Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Mmmmmmm. Can't wait to hit these.

CNGtSl.jpg

I'm jealous Marc! Those are really pretty. I see you moved up in loft from a 50,54,58 to a 52,56,60.

Those are some sharp looking wedges.

Mmmmmmm. Can't wait to hit these.

CNGtSl.jpg

I have the 54 & 58 and I love these puppy dawgs. Beautiful wedges for sure!

I'm jealous Marc! Those are really pretty. I see you moved up in loft from a 50,54,58 to a 52,56,60.

The 588 irons have weaker lofts than my CG16's so figured I'd go back to my old setup. Plus I miss having a 60 degree.

How would one compare these to CG15s? (weight, feel, etc.) Haven't hit these but love my cg15 and it needs replacement bad and idk if I will/can find CG15s. My CG15 has DSG and I really like how it makes the head a little lighter so idk how much playing a 588 or even another CG15 without it...

Do the 588s come with grinds at all? I don't think I have noticed any of these with grinds in store.

Do the 588s come with grinds at all? I don't think I have noticed any of these with grinds in store.

They do but it costs extra. You have to order through mycustomwedge.com I believe.

Really sharp looking MarcH

oooo shiny! great choice MarcH.
after hitting these wedges, you'll wonder why other companies even bother making and selling wedges!

Just went and picked up my 54 degree. Now only one more to go.

Thanks guys. Played one round with em on Saturday. Hit the 56 three times from the fairway. 1st one to 10 feet made bird, 2nd one to 3 feet made bird, 3rd one to 12 feet missed the putt. So far so good!

They really look great in the bag and in your hand and perform so nicely. Love love love em.

Weaker lofts? Couldn't you have gotten them with the same loft as your CG15s?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The 588 irons have weaker lofts than my CG16's so figured I'd go back to my old setup. Plus I miss having a 60 degree.

He's talking about his iron sets. The CG16s are strong lofted with the PW coming in at 44˚.

I think he's talking about the 588 iron set that he ordered at the same time as these wedges.

I played a quick nine on Friday I think it was. I had a few sand shots out there and ended up using the 53° for two of them, which was new to me.

The first one was a greenside bunker that I was pretty far back in. The flag was a good 30-40 feet away from the side of the green I was on, so I wasn't sure the 57° would get me far enough. For some reason I was nervous that the 53° wouldn't be enough loft to clear the lip, but it worked really well and gave me a pretty good shot at saving the hole.

The other one was from around 40 yards, which is just an odd yardage for a bunker shot in my mind. The sand was really firm. I actually hit about 5 balls from it for practice since I've never been sure how to handle it. Turns out that slightly opening the face and swinging hard as hell worked perfect for it. It took me a couple tries to figure it out, but at least I know it's possible now. One thing I noticed from this shot was that ball spinned like crazy.

I played a quick nine on Friday I think it was. I had a few sand shots out there and ended up using the 53° for two of them, which was new to me.

The first one was a greenside bunker that I was pretty far back in. The flag was a good 30-40 feet away from the side of the green I was on, so I wasn't sure the 57° would get me far enough. For some reason I was nervous that the 53° wouldn't be enough loft to clear the lip, but it worked really well and gave me a pretty good shot at saving the hole.

The other one was from around 40 yards, which is just an odd yardage for a bunker shot in my mind. The sand was really firm. I actually hit about 5 balls from it for practice since I've never been sure how to handle it. Turns out that slightly opening the face and swinging hard as hell worked perfect for it. It took me a couple tries to figure it out, but at least I know it's possible now. One thing I noticed from this shot was that ball spinned like crazy.

Shots like that are exactly why I went with the 54/58 combo. I can get the 58* there but it's not a dependable choice, whereas the 54 gives me a little more confidence and I don't have to swing as hard. To me bunkers are all about giving yourself the best chance of getting out in 1, not so much concerned with sticking it close. Swinging hard with a 58 diminishes those chances for me.

Shots like that are exactly why I went with the 54/58 combo. I can get the 58* there but it's not a dependable choice, whereas the 54 gives me a little more confidence and I don't have to swing as hard. To me bunkers are all about giving yourself the best chance of getting out in 1, not so much concerned with sticking it close. Swinging hard with a 58 diminishes those chances for me.

I am the opposite. I love to open up a 56* and just take a nice full swing.

I typically would go with the higher loft as well, but it's nice to know the other one will do the trick if needed.

I typically would go with the higher loft as well, but it's nice to know the other one will do the trick if needed.

I have never tried it, and I guess it would also depend on how deep the bunker is.

Hawk, I use the 56* out of the bunkers when I'm literally greenside and have a small amount of ground to cover. I like to use my 52/50* when I have green to work with. I mostly avoid bunkers at all costs though. I hate how bunkers just chew up the Black Pearl on my wedges. It makes me sad.

If I could make a putt I'd feel pretty good about my sand game right now.

Back