TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Thanks, gents. Glad you are enjoying the reads, and Thainer, glad I could influence you enough to try these out...they are definitely a great wedge, the best I have tried personally.

I finally got my 52* ATV yesterday. After 20 swings on the range there is a huge gash on the face. At least half an inch diagonally across the middle grooves. I'm assuming you guys will want to see pics, but is this this something I should contact TMAG about? I have had the 56* for over a month now and it only shows norrma wear and tear.

Gashes normally come from catching a rock in the ground that you couldn't see, and that isn't TMAG's problem. Post a pic up so we can have a look, but I'm not sure they are going to do anything (nor should they).

Gashes come from rocks and the like, not hitting golf balls...I know it sucks, but it's bound to happen sometime, and clubs with some character are much better. When they look like they've been to battle, people know they can get the job done. When the looks stop mattering it makes it much easier to demand higher performance.

I'm hanging in there as my issue with the knee is long term so I just have to work through it. Knee replacement surgery is on the agenda and I am putting it off for now. I'm going out today and play, so we will see how it goes. I will report back this evening on the results. Thanks for the well wishes! I'm a tough old coot and can hang with the pain however not being able to play up to my potential, gets on my nerves :D

Play well, man...and I hope the pain isn't too strong and that it doesn't hold you back. My mother had knee replacement surgery a couple years ago, it worked out well for her in the end. I wish you the best.

Nice read IHWT, day's like that bring a person back down to earth and help me to refind the whats and whys in my swing. On a bright note the ATV hung in there for you.

I am wanting to get new wedges in the next week or two. I currently have a set of X-12s 5-SW. The PW is 46*, GW is 51* and the SW is 55*. I also have a Wilson 60*. I need help with what wedges I should replace and what lofts. After reading most of this review thread, the ATV is at the top of my list. For a high handicapper like me, would less wedges or more wedges be more beneficial?

I am wanting to get new wedges in the next week or two. I currently have a set of X-12s 5-SW. The PW is 46*, GW is 51* and the SW is 55*. I also have a Wilson 60*. I need help with what wedges I should replace and what lofts. After reading most of this review thread, the ATV is at the top of my list. For a high handicapper like me, would less wedges or more wedges be more beneficial?

More.

I think you'd see benefit swapping out the gap, sand, and lob. But then again I am not a fan of "iron set" wedges as I feel they sell the player short of what is available on the market.

Give the ATV's a test drive and see what you think.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

More.

I think you'd see benefit swapping out the gap, sand, and lob. But then again I am not a fan of "iron set" wedges as I feel they sell the player short of what is available on the market.

Give the ATV's a test drive and see what you think.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

Thanks IHWT. I am going to pick one wedge up this weekend and see how it plays. If it feels right I will get the rest. Which one do you think I should try out first?

IHWT,
I would like to here a little bit more on the 52* as I just got one to fill in that part of my game. I'm not a low or plus HCer like you but I think our yardage is around the same for the ATV's.
Your doing a great job with this review and keep up the good work.

Thanks IHWT. I am going to pick one wedge up this weekend and see how it plays. If it feels right I will get the rest. Which one do you think I should try out first?

I would look into the 56 at firs, who knows you may not even need a 60* wedge, I don't at the moment.

For lofts, I would recommend looking at 50, 54, 58. That way it will give you consistent 4* gaps from your pw as opposed to something like 52, 56, 60, which leaves you a 6* from your pw. I like consistent gaps from my pw at 4* so I have more options. That said I was arry 4 wedges so I can afford the luxury of 4* gaps starting at pw

Dan

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

I got back on the course for 18 today and not much was going good accept for some stellar saves from my ATV56. I came up short on hole #2 on my approach, which left me 10 yds over thick grass to a pin sloping away. I choked down and sweep the grass a couple of times and then executed a cool little touch shot on the edge of the rough that released forward just enough to roll to the hole. Tap in to save par. Next hole I pushed my tee shot which ended up across the cart path 30 yds from the green in a tough muddy lie with little grass. A bit scary little over the cart path, thick rough and 10 yds of green to the pin. I made up my mind to focus on a good smooth take away and a nice even follow through. Two practice brushes and then I executed the wedge shot just like I had seen it in my mind. The ATV moved through the mud because I had it in my mind the club was not going to be jerked into the ball. I accelerated through the shot and watch it fly over the cart path, rough, and land on the green rolling 10 foot by the hole. I made the putt for par which thrilled me coming out of that muddy lie. The third shot that stuck in my mind was an up hill shot on number nine which was dead on the hundred yard mark although the drive was a good bit right of center and the hole was elevated slightly which put me about 110. I had a slight breeze and almost went with my 50 degree wedge. I told my partner lets see what the ATV has for this shot. I hit a nice HIGH approach shot that not only made it but ended up 25 foot beyond the pin! Blew me away to say the least and I two putted for par. I had no sand trap shots today think goodness as we had one hell of a thunder storm roll through dumping tons of water last night. The traps looked like those at the British Open with standing water. I had a few short pitch shots on the back where I executed them quite well except for two that I thinned across the green. I hate trying to pick the ball off those wet muddy lies where you can chunk the heck out of it or skin it. The ATV wedge can't save ya from all of those really crappy muddy lies. :D It's a great club and it's my buddy for sure!

