Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

While I have been hitting my J40s quite well the past few weeks and feel my game has come around a good bit, I still see the misses out on the toe a good bit. I am giving Golftec a call tomorrow and hoping the can get me in to get my lie angles checked. I have never had them adjusted on a set of irons, so I am quite interested to see what will come out of this.

While I have been hitting my J40s quite well the past few weeks and feel my game has come around a good bit, I still see the misses out on the toe a good bit. I am giving Golftec a call tomorrow and hoping the can get me in to get my lie angles checked. I have never had them adjusted on a set of irons, so I am quite interested to see what will come out of this.

I will be curious to hear what they say. I have always been fitted for 1/2" long and 2 up. I went to Golftec with the V2's and they like the standard lie and only recommendd 1/4" long. I ended up going 1/2" long and 2 up in the J40's and so far I am happy I did.

Interested to see what you come back with too WE. Was fitted for standard length and 1.5* up in the R11s and thats probably what I'll go with for the J40s. Not sure how much I trust the 1.5* up, but I'll try it and see what happens.

I will be curious to hear what they say. I have always been fitted for 1/2" long and 2 up. I went to Golftec with the V2's and they like the standard lie and only recommendd 1/4" long. I ended up going 1/2" long and 2 up in the J40's and so far I am happy I did.
I dont ever really remember having the problem of hitting out on the toe with the V2s...hmmm. I know instantly when I hit on the toe with the J40s, but the results arent unbearable. I think if I get them bent a bit upright it will help me out tremendously.

I dont ever really remember having the problem of hitting out on the toe with the V2s...hmmm. I know instantly when I hit on the toe with the J40s, but the results arent unbearable. I think if I get them bent a bit upright it will help me out tremendously.

The toe shots were my main miss on the V2's and I haven't seen that issue w/ the J40's at all. Sounds like you are doing the right thing getting it checked out.

Now that I have had these irons in the bag for 45 holes of golf I figure I can throw in some initial thoughts on them. As a quick background I am coming from a set of Ping i10's with their stock AWT Stiff flex shaft.

Looks: I like the way they set up to the ball, I would say it's a nice classic looking iron at address. The do appear to be longer from heel to toe than my i10's which gives the perception of more forgiveness. My previous irons had a darker finish to them so glare was never an issue, it hasn't been an issue with these either even though they are chrome. As you've seen in pictures, the cavity is very nice looking. No loud colors or fancy badges on the bag, just the dual pocket cavity look and a simple inscribed B.

Feel: I had these paired with the KBS Tour Stiff shaft. It's the first time I've ever owned a set of irons with KBS shafts. I decided on KBS because at the outing I hit a slew of different irons, and one's that I really enjoyed had the KBS Tour shafts in them. Now I know that doesn't always translate, but I just thought the shaft felt very smooth and gave me solid performance. Paired with these irons they feel great. Since feel is often associated with sound it's easy to say these feel soft because when you hit them they are pretty quiet compared to my previous set. When you miss out on the toe or on the inner heel you do get some feedback letting you know that you did not hit a solid shot, but nothing that sends a huge stinger up your arms.

Performance: I had the lofts strengthened 1 degree so they are stronger than my previous set, but not nearly as strong as the irons I used in last years MC. I would say that due to the combination of iron head and shaft I am seeing some slight distance gains. I'm not talking about a full club extra, but probably a good 5 yards. The other night I dropped 4 balls at the 150 marker to the center of green and hit a 7 iron 3 times that flew almost 3/4 of the way in to the green, when I switched to an 8 iron I came about 5-7 yards short of the middle. So for me those yardages are solid enough to know what I'm working with.

The ball flight with the KBS Tour is a higher flight than what I was getting before, which would probably help equate to more distance. Since the ball flight is slightly higher I notice my shots were holding the greens better than before, in fact a lot better. It has given me a little more confidence to actually go at a pin because I feel the ball will hold rather than spring forward, or try to land it short.

The other thing I am enjoying about these is the turf interaction. I'll admit, I chickened out on going 2 degrees strong because I was afraid of hitting the ball fat constantly. Now I think I could have gone that direction. I think these cut through the turf nicely and the beveled edge on the sole seems to help from those fat shots. I don't think the leading edge is as sharp as other irons I've tried in the past.

