Requesting a Scor versus Bridgestone J40 Wedge Comparison

Jjjj

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been reading the website reviews about wedges for the past 2 weeks. I have read over 100 pages of wedge reviews. What I would really like is a comparison of the Scor vs the J40 wedges form those lucky enough to have played both. I would welcome any other comparisons as well.

Thanks
John

John,

You're going to be in luck b/c my brother, One-T, just received his J40 wedge(s) for the Morgan Cup and put the 54* in his bag for the first time today. I actually spoke with him on the phone after his round and I specifically asked if he was worried about taking the SCORs out. He had some interesting thoughts on the matter and I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this thread.

I will be able to get this to you not next week but the next. I have the SCORs and the Bridgy wedges should be here shortly, I am lucky enough to be a Bridgestone staffer in The Morgan Cup 2.0.

I was able to play a 54* J40 against a 53* SCOR. They are very similar. I have 2 different shafts in them though. The SCORs have the KBS shaft and the J40 has the DG spinner.

right now, I would give the gold to the j40, I am seeing just a little more distance and a higher ball flight. Both of those are very important for a wedge. Also, around the greens I seem to have a little more control. with the 40. The head on the 40 seems to be a little larger....This is only with one round under my belt. Sorry I dont have more info for now but I promise I will get back to you.

John,

You're going to be in luck b/c my brother, One-T, just received his J40 wedge(s) for the Morgan Cup and put the 54* in his bag for the first time today. I actually spoke with him on the phone after his round and I specifically asked if he was worried about taking the SCORs out. He had some interesting thoughts on the matter and I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this thread.
Im interested in the feedback as well, I know Freddie has played them both extensively as well. My wedge choices are narrowed to the J40 and the Scors and I am looking forward to hearing what One-T has to say.

I will be able to get this to you not next week but the next. I have the SCORs and the Bridgy wedges should be here shortly, I am lucky enough to be a Bridgestone staffer in The Morgan Cup 2.0.

I was able to play a 54* J40 against a 53* SCOR. They are very similar. I have 2 different shafts in them though. The SCORs have the KBS shaft and the J40 has the DG spinner.

right now, I would give the gold to the j40, I am seeing just a little more distance and a higher ball flight. Both of those are very important for a wedge. Also, around the greens I seem to have a little more control. with the 40. The head on the 40 seems to be a little larger....This is only with one round under my belt. Sorry I dont have more info for now but I promise I will get back to you.
That some good initial feedback, thanks. I think that is what I keep coming back to with these two wedges...I really, really like the stock DG Spinner of the J40 wedges.

There's always the Taylormade ATV. . .

I think One-T and Tadashi are two guys who have played both. I have the SCORs and they are great. I have hit the J40s and also liked them, but not as much as the SCORs. Main differences.

Grind- SCORs dual grind is done a bit better and ultimately makes the club more versatile.
Shaft- I prefer the KBS Genius shafts that are in the SCORs over the Spinners.
Head Design- SCOR head designs are different through the set and the design is different to achieve different goals. Bridgestone head is the same design for each wedge.
Customization- You can get the exact loft you need for the SCORs and they will make it specifically to your specifications.

IMO SCOR comes out ahead in each category, but I am admittedly biased.

That some good initial feedback, thanks. I think that is what I keep coming back to with these two wedges...I really, really like the stock DG Spinner of the J40 wedges.
dude, just going by the 54* 40 and the 53 SCOR, I am leaning towards the 40. WHich says A TON!!! I have and am a big SCOR fan, I think its a great wedge. But, for some reason the 40 performed well for me today. I probably hit it from 95-105 yards about 6 times and was on the green 5 of them. the one I missed was on the first hole, 99 yards out and I took a full swing and was 6 inches off the back of the green. pin seeking

dude, just going by the 54* 40 and the 53 SCOR, I am leaning towards the 40. WHich says A TON!!! I have and am a big SCOR fan, I think its a great wedge. But, for some reason the 40 performed well for me today. I probably hit it from 95-105 yards about 6 times and was on the green 5 of them. the one I missed was on the first hole, 99 yards out and I took a full swing and was 6 inches off the back of the green. pin seeking
I know how much you are a fan of the Scor wedges, so to see that you are that impressed with the first outing with the 40s is awesome.

Makes me wonder if the Spinner shaft is just a better fit for you. Seems like it may have helped tighten up some dispersion.