I got back on the course for 18 today and not much was going good accept for some stellar saves from my ATV56. I came up short on hole #2 on my approach, which left me 10 yds over thick grass to a pin sloping away. I choked down and sweep the grass a couple of times and then executed a cool little touch shot on the edge of the rough that released forward just enough to roll to the hole. Tap in to save par. Next hole I pushed my tee shot which ended up across the cart path 30 yds from the green in a tough muddy lie with little grass. A bit scary little over the cart path, thick rough and 10 yds of green to the pin. I made up my mind to focus on a good smooth take away and a nice even follow through. Two practice brushes and then I executed the wedge shot just like I had seen it in my mind. The ATV moved through the mud because I had it in my mind the club was not going to be jerked into the ball. I accelerated through the shot and watch it fly over the cart path, rough, and land on the green rolling 10 foot by the hole. I made the putt for par which thrilled me coming out of that muddy lie. The third shot that stuck in my mind was an up hill shot on number nine which was dead on the hundred yard mark although the drive was a good bit right of center and the hole was elevated slightly which put me about 110. I had a slight breeze and almost went with my 50 degree wedge. I told my partner lets see what the ATV has for this shot. I hit a nice HIGH approach shot that not only made it but ended up 25 foot beyond the pin! Blew me away to say the least and I two putted for par. I had no sand trap shots today think goodness as we had one hell of a thunder storm roll through dumping tons of water last night. The traps looked like those at the British Open with standing water. I had a few short pitch shots on the back where I executed them quite well except for two that I thinned across the green. I hate trying to pick the ball off those wet muddy lies where you can chunk the heck out of it or skin it. The ATV wedge can't save ya from all of those really crappy muddy lies. :D It's a great club and it's my buddy for sure!

Dude, I am just glad you were able to get out for a round and hack away. We appreciate your feedback, as usual. Sounds like you had some pretty amazing shots with the ATV today. We say it time and time again, you just have to trust the ATV to do the job for you. Like you said, you can draw it up in your mind, trust the wedge, and most times, the shot comes out exactly as you imagined it.

OG...good stuff, bro. Glad you were able to get out and play, and glad the ATV was there to bail you out. I love the part where you trusted the shot then executed it, that is paramount n all facets of the game, especially with wedges, and especially with the ATV. The best results I've seen come from confident swings.

As uriel said, if it were me, I would go with the 56°, as it is middle of the road. It gives you a great glimpse of the guts of the ATV to allow you to see if it is for you or not.

Depending on what potential set up you plan on going, it may differ. If you intend on going 50°, 54°, 58°; go with the 54° first.

IHWT,
I would like to here a little bit more on the 52* as I just got one to fill in that part of my game. I'm not a low or plus HCer like you but I think our yardage is around the same for the ATV's.
Your doing a great job with this review and keep up the good work.

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate the kind words.

I actually have a 50°, not a 52°...but I am really enjoying it thus far. My yardages are:

50° - 140 yards max, 135 smooth/dead hands, 130 knockdown
56° - 125 yards max, 120 smooth/dead hands, 115 knockdown

The 50° is great for my needs, which are pretty standard for what a 50° is needed for. I use it for full shots to fill the distance gap between my PW and SW, and for running pitches, chips, and bump and runs. If I want the ball to release on a longer shot, this is my stick. If I want anything around the green to get running quickly, this is my club. The turf interaction that comes along with the ATV sole is fantastic for all of these shots. The ability for me to have a club I use for running shots, but can comfortably set a bit open, is great...I set everything a hair open inside of 75 yards (literally, just a tad, as it fits my eye better). On full shots, this club is heaven when it comes to eating through the fairway or rough. I still can't get over the turf interaction and ease of getting through the dirt.

Is the 50° a club I can claim you can lay wide open and hit mini flops with ease? No. A 50° isn't meant for that (as we all know). It does have the ability to be set open with ease, but the sole differs a decent bit from that of the 56° (not as wide, etc.). However, a 50° IMO has it's duties and the ATV variety handles all of them with ease. Anytime I want something to have a little run out on it, I can pull the 50° out with confidence.

Im a high handicapper and I think my game has benefitted from using more wedges.

