Boccieri Forum Testing Review Thread

Great write up Frank! Glad to hear it is working out for you and looking forward to more.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Nice initial thoughts fella's. As someone who has to use midsize grips, has anybody tried to put extra wraps to build them up as the secret grips don't appear to come in midsized?

Nice initial thoughts fella's. As someone who has to use midsize grips, has anybody tried to put extra wraps to build them up as the secret grips don't appear to come in midsized?

To be fair, I don't need midsized grips, so I will not experiment with it.

The grips does feel a little thicker than usual. It may just be a mind trick though.

To be fair, I don't need midsized grips, so I will not experiment with it.

The grips does feel a little thicker than usual. It may just be a mind trick though.

To add to that, my clubs have stock grips and the stock one on the boccieri feels thicker than it.. Not my much but a little

Very nice reviews from yesterday Blu & Frank!

You guys are seeing what I saw when I first got my hands on these which is consistency. Not the longest club out there, but a very consistent club that seems to be "hard to miss" with. Even the misses I saw on the toe or heel do not hurt you badly.

I don't know enough about feel but like reading about how the club helps you get into the slot. That is not something I could describe but it makes sense when reading it. Mine (3H, 4H, & 5H) have been shelved as I am now gaming the Morgan Cup clubs, but I would be lying if I did not mention that your reviews have me wanting to try out the rest of the Boccieri offerings in a bad way, especially the irons.

I saw Frank posted up in the WTB section about getting some hybrids - if that is not telling, I don't know what is.

I think Thainer had a whole Boccieri bag at one point he was so impressed.

I think Thainer had a whole Boccieri bag at one point he was so impressed.

I believe you are correct.

It's funny, the hybrids are so easy for me to hit but I think I attributed it to them just being hybrids but I failed to previously give credit where it's due. If I could have the success getting all the clubs in my bag "into the slot" like I did with the hybrids I would be a much better golfer - no doubt about it.

Frank did you see consistent ball flight and trajectory no matter what lie you had? Meaning, was it always high or did you see any low bullets or mid trajectory flights. What was the predominant shot shape you saw, draw,fade or straight.
In a typical round how many times do you think you'd use this 5W?

Frank did you see consistent ball flight and trajectory no matter what lie you had? Meaning, was it always high or did you see any low bullets or mid trajectory flights. What was the predominant shot shape you saw, draw,fade or straight.
In a typical round how many times do you think you'd use this 5W?

If we ignore my topper that I had then all but one shot had a nice high trajectory with a very straight ball flight. I came across one and this resulted in a lower semi slice that still traveled about 170 yards and was in the dead center of the fairway. I played this off some sloped lies and it really performed well. On one of the last holes I lost my drive right. I was behind some trees on a wonky lie. I got set up to the ball, picked a nice path through the trees, took a nice measured swing and the ball just went screaming through, landed about 20 yards short of the green but I couldn't have done much better with any other club in my bag.

In summary this is just a high launching club that is performing well for me.

Boccieri Heavy Hybrid Range Session

Boccieri Heavy Hybrid Range Session

Test Date: June 7[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012
Testing Club: Boccieri Heavy Hybrid 20* Stiff Flex
My Club: Nike SQ Machspeed 3h, & 4h
Ball Used: Average Condition Range Balls
Environment: Local Driving Range – Mid 80’s – Wind 10-15 mph

Here is the first hit!

Photo of first 5 hits:
FirstHits.jpg

Video of sound:

Let me just start by saying I finally got the chance to hit the Boccieri 20* Heavy Hybrid!! (Yes, I have a sore knee from running, and went straight to the range from getting blood drawn on my right arm today). I warmed up with my wedges and irons first, and then hit a decent amount with my current hybrid (SQ Machspeed) to get a better idea of what I am doing in general. My hybrids are probably my most consistent club.
Sorry in advance I may do some comparing, I will try to keep it to a minimum.

Address: First impression is that the club appears a tiny bit closed to me. Not a bad thing but just trying to be thorough. The head shape seems pretty standard for a hybrid and the little green triangle is helpful in lining up the club.

Feel: It feels heavier than what I am used to. This is nothing but good for me, as it feels like it wants to help you guide the club. Let me put it this way, I have no problem getting used to this feel.

Ball Flight: My typical shot when I was warming up with my Nike hybrid is a mid-high straight flight, sometimes pushed to the right. It is not a slice, just a push. Ball flight was similar with the Boccieri; only real thing I noticed was it might have been a little bit lower. (The Boccieri is 20* and the Nike is 21*.) I was noticing the ball being pushed to the right still, but not as bad. Must be swing mechanics..

Forgiveness: I did hit one off the heel pretty good when I was really trying to get after it. It was actually not bad at all; I think it still would have been in the far side of the fairway. One other mishit was a fat hit, and it was typical for that mishit, loss of distance. The club seems to want you to hit it straight, I would say it was very forgiving for me.

Distance: I think I mentioned in the video, but I was hitting it 215-230. I didn’t have a range finder with me. I was hitting right at the 250 marker but the range slots were set up at the front of the “range tee area”, not the back. This distance seems pretty consistent with my Nike 3h.

Overall: I was really impressed considering my current hybrids seem to be my go to club. With limited time hitting it, I have already made the conclusion this club is straighter and more consistent for me. I can’t wait to use it on the course and really start to get a better feel for it. One last thing, I did not hit this off a tee but will definitely next time!

I will next time and have feedback for that. Thank you again for THP and Boccieri

I'm sure it has been said multiple times, but those clubs are beautiful!

