Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

On a side note, as some of you know, I custom ordered a set recently...I read on another thread that the flighted PX shaft are not the same as non-flighted stiffness wise...I am coming from non-flighted 5.0's and really like them...the flighted appear to be the standard from Bridgestone factory...I have heard the flighted equivalent to non-flighted 5.0 would be 5.5...but I have also read that flighted 5.5 appear stiffer than non-flighted 5.0's...given this uncertainty, I just special ordered the non-flighted 5.0's but had to pay a 15.00 per club up charge...oh well, since I plan on keeping these for awhile.

Cant wait to get them.

I hope you love them as much as I enjoy mine. I went with the Dynamic Gold's... so I cannot give any advice on the difference with the flighted.

I got out today for an "irons only" 9 holes of golf. I will admit, from holes 2-7 I actually felt like a damn good ball striker and that is something that I have never called myself. I was putting nice smooth swings on the ball and being rewarded with towering iron shots that all literally stopped within 2 feet after landing. I was playing in the rain so that probably helped several of them stop so darn quickly - even a few 5 irons.

Well, I have talked a bit about how much forgiveness these offer and the turf interaction which I put at second to none from my personal experience. I decided to film hole number 9 today as my video hole of the day, it is a par 5 playing at 502 yards. Few details:

- 5 iron off the tee carried 178 yards and semi-plugged. Considering the rain coming down, I was pleased with that distance.
- 190 to the creek and I am laying up with a 6 iron trying to get about 170 out of it. Put probably my worst swing of the day on this shot and make a nice chunker of a divot. But...guess what? Shot still travels 148 yards and is in the fairway. That is what I call a very playable miss from a piss poor swing
- 176 to the middle of the green over the bunker. Another poor swing and I tug it left. Thought I may have put it into the creek but yet I am 20 yards left of the back pin location flag high. Again - terrible swing, but a very playable miss.

I would love to say that I took these swings for the sake of a video review showing a playable miss but that is not the case. I tend to swing poorly sometimes and capture it on video........let's watch the film and you will see why I am so enamored with these irons.

Cookie, love the irons only round. I have done that multiple times and always really enjoy doing it. I think I started an "irons only round" thread a while back?

Anyway, did you play from the regular tees that you do with a full bag?

Cookie, love the irons only round. I have done that multiple times and always really enjoy doing it. I think I started an "irons only round" thread a while back?

Anyway, did you play from the regular tees that you do with a full bag?

Thanks man. We usually play whites for MGA events and with the family, etc but I played blues today. They were up and only played 3100 (normally 3290 I believe) but it was a longer than normal 3100 due to the rain. I played the blues with hopes of hitting the 5 & 6 irons more and it did not disappoint as 2 of the par 3's left me with 5 iron in hand.

Took these to the range tonight to work on some things and I feel it was a productive session. I hit 4 buckets of balls, approx 160 balls. I used the first bucket to hit the 8-9-PW, the 2nd bucket for the tour striker, 3rd bucket for 5-6-7, and the 4th for a mix including the hybrids. I was more working on my alignment and stuff like that as I prep for my lesson tomorrow but these things just impressed be with how I was hitting them. I was really impressed with the 5-6-7. At times I develop a fear of the 5 iron, but man tonight I was hitting it real well. I was actually hitting it better than the 6 iron, which is the opposite of every other set I've owned in the last 18 months. Just real impressed with the ballflight I'm seeing right now. Should get a chance to play a few rounds over the next stretch of days so I'm hoping it carries over to the course.

Nice video Cookie, so close to saving par, that would have been a nice save!