Is the 50° a club I can claim you can lay wide open and hit mini flops with ease? No. A 50° isn't meant for that (as we all know). It does have the ability to be set open with ease, but the sole differs a decent bit from that of the 56° (not as wide, etc.). However, a 50° IMO has it's duties and the ATV variety handles all of them with ease. Anytime I want something to have a little run out on it, I can pull the 50° out with confidence.

I got a 56 but I doubt I will continue on and get a 52 until my 52 needs replacement. The 56 is very versatile and does many things well.

No matter how the rest of my game has gone in the last 2 weeks (9 rounds so far) my wedge play has been solid. The ATV takes the scary out of everything. I hit more than a few tight tough shots jut the way I pictured them with my ATV. The ATV creates so much confidence you start hunting for pins, even from bunkers.

I put together 3 of the best rounds I have played since I have been back playing golf in the last couple weeks, one of them was a personal best. I think some of it is improved wedge and bunker play and the ATV gets used anytime I am in a bunker, even today when I was in a footprint, all that was needed was to swing harder and out it came.

Confidence that you can hit the ball very close every time leads to better play that leads to more confidence. My ATV 56 = confidence.

OG, a day like that and I'd be teeing up with the ATV, lol. Well done buddy, that uphill shot was crazy long for a 56* and the one out of the mud is just crazy cool.

50° - 140 yards max, 135 smooth/dead hands, 130 knockdown
56° - 125 yards max, 120 smooth/dead hands, 115 knockdown

Damn dude, I need to work out or something, haha. All out and I don't hit this 56* as far as your knockdown.

I got a 56 but I doubt I will continue on and get a 52 until my 52 needs replacement. The 56 is very versatile and does many things well.

No matter how the rest of my game has gone in the last 2 weeks (9 rounds so far) my wedge play has been solid. The ATV takes the scary out of everything. I hit more than a few tight tough shots jut the way I pictured them with my ATV. The ATV creates so much confidence you start hunting for pins, even from bunkers.

I put together 3 of the best rounds I have played since I have been back playing golf in the last couple weeks, one of them was a personal best. I think some of it is improved wedge and bunker play and the ATV gets used anytime I am in a bunker, even today when I was in a footprint, all that was needed was to swing harder and out it came.

Confidence that you can hit the ball very close every time leads to better play that leads to more confidence. My ATV 56 = confidence.

Very well said, congrats as well on the PB.

Well if I can't get my 588 wedge issues sorted out I think I may order a 54* ATV to give it a run and see how I like it. I'm an extreme digger when it comes to wedges and the 588s are giving me some issues in that regard. Partial shots seem to be okay, but I'm really struggling on full shots which I'm not used to. I need the full shots to fill gaps, and I'm pretty used to that with the wedges I had before these.

Gonna start going through this thread tomorrow!

How was Firestone?

How was Firestone?

How was Firestone South? Did you go? If so, did you even watch the action? (You've been so busy here adding reviews I'm surprised you had time!)

While my wife & son were setting up the Holland hospitality tent on 16, Jim Furyk's guy was telling them about Thursday. Because Furyk was in the lead, he took extra time doing interviews - which means clients had extra time to drink. By the time Furyk got there, some lady from Pittsburgh was trashed, & when Jim mentioned he was a Steelers fan, she gave him hugs & kisses. Afterward, Furyk's guy apologized to Jim for letting that happen, & Jim said "No, it's OK. It's actually easier to handle when they're drunk."

He sounds pretty down-to-earth. Hope you got to enjoy it Hart!

Well if I can't get my 588 wedge issues sorted out I think I may order a 54* ATV to give it a run and see how I like it. I'm an extreme digger when it comes to wedges and the 588s are giving me some issues in that regard. Partial shots seem to be okay, but I'm really struggling on full shots which I'm not used to. I need the full shots to fill gaps, and I'm pretty used to that with the wedges I had before these.

If possible check one of these out at a local course pro-shop before you buy, just to see what you think first. Others may disagree with me here, but these have a much wider sole nd while they can still dig ok, I'm not sure how well they are fit for an "Extreme Digger". Also, some of the others struggled a little with their full shots at first, but I think that was just getting to know the club. Good luck buddy, hope it works out for you.

If possible check one of these out at a local course pro-shop before you buy, just to see what you think first. Others may disagree with me here, but these have a much wider sole nd while they can still dig ok, I'm not sure how well they are fit for an "Extreme Digger". Also, some of the others struggled a little with their full shots at first, but I think that was just getting to know the club. Good luck buddy, hope it works out for you.

Thanks Due, excellent point. I may actually hold off until the NC outing and see if somebody there will let me swing theirs and see how it goes. Great point man!

Thanks Due, excellent point. I may actually hold off until the NC outing and see if somebody there will let me swing theirs and see how it goes. Great point man!

I'm fearful of letting anyone get within breathing distance of my ATV's just because I'd be afraid of it running away from my awful game :banghead:

All kidding aside, I'm sure someone will let you work with it, and you'll love it and buy 1 or a few.

