Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Thx for all the help guys....order placed!

Helps knowing j40 is longer heel to toe vs MP53 cause the reason why I couldn't play mizuno players clubs is due to tiny head size not inspiring confidence at address...the mid size of the J40 as well as it being forged has me sold.

Yeah; I love the size of the Bstone DPC's. Was an easy transition for me. Hope you enjoy them!

It could be the beginning of the honeymoon, but I hit these very good tonight. I hit every iron in the bag, which made the round fun. The thinner profile does not bother me one bit. Secretly I thought it would. I think these cut through the rough very nicely, which is a bonus at my course as they have been growing it in thick recently. Tonight on holes that I had an iron in my hand for my approach I hit 5 of 7 greens. The 2 misses were because of bad drives and I had to punch out of trouble. I am not sure on any distance increase as of yet. Hopefully will have a better feel for that after the weekend.

Good stuff ddec, glad you're starting off on the right foot with them. The DPC's are just SO dang nice.

I had an interesting range session with these tonight. For some reason the longer head was throwing me off. I couldn't seem to get my alignment down and the heads looked very big, especially in the short irons, compared to my previous set. Once I figured out my alignment and set-up these were money. The forgiveness of the longer head is very noticable as I got a few towards the toe that would have punished be by 10-15 yards before but with the DPC's the distance loss was maybe 5 yards if that. The feedback (for me this is mainly audible) is still very good as there is a distinct change in the sound when you miss the sweet spot. The ball flight and distance where basically the same as my previous set which has similar lofts and the same shafts. I can't wait to get these out for another round and will go into a bit more detail at that time.

As many know, I am a huge fan of the PX Flighted 5.5 that I had in mine since I bought them months ago. Got my first range session with these in this afternoon since reshafting them with the KBS Tour 90s, and for my first impressions, I was quite pleased. I was able to hit some towering iron shots, that gives me the feel that I will see my shots able to hold the green rather than see a bit of the rollout I have been seeing due to the lower trajectory I had struggled with at times. I must have sat on the range and hit my 8iron for a good 20 minutes straight, just watching the ball soar up on an enormous arch out the 150 yard marker. Higher ball flight with the same distance? I'll take it!

Nice first thoughts WE! Looking forward to seeing these side by side w/ mine.

WE, did you notice any main differences? I like the PX but the lighter shaft is appealing if it has similar performance...

Nice first thoughts War. Did you notice any widening of your dispersion after swapping the shafts?

Edit: Actually that question is more suited for the testing thread, feel free to answer over there.

--
Tapatalk2

As excited as I am to get the new J40 CB irons in play I have to admit it is also pretty sad to remove the Dual Pocket Cavities from the bag. They won't be going far though, waiting and ready in the event they're call upon. I have been supremely impressed by these irons since the day I first received them.

whenever my r11 irons are retired the j40s will be on my radar, love the look and all the reviews have been glowing

whenever my r11 irons are retired the j40s will be on my radar, love the look and all the reviews have been glowing

They are worth checking out for sure and likely not as much of a transition as you would expect coming from the R11's.

So I decided I am going to leave work early today and try to get 18 in. Usually I play 9 with Jenn on friday nights so I might be able to get 9 in before she gets home and then go from there. I've just been thinking about hitting these irons all day.

So I decided I am going to leave work early today and try to get 18 in. Usually I play 9 with Jenn on friday nights so I might be able to get 9 in before she gets home and then go from there. I've just been thinking about hitting these irons all day.
Smartest decision you've made all week! Have fun bro.

Im the same way. After reshafting mine, I feel like I have a brand new set of clubs to play with.

It's finally done, I just purchased 4-pw with KBS tours (stiff) bent a few degrees strong. BOOM BABY!

It's finally done, I just purchased 4-pw with KBS tours (stiff) bent a few degrees strong. BOOM BABY!
Nice! You bend them strong to match the R11s?

Nice! You bend them strong to match the R11s?
Yes, sir...exactly same lofts...I'll have in hand I two weeks. Dennis took care of me!

Congrats! Any particular reason why you didn't go with the Tour 90's in these? Personally, I think the KBS Tours are a better fit for you but I was just wondering.

About damn time! Been talking about it forever now, ha. Looking forward to your feedback on these man.

Nice purchase man. I'm sure you're going to love them!

a6895820-1aba-7ef0.jpg

someone stole Jakes bag!

Back