Here is a quick photo. I will be posting my thoughts here soon. Tapatalk is pretty easy to upload pics. Here is a 9i in fwy. Looks amazing with graphite shafts!
aefcd061-4e3e-2cc6.jpg

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Okay I got these on Friday. And didn't get a chance to hit them before playing in Indy Saturday. Heck, I hadn't even taken the plastic off. Hit my tee shot on hole 1. Drove to the ball and opened the iron I was going to use. Proceeded to do this thru the whole round. Man, it was rough. I shot 93. I was having a hard time adjusting to the lighter weight of the graphite shafts. My hands kept getting too fast. After 36 holes , Little by little swing by swing they started to come around. On nice shots the ball just flys. Gets nice height with them plus I was getting the ball to stop more. Looking down on the top line they still have a sleek look for a cavity back. They are just gorgeous with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts.
So, I don't suggest switching from iron to graphite out on the course like I did. I was sort of frustrated and doubting myself. Not good! On Sunday I decided its range time. I went and got a med bucket. And only hit irons and wedges. Once I got my tempo down I saw some really nice shots! Couldn't tell distance really. But I really liked what I saw. I was actually seeing straight shots with less effort. Swinging hard just kills my shots. I worked my way thru the set. When I blade one I no longer get all the shock that shoots up my wrist and elbows. I kept seeing shot after shot going in the same general area. A lot more than I use to see with the TM MBs. I'm liking the bigger faces too. Don't get me wrong I like my MBs.

After going to the range I decided to go play 18. I had the course to myself. I proceeded to shoot an 84. I was actually hitting some really nice shots with the j40s. Out on the course I could tell my distances better. It seems as if I can hit an 8i about 150. That use to be a 7i for me. Plus more control. I mean the ball seemed to be going where I wanted instead of just off line. Tonight I dragged my daughter out to drive me around while I played 9. Had the best 9 holes of my life. Hit 5 of 7 fwys plus 7 of 9 GIR's! Shot an even par 36. I par'd every hole and had 15 putts. So, you figure it out. Lol I'm extremely happy I chose the PX 5.5 graphite. They fit me well. Okay, more to come...

Okay I got these on Friday. And didn't get a chance to hit them before playing in Indy Saturday. Heck, I hadn't even taken the plastic off. Hit my tee shot on hole 1. Drove to the ball and opened the iron I was going to use. Proceeded to do this thru the whole round. Man, it was rough. I shot 93. I was having a hard time adjusting to the lighter weight of the graphite shafts. My hands kept getting too fast. After 36 holes , Little by little swing by swing they started to come around. On nice shots the ball just flys. Gets nice height with them plus I was getting the ball to stop more. Looking down on the top line they still have a sleek look for a cavity back. They are just gorgeous with the PX 5.5 graphite shafts.
So, I don't suggest switching from iron to graphite out on the course like I did. I was sort of frustrated and doubting myself. Not good! On Sunday I decided its range time. I went and got a med bucket. And only hit irons and wedges. Once I got my tempo down I saw some really nice shots! Couldn't tell distance really. But I really liked what I saw. I was actually seeing straight shots with less effort. Swinging hard just kills my shots. I worked my way thru the set. When I blade one I no longer get all the shock that shoots up my wrist and elbows. I kept seeing shot after shot going in the same general area. A lot more than I use to see with the TM MBs. I'm liking the bigger faces too. Don't get me wrong I like my MBs.

After going to the range I decided to go play 18. I had the course to myself. I proceeded to shoot an 84. I was actually hitting some really nice shots with the j40s. Out on the course I could tell my distances better. It seems as if I can hit an 8i about 150. That use to be a 7i for me. Plus more control. I mean the ball seemed to be going where I wanted instead of just off line. Tonight I dragged my daughter out to drive me around while I played 9. Had the best 9 holes of my life. Hit 5 of 7 fwys plus 7 of 9 GIR's! Shot an even par 36. I par'd every hole and had 15 putts. So, you figure it out. Lol I'm extremely happy I chose the PX 5.5 graphite. They fit me well. Okay, more to come...
Glad to hear that the DPCs came around for you through your round and then after a bit of work they really performed. I love the pictures of those shafts in them, look slick!

Good stuff so far BF. I bet the more time you spend with those graphite shafts the more and more you will really come to love this decision.

I think cookie is gonna love them too. So far I'm loving the decision. But that is coming after my first ever 36. Lol

Nice update there bullfrog. Glad to hear that you are adapting to them nicely after some initial struggles. How is the ball flight for you? Lower/higher than normal?

