TaylorMade Penta TP5 TP3 & RBZ

There was no TP3 last year so which ball are you referring to?

"Last year's" closest version of the TP3 ball was the TP Black LDP which in fact out spun the Penta off half wedge shots in golf digest testing. (6247 rpm for Penta Vs. 6520 for TP Black LDP) I gamed the TP Black last year and at times it had almost a little too much check off higher lofted irons and short wedges, for my game anyway.

I still am playing that LDP Black - can't knock it out of the bag! Long, straight, and plenty of check. There are still out there in places as well...

I picked up a dozen Penta TP3s at the weekend. The price was good and I've been curious, so I thought I'd give them a go.

Got a round in yesterday, played the same ball all the way round. So, initial impressions?

This ball goes far. I mean further than anything I've been playing this year. I've been through last years Penta, Pro V1 and Z-Star so far (all last years model), and also the Hex Black. I can say that the TP3 flew noticeably further off the tee for me. The one thing I will say is that if I put a bit of side spin on it, the TP3 seemed to be a little more offline than the Hex Black for me, but probably in line with the others mentioned (off the top of my head).

The iron feel is pretty good too. The ball feels soft. Just holding it, doesn't feel very different to last year's Penta. Still got that soft cover. I was stopping mid irons pretty quickly, even though the greens were hard and rolling out. I'm impressed so far...

Short irons. A couple of full wedge shots and again, the ball is checking up very nicely. I could get used to this sort of reaction, as it could be even more predictable than the previous version. One hop and stop action seems accurate.

Half shots. This is where last year's ball really excelled for me. OK, the TP3 wasn't just as quick to stop, but the feel was still there for me, and with a bit of short game practice, I think I could like this. I actually managed to chip in from about 50 yards at the 9th too.

Durability. I know a few people found the previous Penta ball less than durable, so this was on my mind. I scuffed this ball a couple of times in the first 6 or so holes and was worried that it would let me down in this category. I shouldn't have, those first couple of scuffs were all the damage I managed to inflict. I could put this ball in play again.

Wear looked like this -

2012-04-01201305.jpg

2012-04-01201240.jpg

Overall, I'm very impressed and I'll happily keep these in the bag. Loving the extra distance off the tee in particular.

Great to hear that the new TP3 and TP5 are both longer than the original Penta! Perhaps the difference between the TP3 and TP5 is that the TP5 generates less side-spin (based on your review)?

I've been playing the orig. Pentas since they first came out and nothing has been able to kick them out of my bag. Cannot wait to try a sleeve of both balls!

I have been playing the Gamer for the past few years going back to the original and then the V2. I bought a sleeve of TP3's Friday to try head to head given it is a urethane ball for $30 at my club pro shop. I have now played 72 holes with it and here is my mini review for what it's worth.

The two balls surprisingly play very similarly in several categories which is no knock on the TP3 because the Gamer V2 is a great ball. Off the tee, the TP3 is equally as long as the V2. It does carry a tad more side spin but it is a urethane ball so it should be expected. Longer iron shots flight a tad lower than the V2 and were easier to control distance wise. Shorter iron shots flew equally as well as the V2 without much difference until the ball landed on the green. I was able to spin the TP3 back with ease on most shots taken with a 9 iron and below so I ended up further from the hole a lot more than I did with the V2 but that can be easily adjusted with time and practice. Full wedges spun back a lot and half wedges checked up stone dead. Wind is always a factor in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the TP3 really out shinned the V2 there. On a 545 yard par 5 dead into the wind to a green that sits behind a pond and is elevated some 20 feet above the fairway, I played a 9 iron from 125 for my third (20 MPH wind in my face) the V2 landed on the false front and rolled off the front of the green. The TP3 landed on the bank behind the green and flew at least 15 yards past the V2. That was after the TP3 finished 30 yards past the V2 off the tee.

Bottom line, the TP3 is a great ball and really shines in wind. It will be hard to give up my Gamers but I believe it's time.

great review sixcat!

Bottom line, the TP3 is a great ball and really shines in wind. It will be hard to give up my Gamers but I believe it's time.

...that answers lots of questions, thanks guys. The TP Black was the same. I was always surprised how little effect the wind had on that ball. As for the rest of the comments on the TP3 it sounds very much like an updated TP Black with better durability. Should be a better buy if I the covers are more durable and don't cut as easily as the TP Blacks.

Played 23 before I hit a great drive and couldn't find it. It was on the right edge of the fairway and there wasn't rough so I don't know where it went. I thought the durability was really good. I found the ball, so who knows how long the owner used it. Spin was good. Launched great and I think it was about a 1/2 club longer off of my irons than my zstar. Wedges don't over spin from the green side and it feels really soft off the putter. All around great ball and amazing for its price.

Great to hear that the new TP3 and TP5 are both longer than the original Penta! Perhaps the difference between the TP3 and TP5 is that the TP5 generates less side-spin (based on your review)?

I've been playing the orig. Pentas since they first came out and nothing has been able to kick them out of my bag. Cannot wait to try a sleeve of both balls!

Actually, I'd have thought that the TP3 would show less side spin from the driver given the characteristics. I haven't had the chance to compare it to last year's Penta directly in this category yet. I just noticed a little more side spin compared to the Hex Black, although it isn't a problem at all.

In my short experience with it, and given how much I liked last year's ball, I'd definitely recommend picking some up to try.

...that answers lots of questions, thanks guys. The TP Black was the same. I was always surprised how little effect the wind had on that ball. As for the rest of the comments on the TP3 it sounds very much like an updated TP Black with better durability. Should be a better buy if I the covers are more durable and don't cut as easily as the TP Blacks.

