Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Nice, what made you go with the blue versus the white or black? I really want the white but would like just a tad more spin and I do not think that the white will give me more spin.

Well I wanted to lower my ball flight from the C Kua just a touch, so the White (high launch shaft) was out of the question. It was between the Black and the Blue for me, and I was leaning towards the Blue because it's supposed to be mid to mid-high launch shaft vs. the Black (mid launch) and the White. And I happened to get a great deal from h0ss on a driver that had the Blue installed. Had the shaft pulled and installed in my Classic, and cut it down to 44.75". I'm loving it.

Well I wanted to lower my ball flight from the C Kua just a touch, so the White (high launch shaft) was out of the question. It was between the Black and the Blue for me, and I was leaning towards the Blue because it's supposed to be mid to mid-high launch shaft vs. the Black (mid launch) and the White. And I happened to get a great deal from h0ss on a driver that had the Blue installed. Had the shaft pulled and installed in my Classic, and cut it down to 44.75". I'm loving it.

Sweet, I will wait for an update tomorrow to see how it is.

looking forward to trying this out next week, seems to have become a favorite on the site and looking forwrd to seeing how i hit it

I just made my order! YEAH!!! I went with the 290 10.5* head with the Kusala Black 72S. I am stoked!!!

I just made my order! YEAH!!! I went with the 290 10.5* head with the Kusala Black 72S. I am stoked!!!

There we go!!!! Nice, Dr!

Nice, congrats! I really want to try the 290 10.5* and 12* with the stock shaft to see how it compares to the SL290 that I have and love.

Jeebus, I had a shocking day with the Classic today. Played a scramble and hit more bubba cuts than I can remember. Ugh!! I hit a couple of good ones, but just couldn't get comfortable over the ball. Good thing everything else was clicking or I would have broke stuff.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase Doc!

Jeebus, I had a shocking day with the Classic today. Played a scramble and hit more bubba cuts than I can remember. Ugh!! I hit a couple of good ones, but just couldn't get comfortable over the ball. Good thing everything else was clicking or I would have broke stuff.

We all have those days man...It'll come around.

Thats awesome dude!! I am getting fit for mine on Saturday morning and will be placing a call to Blind9 that same day.

Patience brother you know these days happen.

At least your iron play made up for your off day with the Classic.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

LOL @ broke stuff. I hate when that happens.

Seems like I get a couple of those per round with the Classic, which is why I'm experimenting with a RAZR Fit. I think my problem is the lightweight (I have the stock stiff shaft). When I really go after the ball, the possibility of a big slice comes into play. As long as I torque it down a bit I seem to be allright. With the Fit, OTOH, while I cannot hit it quite as long as the Classic, I can go after it full speed and not worry about it leaking right. I"ve still got a couple weeks before I have to decide whether to return the Fit.

Thanks gents. They weren't all bad but there were enough to concern me. I have got to stay connected. It's not the Classic's fault. What annoys me the most is that I have been absolutely striping it prior to this. I wonder how much of it had to do with the format? Scrambles can be bad on a driver swing.

Thanks gents. They weren't all bad but there were enough to concern me. I have got to stay connected. It's not the Classic's fault. What annoys me the most is that I have been absolutely striping it prior to this. I wonder how much of it had to do with the format? Scrambles can be bad on a driver swing.

What driver did you play previously and what was the face angle? Does this have considerably less offset or heel weighting?
I agree about the Scramble thing, if I see someone in the fairway, I try to murder that ball like Cookie looking at a piece of Tofu. If I see someone miss the fairway, I try to arm swing it and place the ball out there.

What driver did you play previously and what was the face angle? Does this have considerably less offset or heel weighting?
I agree about the Scramble thing, if I see someone in the fairway, I try to murder that ball like Cookie looking at a piece of Tofu. If I see someone miss the fairway, I try to arm swing it and place the ball out there.

Prior to this I rotated between the G20 and the R9. I love the way the Classic sets up to the ball, but I have to admit, little One-T was striping it yesterday so all I was trying to do was murder the ball, which just isn't my game. It's funny that when I needed to hit a good one, I did. Stupid scramble.

Prior to this I rotated between the G20 and the R9. I love the way the Classic sets up to the ball, but I have to admit, little One-T was striping it yesterday so all I was trying to do was murder the ball, which just isn't my game. It's funny that when I needed to hit a good one, I did. Stupid scramble.

Yeah, I sure was. murder

Took my Classic out today during my round, but was struggling with some back pain the entire round due to sciatica...so I really couldn't get my hips through the ball and that resulted in a lot of push slices today. I did bomb a couple drives, mid-high flight with a fade, and the Blue shaft just feels so smooth during the entire swing. I hopefully can get this back thing straightened out for my 2nd match of my match play league this Thursday.

Glad the blue felt good and had the flight you needed. Hope the back gets straitened out for you Nate.

Happy for you Teeth. We will take good care of you. You are going to be a force on the links with your new Classic.

Glad the blue felt good and had the flight you needed. Hope the back gets straitened out for you Nate.

Thanks, man. It was so depressing that I couldn't put a good swing on this baby. Hopefully by Thursday.

Thanks, man. It was so depressing that I couldn't put a good swing on this baby. Hopefully by Thursday.

Sucks that you're having back issues dude. That can't be conducive to a comfortable golf swing. I think you should get healthy before you get into full on shaft testing mode.

Due to various reasons, I had not had a chance to hit this driver again since my initial range session until I was able to get back to the range today. Going with a slightly higher tee and moving the ball a little further forward in my stance allowed me to catch the ball more on an ascending blow, and I had my good drives in the "trajectory window" that I'm used to, which was really nice. Also, the wind was straight back into us on the range, and the ball was penetrating that wind pretty well, which made me think that this will be low spin when it hits the ground, so I'll get some rollout. I did struggle with some high right shots when my tempo was bad and when I get sloppy with my lower body towards the end of the range session. I just have to remember to take controlled swings with this club, and the results will be there. I'm looking forward to getting some launch monitor data with this club soon.

Due to various reasons, I had not had a chance to hit this driver again since my initial range session until I was able to get back to the range today. Going with a slightly higher tee and moving the ball a little further forward in my stance allowed me to catch the ball more on an ascending blow, and I had my good drives in the "trajectory window" that I'm used to, which was really nice. Also, the wind was straight back into us on the range, and the ball was penetrating that wind pretty well, which made me think that this will be low spin when it hits the ground, so I'll get some rollout. I did struggle with some high right shots when my tempo was bad and when I get sloppy with my lower body towards the end of the range session. I just have to remember to take controlled swings with this club, and the results will be there. I'm looking forward to getting some launch monitor data with this club soon.

Dude, I like it. I have to remember to stay controlled and connected. Hopefully I can get this out today if the weather lets me.

Back