I'm hitting it higher than I did with the DG S300. I think the DG S300 are too stiff for my weak swing. Lol

Anyone compared the J40 DPC irons vs Srixon Z-Star irons in terms of forgiveness, distance, and feel? Thanks.

Anyone compared the J40 DPC irons vs Srixon Z-Star irons in terms of forgiveness, distance, and feel? Thanks.
hmm, this is a good comparison. I have hit both. The problem is that the shaft was different so obviously results will be as well. If I remember correctly I think the Z Stars may have a slightly larger face. Both clubs feel excellent at impact. I am a huge fan of the DPC's and have seen great results with them. I also think the sole on the DPC may be smaller, at least it looks it to me. therefor...I would lean towards the DPC. They truly are an incredibly under rated iron

edit: maybe not under rated. but definitely over looked.

Man these irons continue to impress me. Today I hit 13 GIR's, 11 of which were with irons. The greens that I missed were because I either drove it OB or to a spot where I had to pitch out or play for position because I didn't have a shot so I had no chance at a GIR. I really haven't had a ball striking day like that in a long time.

Man these irons continue to impress me. Today I hit 13 GIR's, 11 of which were with irons. The greens that I missed were because I either drove it OB or to a spot where I had to pitch out or play for position because I didn't have a shot so I had no chance at a GIR. I really haven't had a ball striking day like that in a long time.

Very, very nice! You sound like me from a few days ago. These just seem so darn easy too hit and makes me actually feel like a ball striker. I have had very similar findings as you regarding the fact that if I can hit the FW, I stand an awfully good chance of having a GIR. Been a long time since I actually expected that to happen.

Awesome! Glad they are working well for you, Dean. I have had some great ball striking days the past few weeks with my DPCs. It's funny, I loved them with the PX flighted shafts in them, but with the recent shaft change, I am seeing that I am loving them a bit more with each swing I take.

It's come down to the R11's vs J40's for me for a new set of irons and I've hit the R11's at my fitting and hit them well, but I just can't get past the J40's. After reading through this thread and seeing that they still offer forgiveness combined with the look and feel of a player's iron, I think I'd regret it if I bought anything else.

The only downside (isn't a huge deal) is that I was fit into the DG XP shafts which Bstone doesn't offer. The KBS Tour's were a close 2nd, so I don't think it will be a huge issue going with those instead. One thing I wanted to ask for Howzat and Dean and anyone else that has hit these with the KBS Tour's is if you have any comparison with these to S300's? I'm tempted to give the PX 6.0's a go, but when I hit them in the R11's I liked the Tours better, so not sure I'd feel comfortable going the other way. I'll also have to compare the lengths/lofts/lie of these to the R11's and adjust for what the fitter recommended for me, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks guys, there's so much useful info in this thread...just wish more people had a chance to hit these irons. No doubt they'd be top sellers up there with the big names.

It's come down to the R11's vs J40's for me for a new set of irons and I've hit the R11's at my fitting and hit them well, but I just can't get past the J40's. After reading through this thread and seeing that they still offer forgiveness combined with the look and feel of a player's iron, I think I'd regret it if I bought anything else.

The only downside (isn't a huge deal) is that I was fit into the DG XP shafts which Bstone doesn't offer. The KBS Tour's were a close 2nd, so I don't think it will be a huge issue going with those instead. One thing I wanted to ask for Howzat and Dean and anyone else that has hit these with the KBS Tour's is if you have any comparison with these to S300's? I'm tempted to give the PX 6.0's a go, but when I hit them in the R11's I liked the Tours better, so not sure I'd feel comfortable going the other way. I'll also have to compare the lengths/lofts/lie of these to the R11's and adjust for what the fitter recommended for me, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks guys, there's so much useful info in this thread...just wish more people had a chance to hit these irons. No doubt they'd be top sellers up there with the big names.