Glad you were able to get out JJ, sounds like you found some early success.

Great first shot jj! Finding the center seems to be a constant with the Boccieri line.

I'm sure it has been said multiple times, but those clubs are beautiful!

It was definitely easy on the eyes!

Glad you were able to get out JJ, sounds like you found some early success.

Yes I am looking forward to getting more chances with it and taking it out. I think it will bring extra confidence!

Great first shot jj! Finding the center seems to be a constant with the Boccieri line.

Yeah like I said, I did have a few mis-hits, but they were human error :) and the club still kept them from being way out of line!

Very nice initial review Jjmorris9! I definitely echo many of the same thoughts as you on this club especially the forgiveness aspect and how this club just wants to go straight. I am consistently surprised even how well the mishits turn out.

Keep up the great work testers!

Very nice initial review Jjmorris9! I definitely echo many of the same thoughts as you on this club especially the forgiveness aspect and how this club just wants to go straight. I am consistently surprised even how well the mishits turn out.

Keep up the great work testers!

Exactly. I will be using this on the course this weekend and really could see it coming in handy on tighter fairways. Point and shoot!

Boccieri Golf Heavy Hybrid 23*

Boccieri Golf Heavy Hybrid 23*

Date: 6/7/2012
Club Tested: Boccieri Heavy Hybrid 23*
Previous Club: TM RBZ 4H
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330 RX
Conditions: Perfect

Finally I was able to get out with the Heavy hybrid yesterday after strange weather or just plain craziness around the casa de Kmac this week. Took the a couple of the in laws to the local course so that meant no warm up because it doesnt have a range. Boccieri testing would start on the course and with my tee struggles it would get quite a work out.

I mentioned in another thread that it did take me a few things to get used to the weight but it didnt take long. First hole I was in the right rough, which was a common theme during the day, and this brought my first try with the Heavy. Slid under the ball a bit and popped it up over to the right. This one the weight threw me off a bit. So what I found during the day as I hit it was like others have said the club seems to drop into the slot with ease. You just cant fight it though. Let it do its thing and you are rewarded with a high, straight shot. And it works fairly easily.

At address the club sets up perfect to my eye. Nice black color with the simple alignment aid. Like most hybrids that I hit from the rough the top got all gunked up a few shots. Pretty normal if you ask me.

Sound was a little higher pitched maybe. Again nothing that stood out to me or bothered me. I could tell when I caught one good though for sure.

Swinging the club seemed effortless and it really cut through rough well. This course was in such bad shape that for one I'll never play it again and two it was like practicing from the rough all day no matter where you hit your ball. The Heavy cuts through the rough easily. I was impressed.

Shot results were surprising. Why? I would hit a shot that looked to be going too high but would go and go and go. Since I struggled off the tee I found myself with a lot of very long second shots that were too long for the hybrid but I hit it anyway. Each time Id think its going to be way way short but would be surprised to find the ball much further then I thought. I kept thinking "imagine how good these shots would be from the fairway" haha. I think I was coming in pretty steep at the ball too and that seemed to give a real high ball flight.

Overall I cant complain after my first round. The Heavy was easy to hit and while I dont think I had a very good swing on the say I still saw very good results. I think more then any other club in my bag the results after hitting the Heavy got more "Nice shot" comments.

Shot results were surprising.

That was the whole theme of my review, dude. It just surprised the hell out of me from the start. I didn't actually hit it at demo day that year, so it was a brand new experience. I also know what you are saying about the nice shot comment. That's one thing I don't hear alot, but I do quite a bit with this club.

Do you hit a lot of punch shots? I know it sounds dumb to ask that, but give it a try the next time you need to. Or try it out on the range. I've hit GIR's with a Heavy punch shot lol.

Nice write up!

Good stuff Kmac! I know I definitely found that "smoother is better" with these clubs. They truly are workhorses that just get the job done. I can't recall anything good coming out of trying to kill these. Nice smooth swing, club gets into the slot, and great results the majority of the time.

I gotta try one of the FW woods. Just packed all 3 hybrids into the bag to give the folks in Austin a chance to try them out.

Great write up kmac! I think your comment on not 'fighting the natural swing' of the Heavy Hybrid is key for the Heavy Clubs. It is designed to flow along a natural swing plane, and when you fight it, it fights back.

~Rock

Great write up kmac! I think your comment on not 'fighting the natural swing' of the Heavy Hybrid is key for the Heavy Clubs. It is designed to flow along a natural swing plane, and when you fight it, it fights back.

~Rock

This is so true. My only mis hits were me trying to "smack" it

That was the whole theme of my review, dude. It just surprised the hell out of me from the start. I didn't actually hit it at demo day that year, so it was a brand new experience. I also know what you are saying about the nice shot comment. That's one thing I don't hear alot, but I do quite a bit with this club.

Do you hit a lot of punch shots? I know it sounds dumb to ask that, but give it a try the next time you need to. Or try it out on the range. I've hit GIR's with a Heavy punch shot lol.

Nice write up!

Geez I completely forgot all my punch shots dude. The Heavy is awesome for punch shots and I got my fair share of them yesterday from under trees. I hit the second hole par 3 from under the trees on the right side with a punch out, haha.

Thanks guys for the nice comments too.

Last edited:
It is a punch shot machine!

Nice write ups Kmac and JJ, sounds like a sweet club. Can't wait to hit one sometime just see how the weight difference feels between it and my current clubs.

Back