Wow thanks for the fast replies. I look forward to reading more. I am going to have buy new wedges soon, so more information is better. Scor's lead the pack, but J40 also in the running. Unfortunately, I really do not have a good place to demo these clubs. I have tried the Wilson staff wedges, the Ping Tour S, and Cleveland 588, Nothing thrilled me yet. My current wedges are Reed Lockharts which is a predessor to the v-sole that is is the Scors. Not really many other opportunities to test wedges, so I probably will be trunsting your input heavily. Not my usual selection method, but it worked great for the Seemore putter.

This will pretty much complete by bag Update. I do not purchase new clubs often, but all of my clubs were 10 years old. So far I have purchased:

Ping K-15 driver
Wilson DXI 3 wood (free with my irons)
Mashie Hybrid 18
Wilson Ci11's 4 thru gap
Putter Seemore FGP-2
Wedges???

I know how much you are a fan of the Scor wedges, so to see that you are that impressed with the first outing with the 40s is awesome.

yeah, I wa svery excited about the first round with them

Makes me wonder if the Spinner shaft is just a better fit for you. Seems like it may have helped tighten up some dispersion.
That might be the case bro. Cause the SCORs are an awesome wedge.

I think the real answer might be....they both are awesome. Just get the correct shaft.

I have had the opportunity to play both over the last 6 months and I have gone back and forth on my preferences.

Looks: I love the way the SCOR's are more "ironish" and blend in really well with irons like the J40's & VR Pro Combo. With that said, I am leaning towards the looks at address of the J40's. The heads are slightly bigger and give me a little more confidence at address. If you prefer the look/feel of an iron throughout the set then the SCOR's are the way to go with their smaller profile.

Spin: I am not a big spin player (max I usually see is 3 feet, but very often I see a one hop & stop) but I see very similar results with the ability to check up although coming from different trajectories. J40's with DG Spinners launch just a bit higher for me than the SCOR's but that is all by design of each respective club.

Versatility: I am split here. By looks and confidence, I am more comfortable opening up the J40 due to the classic head shape. It feels a bit funny to me opening up the SCOR since it looks more like an iron BUT the club still works great in that aspect. Just a preference by confidence for me and I go with the J40's. I play a bunch of hard pan lies here in TX and it is hard to beat the SCOR's - they can pick a ball clean just like an iron can whereas with the J40 I *feel* like it will dig like a typical wedge but the dual/variable sole really helps prevent that from happening.

Doc Teeth mentioned the availability above. Can you beat the option of ordering SCOR's in any loft from 41-61, nope! I ordered 50, 54, & 58 in the J40's for the Morgan Cup and the 50 is being bent from 52.

Price wise the J40 is likely the best option on the market. You can get them for $80 each with the DG Spinner already installed. Set of 3 J40's = $240, set of 3 SCOR's = $390.

I will have my J40's in soon and can provide some better info in the J40 wedge thread. Honestly, they are both great options and I will be playing one or the other for a long time to come!

John I have the J40s in the bag and spent 3months with the SCOR wedges as well. Each has it own signature and are my two favorite wedges on the market.
The J40s spin like its nobodies business. Pitches and chips can be thrown closer to the hole then any other wedge I had ever played. Good weight through our the entire swing. Not overly long but that is not what I look for in a wedge. Definitely a wedge that can lower your score. My only complaint would be the launch of the DG spinner shafts. I always felt like I was getting a top spin when I hit a full shot. (swapped out for KBS custom tours)

The SCOR wedges also possess that ball stopping spin and can be thrown at the hole as well. The KBS shaft makes this a slight leader over the two wedges in question. It gives you a bit more weight and really launches the ball on high trajectory, there by giving you more distance.
Both wedges perform great out of the sand, tight lies, fluffy lies, hard pan...you name it they can handle it.

I like everyones thoughts on both wedges. Sounds like either way you go you can't go wrong.

Some great info in here fellas. I still have not had the pleasure of using a J40 on the course so I can not compare my SCOR to it but it sounds like you cant go wrong with either one.

I have a question regarding the j40s. Where can you get them with the option of having them bent. I am leaning toward having a 53 degree and a 57 degree wedge. This would leave my gaps at 48 - 53 - 57. I would even consider going with a 53 - 58 combo. I also have to figure out which wedges to bend from 52/54 &. 56/58. Of course Scor wedges would solve all the selection issues.

Can I bump this thread? I'm pondering these. Exactly how big is the J40 head? It's not like ATV freakishly large is it? More like a traditional size (588 ish?)

It's the same size as the 588 and the ATV. I have both and have played the SCOR extensively. I absolutely love my J40s. The spin with the stock spinners is second to non that I have gamed.

I always thought the ATVs were much larger than the 588s.

Forgiveness differences?

Back