I thought it felt slightly softer than the TP Black with much better durability. I should have mentioned it before but i played 72 holes with 2 balls so they are very durable.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I am really a fan of the TP3. I have been impressed with the durability, ability to go where it should when hit correctly and good spin around the greens. I had started the season using TP5, but will go to them maybe when the hot weather kicks in, but for now sticking with the TP3!

I've always been a huge fan of the original Penta. I've gotten the chance to play a few sets of 9 holes with the new TP5. I feel like I'm getting a little bit straighter flight as advertised, but I don't know that I'm getting more spin with short irons and around the greens. The original was the spinniest around the green I have ever played, which I loved because I felt I could play aggressively inside 100 yrds. I don't feel I'm quite getting as much spin as the original, but definitely better than most. But if I can get similiar short game spin and overall little straighter ball flight, I'd choose the new TP5 over the original.

I'm still reserving final decision until the weather gets warmer here in NY. I'll be testing the original Penta, the TP5 and the Nike 20XI-S.

I thought it felt slightly softer than the TP Black with much better durability. I should have mentioned it before but i played 72 holes with 2 balls so they are very durable.

How does spin compare to the TP Black?

I have a friend who just bought a dozen of the TP3 version. Loves them:golf2::thumb:

I have played the TP5 a few times this year and its a great ball IMO, much better than the original Penta. Its more durable, straighter off the tee and irons, I could easily play this ball if I was out of my normal HEX Blacks. Im not even gonna try the TP3 as I know it will spin to much for me but glad people are liking it.

How does spin compare to the TP Black?

I think it spins slightly more than the black with a softer feel. Played last three days with it again and like it more and more.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Well I've now played 3 rounds with the TP3 and must say I'm impressed. It is a fabulous ball and does everything pretty darn well. I didn't get to hit both the TP3 and TP5 off the driver on the same hole to compare, but I think the TP3 may be slightly longer for me of the two. No proof other than the GPS and being in parts of the fairway usually reserved for my best drives.

I'm probably switching back to the TP5 only because I prefer the slightly softer impact sensation. I almost can't tell them apart until I get to my wedges, but once I get to those I can. Since I plan to put the Pro Combos back in play starting tomorrow that will only become more noticeable through the set compared to my VR Full Cavitys.

Great radio show/interview. There's an article at MyGolfSpy (sorry, I am not allowed to post links yet) that compared spin rates for the TP5, TP3 and RBZ (Driver, 4i, 7i PW, Half shot) that confirms the interview.

RBZ spun a little less than the others on the driver. Same is true on the 4i, but the difference is less. On the 7i, they all spin about the same. On the PW, the RBZ spun MUCH less than the others (1500 RPM less), and that difference was magnified further on the half shot (3000 RPM less).

Between the TP3 and TP5, the TP3 spun slightly more on the Driver and 4i. Same spin on the 7i. TP3 spun slightly more on the PW. But the TP5 spun considerably higher than the TP3 on the half shot (650 RPM difference). I assume the 28% decrease in compression on the TP5 really shows up the most in the half shot situation.

Great radio show/interview. There's an article at MyGolfSpy (sorry, I am not allowed to post links yet) that compared spin rates for the TP5, TP3 and RBZ (Driver, 4i, 7i PW, Half shot) that confirms the interview.
Between the TP3 and TP5, the TP3 spun slightly more on the Driver and 4i. Same spin on the 7i. TP3 spun slightly more on the PW. But the TP5 spun considerably higher than the TP3 on the half shot (650 RPM difference). I assume the 28% decrease in compression on the TP5 really shows up the most in the half shot situation.

Welcome CougarRed!

Thanks for posting those test results. It does say the two balls have changed though. On half wedge shots the Black used to out spin the Penta. I would have to say both are significantly different from their predecessors when hit with different clubs.
For me that means I am really going to want to try both of the Penta balls.

Just thought I'd bump this up. Still liking the Penta TP3, it continues to impress all round for my game. The only slight issue I have is durability. It seems to scuff up pretty easily off the first couple of wedge shots. It's still playable and it's only surface scuffing, but it messes with me a little. Easy to get a full round out of a ball though, and at the slightly cheaper price, I'm good with that.

Hate the old Pentas. I will have to try this sometime soon

Hate the old Pentas. I will have to try this sometime soon

Then you're not going to like these. More of the same and not different enough to get anyone to go from hating the last version to loving this one.

Out of curiosity what did you hate about the Pentas? What ball do you play?

I feel like I spin it wayy to much off the tee and don't hit it as far as I hit my ProV's or B330Rx's

I had not played either of these balls unitl today. My man war eagle tossed me a sleeve and i played the Penta 3 for about 9 holes. Mind you it was at the end of my round and I was a bit tired but I still liked what I was seeing. Nice spin into the greens and good distance off the woods. I'll have to get a sleeve of the Penta5 next.

Do these feel the same off the putter/irons as the old penta TP? How is the distance off the tee compared to the old one as well?

Do these feel the same off the putter/irons as the old penta TP? How is the distance off the tee compared to the old one as well?

If you like the way the original Penta feels off the putter, than you will like these. They are also longer than the original as well.

I've now played about 8 rounds with the TP3 and the TP5. I've opted to go back to the TP5.

The TP5 goes farther for me off the driver (I suspect due to the lower spin) and I prefer the feel of the TP5 on full wedge shots. The rest is a draw, except of price.

I still think the TP3 is the best for the money, but that the TP5 is the best ball for me without considering prices.

My annual ball evaluation is over I guess.

Back