FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
I just started golfing and have played 10 rounds so far since July. I have a nice staycation lined up next week and I want to play as much golf as possible during it. I play with the same group of people every weekend but they can only get off work 1 or 2 days during next week to play so I will be out on my alone a lot.

Do courses let people play alone? I wouldn't mind getting paired up playing with other people but I am pretty bad(my best round is a 113) so I don't want to waste someone's day waiting around on me or piss people off. I'm a good sport andI have good golf etiquette(but I am still screwing some things up) but I do play a bit slow because of how many shot s I take and looking for my ball in the rough a lot.

I will be playing in Southern NJ, anyone have any experiences playing alone or during anytime midweek around there? The courses I have played are Riverwinds, Town & Country, Scottland Run, Ramblewood, Turtle Creek, and Ballomar.

Anyone have any insight on playing alone?

On weekends when it is more crowded they will generally pair you up with people, but if you are going to during the week, during the day you should be fine to play alone.

Depending on the course traffic, places do let golfers play alone. However if there are people playing or the course is busy, you will most likely get paired up. Skill level will come as you practice and stick with it, the most important aspect is having fun.

No matter who you are playing with, if you have a positive attitude and explain the situation should appreciate that. Those that don't, don't deserve the right to take up space on a course. The game should be about growing, not holding back.

Check out the Atlantic City Tour Van Event coming up soon. I can assure you that skill level does not matter there.

During the week you will be able to play alone for sure. I play by myself all the time

Don't be scared to group up with people, but it's worth telling them you are newer to the game. Nothing wrong with being a beginner and we were all there at some point. I think showing good etiquette and playing quickly goes a long way.

i almost always go as a single however i almost always get paired up as well. (which i don't mind)...in fact, sometimes you get to meet people and have experiences you wouldn't just by playing alone. case in point, this past sunday, i got paired up with a twosome. president of golf, fashion and tennis for IMG sports, and his +1, a previous golfer for UNLV and a Symmetra tour player of 2 years...

...they only played 9 holes and she was even playing from the second furthest tees back. yea. that good. lol

i almost always go as a single however i almost always get paired up as well. (which i don't mind)...in fact, sometimes you get to meet people and have experiences you wouldn't just by playing alone. case in point, this past sunday, i got paired up with a twosome. president of golf, fashion and tennis for IMG sports, and his +1, a previous golfer for UNLV and a Symmetra tour player of 2 years...

...they only played 9 holes and she was even playing from the second furthest tees back. yea. that good. lol

What course was that if you dont mind me asking?

I play alone usually, but that's because I play at a small private course in the middle of nowhere, and I usually play early in the morning or late in the afternoon. My course doesn't group people.

Playing alone is great because it lets you work out stuff on your own, but don't discount playing with others either. Golf is a social game, and playing with a few friends is the most enjoyable way.

Don't be intimidated. Play your game and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
I can tell you, if you get paired up, they wouldn't care how good/bad you are. Remember, we were all terrible at some point.

What course was that if you dont mind me asking?

we played Heron Glen, down near flemington. it was hard to concentrate...she was pretty damn cute too.

Don't be intimidated. Play your game and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
I can tell you, if you get paired up, they wouldn't care how good/bad you are. Remember, we were all terrible at some point.

If they do care and are giving you a hard time, just let them play through. Better to enjoy your time than have to deal with knuckleheads. People sometimes forget that they were a beginner once too.

we played Heron Glen, down near flemington. it was hard to concentrate...she was pretty damn cute too.

Sweet. Hopefully when I can actually play again maybe we can get a round in at Minebrook. (I know the course is garbage but at least its convenient..haha)

If they do care and are giving you a hard time, just let them play through. Better to enjoy your time than have to deal with knuckleheads. People sometimes forget that they were a beginner once too.

Facto Mundo

As others have said, a lot of the time during the week you can get out by yourself. On weekends, mid to late afternoons would be the best time to go out as a single.

I go alone if bro-in-law not available. I've had folk catch up to me and ask to join, but I always tell them I'm a novice and tell them they're welcome to play through if they'd rather. A couple have and a few have hung with me.

evening golf is awesome for singles, depending on the course..

Unless you drop an ace.. Pretty sure that would suck.

I'd take it! I don't care if anyone would be there to see it! It would be nice, but if people don't believe me, too bad!

As much as I enjoy the company of others on the course, I really relish my rounds by myself. I can work on different shots while playing, take my time if I want and just really concentrate on the game with out distraction. Plus there is always a chance you may get paired with someone new that could turn out to be pretty cool.

I play as a single a lot. 90% of my rounds are as a single. One course I play will pair me up, but the other two usually don't. If someone catches me or if I catch them, I will join if asked, but since I also walk most rounds, I rarely get caught or catch up. If paired up just be sure to have fun, play your game, and enjoy the time out there.

When I first got the bug I was one of the only ones of my group of friends that played. I went from never playing for the first 25 years of my life to playing 1-2 full rounds a week and sometimes 9 holes after work at least once. For a while about 80% of the time I was always paired with someone, but for the most part always found the other people to be pretty good playing partners , and even meet a few friends along the way. I can only think of two times that those I was paired with had a negative impact on my round.

I'd take it! I don't care if anyone would be there to see it! It would be nice, but if people don't believe me, too bad!

haha I hear that.. I just want to share the experience if it ever happens.

Early weekdays at the local course often mean playing alone, which I love.

Realistically, you should expect to get paired with others. Don't worry about what they think or how good you are. Here's my line - just because someone is bad does not mean they have to be slow. Honestly, I'd rather play with a bad golfer that is fast and has a good attitude than a real stick who is a slow player and has a terrible attitude. Have fun but play at an acceptable pace and all will be well.

I enjoy playing alone after work on a quick 9 but much rather prefer a group of buddies for a weekend 18

I mostly play by myself and honestly I love it. Its my "me" time.

I like playing with others. a lot easier to find my ball that way

Back