How does you significant other feel about golf...and the time you spend on it?

I can say I know ddec loves that I play. One because he has a built in playing partner and two because I understand why he loves it so much. This is coming from someone who swore she would never play or understand the game.

Can you have a little talk with my wife please?

Erica supports me having a hobby and doing something active, but I do sense she that the time I spend on golf related things can annoy her at times. It's a balancing act that I've gotten pretty good at. That being said, we both have our interests and allow each other to pursue them happily. I think it's unhealthy to stifle people from their passions and we talked about that very thing early on when we started dating. Gotta have your 'me time'.

The main issue for me is that my wife does not have a hobby. This makes me look selfish

My wife is awesome. She loves that I have a legal hobby where I can get my guy time and dont get arrested. No, she doesnt like 36 hole benders on the weekend, but she doesnt mind me playing & practicing 1-2 times a week. She even likes watching golf (easy to nap to), likes riding along while I play during the evenings, and enjoys playing in some BS couples events.

(So she doesnt know how often I ho clubs, thats between me and PayPal.)

This is probably my one and only beef although I do not say anything about it other than "I miss you on Saturdays". OG loves his buddy time on Saturdays but he can be gone from 7:30 until 4:30. He came home after 18 last Saturday and shocked me! I do wish Saturdays were not written in stone but they pretty much are for the entire year unless something REALLY important comes up.

The main issue for me is that my wife does not have a hobby. This makes me look selfish
Maybe you are her hobby? When you are out golfing, she has nothing to do.

Send her on over.

We are coming up that way this weekend..haha She is from Latham. We have to go to a wedding in Rotterdam this weekend but next time we come up for a weekend to visit her family I am going to hopefully play some golf with Dean. Maybe you can sweet talk my wife..haha

My wife loves the idea of me playing golf because it is a way of exercise for me. The part that she hates is the Market Place, Golf Galaxy, Ebay....:act-up:

We are coming up that way this weekend..haha She is from Latham. We have to go to a wedding in Rotterdam this weekend but next time we come up for a weekend to visit her family I am going to hopefully play some golf with Dean. Maybe you can sweet talk my wife..haha

We can try to go to dinner after you guys golf and I can talk to her then.

My ex-wife was similar and I had a hard time relating to that. Hobbies and all that make life interesting. I'm sure it's tough dude. Like I said, Erica is about as supporting as they come, but she even gets a little testy if I'm not careful.

We can try to go to dinner after you guys golf and I can talk to her then.

Sounds like a plan. She is coming even if I have to tie her up..haha Funny thing is, she played golf in high school and is pretty good at it, but she just isnt interested in making it a hobby for whatever reason. My daughter is 1 month old now so I am giving her until she is 6 months before she starts practicing..haha

I am pondering getting her a set of used womans clubs to try and get her out there
Not a bad idea. But then you run the risk of her asking you why you continue to play so much when you are so terrible at the game.

Not a bad idea. But then you run the risk of her asking you why you continue to play so much when you are so terrible at the game.

To get better of course. Or to spend quality time with her

My wife HATES my addiction to golf. So much that I almost gave up the game and started a thread about it. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?33145-I-m-considering-giving-up-the-game Long story short:

I suggested a golf allowance and she agreed. I get $150 a month to spend on golf. How I spend it is up to me. If I spend it all on a fancy round of golf, so be it. If I spend it on a club, so be it. Anything left at the end of the month carries over to the next. I am extremely happy with this agreement. I should be able to play at least once every 2 weeks and still have money for stuff like balls, gloves, etc. So far it's been working out. The best part is that I don't play over the winter, but I still get the allowance. Come spring I have like $800-$900 saved up!

To get better of course. Or to spend quality time with her

Dean used the quality time reason on me to start. Can is say take her to the range for a while before ever bringing her near a course.

I remember OG being aggravated that we were going to a wedding that was at 3pm on a Saturday. He fussed and fussed about why anyone would schedule a wedding in the middle of the day on a Saturday. This is the kind of stuff that annoys me. There is more to life than golf. Haha.

She loves the fact I golf. Buying clubs and stuff all the time not so much but playing golf, no problem. As a matter of fact any course reviews I have done she took the pictures for. She drives the cart (everywhere but a few tee boxes at Jasper Park Lodge) and when I pull out a wedge around the green she says "you know what to do wife" and meets me on the green with my putter.
I think she loves the fact my back is good enough to golf again and that I am out getting exercise.

I hate to read these threads because it bums me out to know that some people have such a hard time getting out to do what they love.

I hate to read these threads because it bums me out to know that some people have such a hard time getting out to do what they love.

Its okay. When its time to retire and we move to FL she will never see me. I will be making up for all the years of not playing...haha

I have the coolest wife in the world and she fully supports me. She just wished it wasn't so time consuming and I would ha e to agree with her.

My ex-wife was similar and I had a hard time relating to that. Hobbies and all that make life interesting. I'm sure it's tough dude. Like I said, Erica is about as supporting as they come, but she even gets a little testy if I'm not careful.

I can totally understand this being an issue. As I said in the OP my wife fully support and encourages my golf addiction but then again she has her own hobbies that I in turn fully support. I guess it's hard to make it give and take if it isn't really possible to give...

That was one of the issues I had with my ex wife. I basicly gave up the game other than the rare round with my dad or trip to the range. It was easier for me to not argue and not care that I was missing out than it was to argue. So I just let it go. She didn't have any hobbies or anything to do, so I busted my butt around the house on my days off so she had time to find hobbies, never happened. Now I have a great g/f who is the complete opposite and almost gets mad at me for not going to the course or the range on nice day.

I have the coolest wife in the world and she fully supports me. She just wished it wasn't so time consuming and I would ha e to agree with her.

This is the way it is with me. I feel bad sometimes when I am gone for 6 hours for a round. I have been looking into joining a private club to shorten my time away.

Back