Grips: I ordered the Lamkin Crossline grips. I think these are a good alternative to the tour velvet that come stock. The crossline grip can feel rough when they are brand new, but after a round of 2 they seem to get softer which is something I like. I played in some serious heat on Weds-Fri and I did not experience any slippage with these grips. So far I like my choice.

Overall: I have enjoyed these to this point. I think the larger blade helps inspire a little more confidence than my previous set, which is nice. I really like the performance I get out of them, esp the ball flight. Heck I've even taken the 5 iron off the tee just because I'm not afraid too:alien:

Once again thank you to Bridgestone Golf and THP for this truly amazing experience.
I think you are going to love the KBS Tours even more once you play with them more.

Can you go into the forgiveness aspect of these more. I realize the blades look bigger, but what kind of forgiveness are you seeing? I found these irons to be on the harsh side of forgiveness and I think a lot of that had to do with the shaft I was hitting. The proper shaft selection is so crucial to an iron set and I just want to hammer that home. It's something that is so simple to get fit for with today's technology and to bypass that would be foolish.

Enjoyed reading that Cap, nice work and looking forward to hearing how they continue to work for you.

I think you are going to love the KBS Tours even more once you play with them more.

Can you go into the forgiveness aspect of these more. I realize the blades look bigger, but what kind of forgiveness are you seeing? I found these irons to be on the harsh side of forgiveness and I think a lot of that had to do with the shaft I was hitting. The proper shaft selection is so crucial to an iron set and I just want to hammer that home. It's something that is so simple to get fit for with today's technology and to bypass that would be foolish.

Enjoyed reading that Cap, nice work and looking forward to hearing how they continue to work for you.
biggsy, I think it would have to be the shaft you were using. These irons are far from harsh. But, having the PX 6.0 in my previous set of 38's and the PX 5.5 in this set, I can tell you the iron feels COMPLETELY different!

Thanks one-T. I'll give them a go today. It was very hard to find a golf store that has them in stock.

One-T, I read through this thread and not sure if I missed it or not but do you know your 6i speed? Just curious about the difference in 5.5 to 6.0, as the 6.0 felt extremely boardy to me even though thats what lined up with my suggested shafts. Part of me knows the KBS Tours are probably a better fit for me but another part of me feels that Bridgestone knew what they were doing putting the flighted px in there. Makes me want to trust their choice, even though I didn't like the 6.0

I love my i20's like no other, but I do miss my DPC's. Such tremendous irons.

Love this thread.

First league night with these in the bag (I think). The lower irons were deadly right out of the bag, but the long irons are taking me some time to get used to. I will have more tomorrow after my round.

One-T, I read through this thread and not sure if I missed it or not but do you know your 6i speed? Just curious about the difference in 5.5 to 6.0, as the 6.0 felt extremely boardy to me even though thats what lined up with my suggested shafts. Part of me knows the KBS Tours are probably a better fit for me but another part of me feels that Bridgestone knew what they were doing putting the flighted px in there. Makes me want to trust their choice, even though I didn't like the 6.0
My 6 iron CH speed is 86. I agree with you 100% that the 6.0 feels boardy. So...thats why I went 5.5. Dude, I feel like I have control of the club now. it is a different ball game with that shaft in that head.

My 6 iron CH speed is 86. I agree with you 100% that the 6.0 feels boardy. So...thats why I went 5.5. Dude, I feel like I have control of the club now. it is a different ball game with that shaft in that head.

Damn you throwing a wrench in my plan...we have basically the same 6i speed.

Damn you throwing a wrench in my plan...we have basically the same 6i speed.
rofl....my bad dude. I love the ball flight from the 5.5 as well.

rofl....my bad dude. I love the ball flight from the 5.5 as well.

"my bad, as I continue to throw wrenches!!!!"

no worries man, very helpful. Got some decisions to make

I think I had a dream I made a hole in one with these last night at Augusta. I think that's a sign.

