Controlling emotions on the golf course

bhilton

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else besides me have an issue with this (especially in tournament play). I'm extremely competitive and tournaments can be emotional roller coasters for me which ends up being very exhausting. It's not only when I play bad that I get emotional but also when I'm playing well. This past weekend I was playing in a two day tournament and was playing fairly well. I shot a 79 on day one, which left me two shots back of the lead in my flight. On day 2, I started with a birdie on one, missed a short birdie putt on 2, missed another short birdie putt on 3, par of 4, and another birdie on 5. That's probably the best start to any tournament I've had. I got extremely pumped up after the birdie on 5. I guess a little too much so because by the time I got to hole 10 or 11 I was completely out of energy. I had nothing left to give and ended up shooting a 77 and not placing in the tournament. It just sucks that I was playing so well, but didn't have the energy to finish the round.

I cry a lot, lol. J/K

I'm pretty in control most of the time, it's the roller coaster days that get me. Those birdie, bogey, birdie, double kind of day's where I know I'm so close to having it go either direction. Then I can get down on myself a bit, but seldom out of juice from excitement.

I've been known to have major meltdowns in tournaments. Once I started a tournament with 5 pars in a row until a lady questioned my handicap. A few blow up holes later, she told me I was off the hook. I recommend "Your 15th Club" by Bob Rotella or "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. Also make sure you are snacking on something throughout your round to help keep your energy and focus up.

I don't act much different, but I have been having massive blow up holes lately- nevermind doubles - triples and quads. Didn't have this at all last year so It has been odd. Thus, it has been emotional.

For me I haven't played in to many big tournaments but this years Morgan Cup is gonna be a huge challenge but I have taken a few things on board from listening to other people's opinions. 1 Yes everyone wants to win but at the end of it all golf is about having fun. 2 If my last was good bad or indifferent there is nothing I can do about so just smile and move on to the next shot. And 3 remember to keep eating and drinking fluids.

Certainly a common problem of "looking ahead" Thinking great if I start this way, I can... (you fill in the blanks).
It just takes training and experience. I have been here myself too many times to count. I have recently started having an inner match. I will break the course down into six 3 round matches. I set a goal for each set of 3 holes and beat, make, or miss the goal, I try (and this is the trick) to forget it and focus on the next 3 hole match.

Good Luck

I just remember it's still only golf, and not much is gonna change no matter the outcome. I just stay focused on the task at hand, same as I do any other round.

I get all Happy Gilmore on the inside during a blow up hole. If only Bob Barker were around to deck.

Just yesterday I was reading part of the Zen Golf book that Kelly mentions .I've pondered buying it on the iPad.

im pretty even keel across the board, cant get too mad, its just a game and im not on tour, but I want to do well as much as the next guy

i havnt played in a tourney in quite a while but when i was younger i never got exhuasted unless i was playing bad i really fed off of good shots and making birdies and saving pars.

Just yesterday I was reading part of the Zen Golf book that Kelly mentions .I've pondered buying it on the iPad.

Marc got that book last month and says it really helped him in tournament play. He shot his best score of the year right after reading it.

I've been known to have major meltdowns in tournaments. Once I started a tournament with 5 pars in a row until a lady questioned my handicap. A few blow up holes later, she told me I was off the hook. I recommend "Your 15th Club" by Bob Rotella or "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent. Also make sure you are snacking on something throughout your round to help keep your energy and focus up.

Thanks for the book recommendations Kelly!!! I do struggle with my emotions (on and off the course!!!), so I will be looking into these for sure!

I do try to remember to take deep breaths when I feel the emotion surging! I also try to really look around and take a moment to appreciate my surroundings and company. Its a lot of talking to myself!!! This helps to get me out of my own head and to remember that I am having fun! It also helps me to focus on other peoples games, so that I can learn from them and/or encourage them instead of focusing on me (and my crappy shots). :)

Thanks for the book recommendations Kelly!!! I do struggle with my emotions (on and off the course!!!), so I will be looking into these for sure!

Of course you do, you are a woman! *ducks my head while looking over my shoulder* :angel: :bomb:

I agree on the 15th club, i have the audio book and its great to listen to while warming up, practicing putting, etc.

I have been asked how I don't get upset during a bad stretch. I actually do, but it's only in the few seconds after the bad shot, then it's over. And even then it's usually just letting out a Charlie Brown "Arrrrgh!". It's golf, it's just a game, and you're out there playing instead of working. What is so bad with that?

You know I'm really mad when I walk to the next shot instead of getting back in the cart. It's not often that I do that two shots in a row, even if the next shot is equally sucky.

I have been asked how I don't get upset during a bad stretch. I actually do, but it's only in the few seconds after the bad shot, then it's over. And even then it's usually just letting out a Charlie Brown "Arrrrgh!". It's golf, it's just a game, and you're out there playing instead of working. What is so bad with that?

You know I'm really mad when I walk to the next shot instead of getting back in the cart. It's not often that I do that two shots in a row, even if the next shot is equally sucky.

This is me to a T Smalls (another reason we need to get together and play soon).

I used to be a huge hothead and thats why I didn't play in HS or seriously at all until I hit about 24/25. Its the realization that going ballistic and getting that angry over a GOLF SHOT does nothing but make you look like an arse. Its a beautiful and wonderfully frustrating game that you should just enjoy whether its the highs or the lows, its all part of it.

Too bad your wife didn't take the KC job! haha

I throw a club once and a while, I kinda hit the ground with my wedge every time I shank a chip shot. I sigh when I slice. That's about it. I never yell or cry or anything.

I use to get pretty upset but I read some books on the mental game and that helped but so far this season I have had a terrible time. What I have found is that the sicker and sicker my dad gets the less patience I have with golf. I have no idea why but it is whats happening. I don't know if there is much of a fix for that, I might reread some of my books again. I really use to not worry about anything and just be happy I was out there but now the littlest thing can ruin my day, frustrating.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll definitely be checking them out.

I used to have a bad temper on the course. All it would take was one bad shot and my entire round was screwed (as well as the round of my playing partners). I've since gotten a whole lot better and will not act like that anymore. If I hit a bad shot now, I may get upset at it, but I'm able to shake it off and move on. This past weekend was the first time where I started a round and hit every shot almost perfectly as was making a big run up the leaderboard. I guess I could only take so much excitement because I couldn't keep that going all round.

I throw a club once and a while, I kinda hit the ground with my wedge every time I shank a chip shot. I sigh when I slice. That's about it. I never yell or cry or anything.

I always remember I've got way too much money in my clubs to throw them even if I did get that mad.

Plus, who wants to look like eldrick?

I always remember I've got way too much money in my clubs to throw them even if I did get that mad.

Plus, who wants to look like eldrick?

I agree 100%. I can't think of a single time I have lost my composure on the course playing alone casually let alone in a tournament setting.

Additionally it absolutely blew my mind when he threw his club at Augusta... I hope he was fined significantly for that.

At that level of play, he should have more composure than that. Essentially the equivalent of a NFL QB throwing an interception, turning around spiking his helmet at the ground, kicking it 10 yards and walking to the sidelines.

My sweet Mom bought me Zen Golf. It really is a game changer.

I play to have fun and getting mad is not fun and it is certainly not fun to be around somebody that blows up on the golf course. I always think when a guy gets mad playing golf that they must either be immature or they think that they are a lot better player than they really are.

I will usually talk to my self a little, and say things like What the Heck was that Anthony, or Focus dumba$$...but other than that I am pretty calm.

Back