Dan

Damn dude, I need to work out or something, haha. All out and I don't hit this 56* as far as your knockdown.

haha, I play pretty long across my bag, my irons are the more insane thing.

I'm a driver/digger as well, I've said it before, I think the ATV plays like a high bounce wedge in most cases. To counter due's point, wide sole = higher effective bounce = better for you.

Hope you get a chance to try 'em out in NC.

How was Firestone South? Did you go? If so, did you even watch the action? (You've been so busy here adding reviews I'm surprised you had time!)

While my wife & son were setting up the Holland hospitality tent on 16, Jim Furyk's guy was telling them about Thursday. Because Furyk was in the lead, he took extra time doing interviews - which means clients had extra time to drink. By the time Furyk got there, some lady from Pittsburgh was trashed, & when Jim mentioned he was a Steelers fan, she gave him hugs & kisses. Afterward, Furyk's guy apologized to Jim for letting that happen, & Jim said "No, it's OK. It's actually easier to handle when they're drunk."

He sounds pretty down-to-earth. Hope you got to enjoy it Hart!

Furyk sounds like a good guy, haha. He's a Steelers fan though? Hmm...I think I like his even less now.

I did indeed make it up there yesterday. I followed Tiger for a couple holes, Rory for most of his final 9, Bubba/Ernie for a bit, Adam Scott and Matt Kuchar for a bit; then drove 2 hours back home. My dad is a lefty and love Phil, so we watched him play a coupe holes. Very hot day out there yesterday, but I had a great time. I always enjoy following them and trying to learn some things (how they play shots, what trajectory they use, and so on). For me, I use it more as a live comparison and learning session than anything...plus I always make my dad tell me if Rory/Tiger/Adam Scott is longer off the tee than me or not. When he looks at me like "WTF?" I just say "Dude, I've seen watched me hit a driver...I just see it out of my eyes over the ball and it looks much different".

Picked up my 50 * bent to 49* today ...only had a chance to hit a few balls on the driving range.....
initial feel for me is I like the club.....as others have commented on here there is a distinct and different sound from the club face when you hit the ball......even with range balls I was getting a nice flight .....didn't really go after any full shots as I didn't want to tweak the elbow but three quarters shots felt good and look like its going to fit in the gap in my irons nicely. Even managed a flop shot off the matt........I think I am in love.....

Picked up my 50 * bent to 49* today ...only had a chance to hit a few balls on the driving range.....
initial feel for me is I like the club.....as others have commented on here there is a distinct and different sound from the club face when you hit the ball......even with range balls I was getting a nice flight .....didn't really go after any full shots as I didn't want to tweak the elbow but three quarters shots felt good and look like its going to fit in the gap in my irons nicely. Even managed a flop shot off the matt........I think I am in love.....

Good stuff Ranger and I am looking forward to your on course time with this weapon :thumb:. Write ya self up a mini review once you have spent some time with it and she get's all dirty and stuff.

Played my first round with my ATV 56* KBS Hi Rev combo in the bag and what a wedge it was today! Amazing spin this wedge puts on a ball. Out of the sand, no problem, from the rough, no problem, from soaking wet tight lie, kind of a problem lol. Joking aside the only 2 shots that I would consider bad and unacceptable were about 10 feet off the green next to where the sprinkler heads are where it was soaking wet, I chunked those 2 shots. I still need to get my distance control dialed in with this wedge as well, I am hitting it a good 10 yards farther than I was hitting the SCOR 56*. Once I get the distance dialed in especially with the 1/2 and 3/4 shots I think I will be deadly with it! Only gripe I have is that this wedge shows the wear very fast, I have one round and one range session and it looks like it has at least 5 or 6 rounds and some range time on it. As long as it still performs and the grooves don't wear down that fast I am ok with it.

Played my first round with my ATV 56* KBS Hi Rev combo in the bag and what a wedge it was today! Amazing spin this wedge puts on a ball. Out of the sand, no problem, from the rough, no problem, from soaking wet tight lie, kind of a problem lol. Joking aside the only 2 shots that I would consider bad and unacceptable were about 10 feet off the green next to where the sprinkler heads are where it was soaking wet, I chunked those 2 shots. I still need to get my distance control dialed in with this wedge as well, I am hitting it a good 10 yards farther than I was hitting the SCOR 56*. Once I get the distance dialed in especially with the 1/2 and 3/4 shots I think I will be deadly with it! Only gripe I have is that this wedge shows the wear very fast, I have one round and one range session and it looks like it has at least 5 or 6 rounds and some range time on it. As long as it still performs and the grooves don't wear down that fast I am ok with it.

Thanks for your thoughts, I am really interested in your comparisons with the SCOR wedges, keep it coming please!

Nice thoughts 10yard. Such a good wedge isn't it? I just love how versatile it is.

Back