about it. When you say not going over the top with emotion, should he not celebrate when he does something good too? No fist pumps or yelling, should he tone it down to a quiet wave and smile? :bulgy-eyes:

Why not just not watch it? So what you are saying is not to watch any tournament that he is playing in because they are going to show the hell out of him. So it's our fault for having the TV on and watching a tournament?

I can see where you are coming from, but I don't understand how the "just don't watch" argument can apply here. Are those who don't like to see that type of behavior supposed to turn the tv off when CBS switches their coverage over to a hole that tiger is playing? That wouldn't be a realistic answer to the problem IMO. I think he should learn to control his emotions better or display it in a more tactful manner. And I am not just saying that because it is TW. Out of the guys I regularly play with, no one displays their frustration in that manner. This game is tough, but ultimately you are in control of your attitude and actions.

I agree. Like I said, he shouldn't do it. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much. I think it is stupid and classless, but I don't care all that much about it. When you say not going over the top with emotion, should he not celebrate when he does something good too? No fist pumps or yelling, should he tone it down to a quiet wave and smile? :bulgy-eyes:

Ultimately I don't rag on him too much for it - everyone loses their cool at some point. He just did it in front of lots of people on TV.

As far as celebration goes, I equate the drop kick not to fist pumping or yelling, but to something akin to the Happy Gilmore "bull dance". That's over the top celebration. A Pete Weber-ish crotch chop towards your opponent would be an over the top celebration. But a fist pump and a yell is warranted, especially if it's a big putt to get back in contention or to win a tourney.

Ultimately I don't rag on him too much for it - everyone loses their cool at some point. He just did it in front of lots of people on TV.

As far as celebration goes, I equate the drop kick not to fist pumping or yelling, but to something akin to the Happy Gilmore "bull dance". That's over the top celebration. A Pete Weber-ish crotch chop towards your opponent would be an over the top celebration. But a fist pump and a yell is warranted, especially if it's a big putt to get back in contention or to win a tourney.

I don't know. If someone did the crotch chop towards the other person after sinking the winning putt on 18, I think I'd probably die laughing. Hahaha

I don't know. If someone did the crotch chop towards the other person after sinking the winning putt on 18, I think I'd probably die laughing. Hahaha

I could see Sabbatini doing that. But then again, he'll never sink a winning putt on 18.

I understand you post but have you ever heard the term 'act like you've been there before'?
I don't think it's complaining as much as it is discussing his action in a thread about him. Now if this was in the Masters thread, then I could see your point. He is a large part of golf
and people emulate what they see in the golf world. Kids see this and are influenced by it.
Perfect example, while practicing yesterday I was standing next to a kid dressed like rickie with a mouth like TW. He one handed a half dozen shots, argued with his dad and kept fixing his outfit. Dress how you want and act how you want but I see where you get your inspiration. You is a generalization not you as a person.
The funny thing is that his dad said nothing about his actions. I'm 41 and my dad still checks my attitude if it gets out of control on the course.

I could see Sabbatini doing that. But then again, he'll never sink a winning putt on 18.

I'm just saying, that would be funny under the right circumstances. I may do that to some of my friends next time we're all out playing, since it's a big trash talk fest anyways.

^^^^ really bad combo right there haha

Otherwise I just think kicking and throwing clubs is horrible. I can understand swearing/complaining and Ben dropping the club at a bad shot. But anything other I just shake my head cause you're just embarrassing yourself(it just looks horrible in my opinion)

And you're right Tadashi. I live by "act like you've been there" weather it's an eagle putt or a triple bogey. Very rarely I let my emotions show on the course and it goes for all shot. I talk to myself, I find it best for me, its what I'm comfortable with and just have developed. When I saw tiger kick the club I was embarrassed for him.

Seriously...he is playing at a course some people would die just to see and you act like that? I understand the frustration but kicking and club throwing should never be an option on a golf course

Back