I played the DG S300's in some Mizuno MP 53's for a season. To me the KBS tours are are much better shaft in terms of feel and ballflight for my game. I am seeing a nice mid/high ballflight and getting very little to no rollout with right now with KBS tours in the DPC's on a well struck shot. If I get a little tired or lazy it is still and nice mid trajectory. With the S300's I really had to put a good swing on the ball to get the desired ball flight. They also don't feel as "smooth" to me for whatever that is worth. The J40's really are more forgiving than they look and my dispursion with these is much better than it was with the MP 53's or the FG Tour V2's I was playing before. I have had to club up a time or two when the pin is towards the back of the green as like I said before I am hardly seeing any rollout and can really do some pin hunting. I hope this helps answer your questions. My only PX comparsion is the stock 5.5's I played for a round in Florida. I liked what I saw in my short time with the stock offering as well but in the end went with the shaft I was comfortable with and had in my previous set. Just my 2 cents but I think the J40's are the way to go.

I played the DG S300's in some Mizuno MP 53's for a season. To me the KBS tours are are much better shaft in terms of feel and ballflight for my game. I am seeing a nice mid/high ballflight and getting very little to no rollout with right now with KBS tours in the DPC's on a well struck shot. If I get a little tired or lazy it is still and nice mid trajectory. With the S300's I really had to put a good swing on the ball to get the desired ball flight. They also don't feel as "smooth" to me for whatever that is worth. The J40's really are more forgiving than they look and my dispursion with these is much better than it was with the MP 53's or the FG Tour V2's I was playing before. I have had to club up a time or two when the pin is towards the back of the green as like I said before I am hardly seeing any rollout and can really do some pin hunting. I hope this helps answer your questions. My only PX comparsion is the stock 5.5's I played for a round in Florida. I liked what I saw in my short time with the stock offering as well but in the end went with the shaft I was comfortable with and had in my previous set. Just my 2 cents but I think the J40's are the way to go.

Thanks buddy, that was actually a very big help. I'm currently playing the MP 60s, and hit them extremely high with the S300s. I'm a natural high ball hitter anyways, so I think it should be an easy transition for me. Would you say the KBS Tour ball flight was higher or lower than the S300s, considering a well struck shot?

Thanks buddy, that was actually a very big help. I'm currently playing the MP 60s, and hit them extremely high with the S300s. I'm a natural high ball hitter anyways, so I think it should be an easy transition for me. Would you say the KBS Tour ball flight was higher or lower than the S300s, considering a well struck shot?

KBS tours are higher than the DG S300's for sure IMO.

KBS tours are higher than the DG S300's for sure IMO.

Cool. Concerns me a tad being an already high ball hitter, but at the fitting I had good #s with them and didn't see any ballooning, so I'm not too concerned. I think I'll enjoy the KBS Tours, they were very, very smooth and felt great. For once I didn't feel like I had to overpower the iron to get good distance. I was swinging smoother and with less effort than I ever have and the Tour's as well as the DG XP were just rocketing the ball. Thanks for the help man, feel pretty good about going with the KBS Tour stiff's now.

Cool. Concerns me a tad being an already high ball hitter, but at the fitting I had good #s with them and didn't see any ballooning, so I'm not too concerned. I think I'll enjoy the KBS Tours, they were very, very smooth and felt great. For once I didn't feel like I had to overpower the iron to get good distance. I was swinging smoother and with less effort than I ever have and the Tour's as well as the DG XP were just rocketing the ball. Thanks for the help man, feel pretty good about going with the KBS Tour stiff's now.

I think they will be a good fit. I have always thought I was a high ball hitter but enjoy the ballflight I am seeing with the KBS tours over the S300's. I have lost a little distance due to a lack of roll out but can really attack the pins and go after it on some holes that I couldn't before. From the interviews JB has done with Kim Braly they seem to fit a wide range of golfers very well.

I think they will be a good fit. I have always thought I was a high ball hitter but enjoy the ballflight I am seeing with the KBS tours over the S300's. I have lost a little distance due to a lack of roll out but can really attack the pins and go after it on some holes that I couldn't before. From the interviews JB has done with Kim Braly they seem to fit a wide range of golfers very well.

Thanks buddy, you've been a huge help!

Back