whats in the bag rory mcilroy

wull

Reaction score
Handicap
i was looking through rory mcilroys "whats in the bag" and was surprised he was still using the older titleist 906f2 3 wood.

i'm not saying surprised as in "it's not a good 3 wood" but surprised as in "it's 2 3 woods ago with the 909 and now the 910 3 wood being available".

is this normal practise for pro's to do?you'd think they'd be using all the latest releases as they are readily available to them....

is it a case of he hits it so well that there is no point in changing it,or even that he's tried the 909 and 910 3 wood but hits the 906 much better?

it makes me think that the 906 is a great 3 wood and would be worth while trying out as it's a good bit cheaper than the 909 and 910 3 wood.

Last edited:
It's pretty common with fairway woods.

And wedges, lots of old 588s on tour.

And wedges, lots of old 588s on tour.

Those were not older 588s really. The wedges you saw on tour many times were protos of the current line that just came out. Rather than remanufacture old, they did protos of new because the older wedges could not be played due to the groove rule.

It does seem that you see alot of older fairway woods in the tour guys bag.

I actually asked Brian Gay this exact question (why do pro's have such old 3 woods) when THP covered the PGA Show last year. He told me that when they find a fairway wood they are comfortable hitting off the deck, they are hesitant to change.

I saw in the recent issue of Golf Digest's WITB that the pro was using a Big Bertha Diablo 3w and thought that a bit odd. Not the new Diablo but the old BB model.

Can't remember the pro though.....maybe Steve Elkington??

i understand the comfort off the deck thing. I'm using a 13* Snake Eyes 3 wood i built probably while i was still in highschool and have no real desire to leave it. It has a x-flex Graffaloy Prolite elite shaft that was just a touch tip trimmed and it is a wonderful match for the head and my swing still to this date. I can work it, all the confidence in the world to hit off the deck, and it sounds great too.

If it is working why change it? If I were making my living playing golf I would be very reluctant to change any club I had confidence in unless it was worn out or broken.

The funny thing is that Titleist makes him use a 910 headcover on his older club.

I followed Tim Herron around for a WGC tournament in 2003. He was using Ping Eye 2s. I was hoping for a chance to ask him if those were originals or if Ping made them special for him more recently, but I didn't get to speak to him.

I only recently took my Great Big Bertha II Titanium 3 wood out of my bag, and replaced it with a 910. I might go back to the Callaway.

If it is working why change it? If I were making my living playing golf I would be very reluctant to change any club I had confidence in unless it was worn out or broken.
I remember watching an interview on the golf channel a while back and they brought up how there are some players on the tour who when they find something that they like they're very reluctant to change while others are quite a bit more willing

The funny thing is that Titleist makes him use a 910 headcover on his older club.

That is actually really common, especially on the Nationwide Tour. It isn't uncommon to see someone with a Cleveland bag, irons, and headcovers, pull out a Callaway driver and/or a Titleist 3-wood from underneath them. It really stuck out a lot this year with the new white drivers. Those are pretty hard to blend in and everyone knows who makes them.

i'm glad you said that because after watching his santander advert/commercial i seen the 910 headcover and got all confused haha!!that clears that one up though thanks!

This isnt something very common, most pros use more modern equipment. I guess it doesnt matter for no.2 in the world

That is actually really common, especially on the Nationwide Tour. It isn't uncommon to see someone with a Cleveland bag, irons, and headcovers, pull out a Callaway driver and/or a Titleist 3-wood from underneath them. It really stuck out a lot this year with the new white drivers. Those are pretty hard to blend in and everyone knows who makes them.

Luke Donald is sporting a JPX-800 headcover on his R11. Just noticed last night, I thought he was actually gaming the Mizuno driver until his caddy pulled the cover off.

If I'm hitting a 3/5 wood into a par 5, all I care about is confidence...can I put this thing in the vicinity of the green.

It's my safety net if the driver isn't working, so I'd rather stick with something I knew I could count on.

Does Phil still use the Big Bertha diablo?

I didn't want to start a new thread when this one would do so nicely.

I have been hearing increasing rumors on the internets that Rory is going to be a Nike staffer in the near future.

Same rumor came out last year from the same place. Whether its true or not, time will tell, but for 3 straight years, the same rumor has been out there.

I would think that would be a home run for Nike. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Same rumor came out last year from the same place. Whether its true or not, time will tell, but for 3 straight years, the same rumor has been out there.

Has it been that long? I rarely spend time there and I just happened to notice it. I think it would be a great acquisition for Nike and for Rory because Titleist is so *Yawn.

I didn't want to start a new thread when this one would do so nicely.

I have been hearing increasing rumors on the internets that Rory is going to be a Nike staffer in the near future.
With his play and marketability I'll bet he gets contacted by all kinds of brands.

Google Rory to Nike and look at the dates. Going back to 2010, it has been a rumor to happen "this year". Could it happen? Sure. Contracts match up time wise in certain ways, but for every internet forum rumor that is out there, about 1% of them are true unfortunately.

Back