I think I had a dream I made a hole in one with these last night at Augusta. I think that's a sign.

which hole hehe

I love these irons

Just thought I'd post a chat I had with a Bstone guy to show how awesome they are. I'm one of those guys that likes to get as many opinions about something as possible, so I went straight to the source and ended up with an AWESOME rep over at Bstone to help me out. Here ya go:

Spoiler
Brooks: Hey James...about to order some J40 DPC irons. I'm between the PX Flighted 5.5 shafts and KBS tours in stiff. Can you tell me the main differences?
SeamlessJim: yes.... you've found the right guy. I've played both!
Brooks: Awesome!
SeamlessJim: 5.5 used to be a "custom" shaft, now it's in the regular offerings. Here's my breakdown:
6.0 is more like a "stiff", but I find the 5.5 to be fairly stiff, for "middle shaft". It's very popular in the 40 line - the big diff. with PX flighted,
is that they FLIGHT the clubs, according to the iron #. In other words, the 3iron will fligh higher, the 9-iron lower.
Brooks: oh, very interesting. Didn't know that
SeamlessJim: Just personally, I put the KBS tour stiffs (I swing about 92mph with a 5 iron), into my J38's this summer - and LOVE them.
They have a "step pattern" that just feels difference - hard to describe.
re: FLIGHTED? Yes, that's the purpose in those.
Brooks: I tried the KBS Tours not too long ago at a fitting and they felt very good. Was very easy to hit them easy and get great distance. Have about 88 mph 6i speed. Tried the 6.0 flighted, seemed very board to me
SeamlessJim: Yeah, we're in the same 5-mile range. I like the KBS tour stiff pick.
Again, I'm biased a bit.... but I think they would work.
Brooks: How is the flight of the KBS Tours? I hit the ball pretty high with S300s...was a little worried it might get too high but when I hit them I didn't see anything too crazy so I don't think it should be a huge deal
SeamlessJim: I find them to be a "mid" flight ....
But, lower than I used to ... I also hit the ball too high with the 300s... funny you said that! That's what I switched from.
Brooks: Nice....sounds like these would be great for me then. Looking for something not quite as high as the S300s so the Tours might be the answer...very cool
SeamlessJim: I'm glad you got me.... it's cool when the experience matched up like this.
Brooks: Yeah it really is..Bridgestone is awesome. Can't tell enough people about you guys!
SeamlessJim: Please do!
We are still growing.... appreciate that.
Brooks, be sure (if you've locked into one ball of ours) - to take advantage of the shirt promo....
http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/promo/apparel
Brooks: Ok, will do! Big fan of the B330's. Need to get some more!
SeamlessJim: Perfect, bud. Please stay in touch, okay?
Let me know how the shafts fit.
Brooks: Thanks Jim, you were a great help.
SeamlessJim: appreciate that.....
Brooks: Have a good one!
SeamlessJim: You as well.....

Brooks, that was a cool read! Incredible how easy it is to contact them and get the exact information you need, when you need it.

very cool. I've talked to Seamless Jim before, he's great to chat with. He helped me with hybrid and fw shafts.

I will say I have the KBS Tour in my irons and I don't regret it one bit.

very cool. I've talked to Seamless Jim before, he's great to chat with. He helped me with hybrid and fw shafts.

I will say I have the KBS Tour in my irons and I don't regret it one bit.

I have no doubt about the Tour's now. Between you, Howzat, and Jim I think they will fit me well. Excited to get my order in with Blind9 and join the Bridgestone crew.

Quick question: does anybody know if you damage the club by adjusting the lie more than once? ie. if I get them +1 1/2 then later on need to get them adjusted to only like +1 or + 1/2 or something, does it damage the club to adjust back down?

@ bahester - Should be fine, however check the lie against what you were fit to, unless you were fit to the j40's. The 5i lie is 62deg.. I was originally fit to ping green dot which is +2.25 over their standard. I need only 1 degree up on the j40's to keep within the same specs.

Should be no worries as the steel is soft enough for movement + or -.

@ bahester - Should be fine, however check the lie against what you were fit to, unless you were fit to the j40's. The 5i lie is 62deg.. I was originally fit to ping green dot which is +2.25 over their standard. I need only 1 degree up on the j40's to keep within the same specs.

Should be no worries as the steel is soft enough for movement + or -.

Thanks Grumpy! I was fit to R11's so when I get off work today I'll compare them up against the J40's and see if they compare or I need to account for differences.

Back