How do you determine what tees to play?

I play the tips because distance isn't a problem for me and when I play a course I want it's full challenge. Even if that challenge is too much to handle and I shoot a 87-90 instead of low 80s.

I've played 2 or 3 courses with signs that tell you what tees to play based on your handicap.

Distance and slope. If a course is 6300 yards and 130 slope, I am playing some tees further up. The senior tees at a course here are 6,000 yards and 126 slope! The regular men's tees are 6,600 yards and 132 slope.

Makes sense Smalls... Problem with going by distance alone is A. A guy who hits it 250 maybe once a round, but slices, tops, hooks, etc most of his shots is going to remember that 250 drive and decide that is where he should be playing from. Maybe it said it and I didn't look real close, but it should say consistent distance IMO. B. How many guys way overestimate how far they hit it lol!

Sometimes playing back can make the course easier because it takes some hazards out of play. For a golfer like me who only hits 1/3 of greens anyway, not being able to reach the fairway bunker is better for my score than the temptation to go over it.

Great topic. My course is only 6,400 from the tips with a 127 slope. If I play from the white tees (1 up) it puts my drives past the fairway bunkers. If I play from the tips, it puts my drives even with the fairway bunkers. This makes me think that I should play from the tips, as it seems that I am then playing the course at the distances that it was designed for. Playing from the whites makes me think I'm getting away with something unfairly.

Moving Tee Game

Moving Tee Game

After yesterdays round myself and 3 friends were sitting in the clubhouse having lunch. We got to talking about the different handicaps in the group. Myself 14, Paul 22, Peter and Barry 28. A wide range of HC's indeed. I shot 90, Paul 90, Peter 115 and Barry 113. We all played off the middle tees.

So we came up with a little game for our next round - Moving Tees !!!

Everybody play off a HC of 18.
Everybody starts the first hole from the middle tees.
Winner on first hole goes to the back tees for the second hole.
Looser on the first hole goes to the front tees.

Lets say 2 players of the 4 ball score par and the other 2 score +1, then the 2 +1 players go to the front and the 2 par players play from the middle.
Same as 2 players of the 4 ball score -1 and the other 2 score par, then the 2 -1 players go to the back and the 2 par players play from the middle.

Obviously this wouldn't be smart if the course was busy but there was only 4 other groups on the course yesterday.

Has anyone ever thried something like this??? We thought it would be a bit of fun.

We play a game where pars move you back 1 deck, birdies send you all the way back, bogeys move you one up, and doubles or worse move you all the way up.

I havent done this before but have heard of variations of teh game, sounds like it would be fun to try

I think a small Florida get-together did this earlier this year.

i've heard of something like this but not this exact game. pretty fun idea. i'd like to try it next time i play with guys that aren't close to my handicap.

That sounds interesting! I've never thought about it that way. I think I'll try it next time. Thanks!

Our league calls it red, white and blue due to the tee box colors. Pretty much what most common golf courses go by too.

I play in a tournament every year that's a 2 man scramble with a ranked field. Top seed plays with the bottom and so on down the line to try to equal out the field. One thing we do is this, everyone starts on the middle tees and after a birdie they move back a tee and keep going back with each birdie until they're playing from the tips. After a bogey you move up a box, and again you keep moving up until get to the far forward tees. The idea is to even the playing field as much as we can. This year the winning score was -4 and last place was +3 with a field of 20 teams. So it definitely levels the playing field. It makes it pretty fun.

I love the idea, if the course isn't too busy I will have to give that a shot!

I've heard of variations of that game. I've never played it though. I would love to try.

When I was an assistant pro we used to play a game among the other assistants and head pro that was similar but we also added this to it:
Win a hole either you can move up a box or you can turn a club in everybody elses bag over (taking it out of play for them) or you could turn one of your own clubs back over to play status (put back into play), the only stipulation was you could not take a players putter out of play.

We play a game where pars move you back 1 deck, birdies send you all the way back, bogeys move you one up, and doubles or worse move you all the way up.

I have played this exact game before...it wasn't as bad on our home course we only have 4 sets of tees and we play blues....we changed to pars kept you in the same spot, birdies moved you back to the tips....bogey moved you up to the white and double or worse all the way to the ladies tees....it's pretty fun

that sounds pretty fun, and a good way to play when you have a couple people that play regularly and a couple that don't.

I like what I'm hearing. BTW - is there a thread for different games. We play a lot of wolf. Be great to change it up a bit.

This sounds like something I will have to try next time I'm out with all the buddies

Well we just taught it would be a fun way to change up a course that we play quite regularly

Well we just taught it would be a fun way to change up a course that we play quite regularly

That's really great, I kind of get bored sometimes at my home course since I play so much, I used to play on monday from the whites, tuesdays from the blues and wednesdays from the blacks. It made this game so interesting. But this may be something better to do

That's really great, I kind of get bored sometimes at my home course since I play so much, I used to play on monday from the whites, tuesdays from the blues and wednesdays from the blacks. It made this game so interesting. But this may be something better to do

I hear you lad, sometimes playing the same course over and over can get somewhat boring especially if pin positions aren't changed to often. Chances are the pins you play on Monday are still the same on Wednesday!!!

I hear you lad, sometimes playing the same course over and over can get somewhat boring especially if pin positions aren't changed to often. Chances are the pins you play on Monday are still the same on Wednesday!!!

yep, it's good practice since all the conditions (pin, tee box location, distances) are the same, but it surely gets boring after a while, your method would be so much fun to do with buddies

Back