Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I was able to get out this afternoon after work to hit some shots at the local course.

Overall Initial impression

The RTX CB is definitely a great looking wedge. I really like the black pearl finish and along with the milled face does not distract at address. I can really tell the difference with the overall weight distribution of the club compared to my previous RBZ 55* wedge. I felt more confidence with at address because I felt the extra weight would allow me to better get through the turf without as may mishits. Confidence is a great thing and this club was making me feel positive the entire time I was out there.

My practice today was around 40 shots. I started a couple of steps off the green and hit to the target in the middle of the green. I gave myself 10 shots and then moved a couple of more steps back, another 10 shots, repeat. My basic thought pattern at each station was to try put the first one out as a marker and hit the next 9 closer. In reality I was just looking for a nice cluster and to work at eliminating the outliers (chunks, skulls) that I have often ended up with in the past. I have not been a big wedge practice player in the past so I try to do something that gave me feedback and keep my mind on my goal. After reading some of the wedge practice threads this seemed like a good place to start for me.

Around the green, the wedge showed great versatility. I have had a hard time in the past trusting my higher lofted clubs. Today was different. After hitting a few shots all over the green trying to get the feel of the club I was really able to start putting shots where I wanted and they STOPPED! I actually had to adjust my power on shots because the ball was stopping in places I am not used to. As most others have said the spin produced from this club is a sight to see. Most times I need to play for the run out but now I was hitting shots that were checking up with minimal roll out. It will be an adjustment but I feel better hitting shots this way then shots that look nice only to run off the back side of the green. I did not get a great deal of backspin as others but I think the more confidence and course/practice range time I get with the club I will start to see the results others have described.

As I was going on I started working on getting the ball higher and letting it land and stop. The turf interaction was nice and I felt the extra weight allowed me to get through the shot. Many times I have had my previous wedges catch the turf with the leading edge causing the ball to come up short, but the addition weight in the shaft and club head made the shots easier to hit. The sound produced was a clear click when hit right, not overly loud but did make a note of it. As others have said there is some adjustment period with this club. Getting the ball in the right position did take some playing around with. Overall in my limited time I am extremely please with the initial interaction/results with the club. It is by no means a miracle cure but I hit my wedge better today then I did all summer. There were still some god awful shots, but that is more the Indian than the arrow and I hope with practice the Indian can match the skill the arrow has inside it.

I want to get out to the range or play 18 this week to see the wedge in action in different positions from 100 yards and in. I am really interested to see the club in action from the sand. I hope Cleveland can help out my bunker play and based upon my initial feel of the club I have high hopes.

Good stuff Fly!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Well, hello there...

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

So, my gorgeous looking comments earlier may be an understatement. I really do think the finish has improved since the last time I have a black pearl wedge from Cleveland. Also, the cavity truly is reminiscent of the CG14's I liked so much, this excites me. Going to AT LEAST make some range time happen today.

Nice Jman! This thread is making me ponder wedges...heavily.

Nice looking pics jman!

Jman, those pics are phenomenal!

I will have my RTX on the course tomorrow! Cant wait to put it to work!

Jman, those pics are phenomenal!

I will have my RTX on the course tomorrow! Cant wait to put it to work!

I'm going to try my damndest to at least get to the range today. I'm curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pics Jman, I am loving everything I am seeing and hearing about these wedges. No doubt they are amazing! Hope you make it out to the range so we can hear some more thoughts on them.

588 RTX initial testing
Heritage Bay Golf & CC
11/9/12
Low 70’s and breezy
Firm fast greens and 15-20 mph wind

Yesterday I was able to get out for my first run with the 56* RTX wedge. For some silly reason the range was closed so instead I spent about an hour on one of the practice greens hitting greenside shots. Since we have entered dry season down this way the greens have really began to firm up, with that comes faster speeds as well. The speed is easier to get used to but the increased firmness of the greens can really affect how you play certain shots.

The thing that really jumped at me initially was the lack of control I had around the green with the wedge. The contact was fine but the spin just wasn’t there for me, now I understand that I won’t generate tons of spin on short shots but I was seeing very little check on impact. Normally I’ll see a very grabby impact before the ball releases a little, yesterday that wasn’t the case. The ball would land and seemingly scoot away quickly, which made it very difficult to control distances. This was the case on a variety of shots, a low shot that you expect to grab and release or a higher ball that you would expect to settle after landing. Everything just took off, a very exasperating first practice session.

As far as the club interacted with the ground I did not see any troubles from any type of lie. I was able to find some thicker bermuda in a low area to hit a few shots from. The club got through the grass just fine, just like the wedges I’m used to. I also found a spot a very tightly mown area and hit a few shots from there, the club actually excelled here. From that type of lie I always play the play the ball down, meaning I hit it low and get it rolling asap instead of trying to elevate the ball, which for me brings the dreaded bladed wedge into play.

Out on the course I didn’t use the club much, which is both good and bad. I left my other wedges in the truck so any wedge shot I had to hit would be with the RTX, good theory but it didn’t pay off. My first shot on the course was an awkward distance shot to a back pin location. I had a bunker fronting the green and death was long, 87 yards from a fairway lie. The ball cleared the bunker but for some reason released about 15’ to there. I can’t explain the release which will become even more confusing later.

IMAG0391.jpg

On the next hole I came up short of the green after my shot from a fairway bunker came up about 5 yards short. The green was uphill going away from me so I got a little aggressive here and tried to carry the ball a little closer to the hole in an attempt to save par with a 1 putt. Yet again, no check. The ball hit and released uphill. At this point I’m entirely confused, I’m not a person who struggles with imparting spin around the greens but it wasn’t happening yesterday.

On #8 I bailed out of a PW and came up a little short and left of the green, the ball came to rest in some thicker Bermuda but was sitting up nicely. Perfect spot to play a high soft shot right? No. It’s not often that I hit shots perfect but that one was dead solid perfect, beautiful arcing lob right at the pin. Hits and releases 10-12’ to the back of the green…mass confusion sets in. I don’t know why the ball didn’t settle soon after impact; it should have at most rolled out 5’ since I landed it on the flat of the green. Even my playing partners couldn’t believe the release on that shot.

On the back 9 I hit more greens but I did have 3 more shots with the 56*, one of which was a shot to remember. Coming down #16 I yanked my drive left and had to layup short with a 7 wood. 67 yard to the pin which was in the middle, dunked it! Not sure what the ball did all I saw I was a bounce and it drop in the cup for a miracle birdie.

In closing I’m a little confused about this wedge, after playing the 588 for several months I’ve become very confident in my short game but yesterday I could not get the short stuff figured out with this wedge. I’ve not read much of the other reviews in this thread yet as I didn’t want to be predisposed, hopefully I’m the only one that struggled a bit so far.

Thanks guys. Canio as for the full shots, others have moved the ball back. I'm not gonna do that because it leaves me susceptible to thins and erratic face angles. I'm gonna just focus on getting my weight forward and narrowing my stance. That way none of my mechanics change.

Aha! The narrow stance for more control! I've done this with other clubs to get more control. It'll be interesting to read more of your adventures this way.

Hmmm that definitely is confusing. It will be interesting to see if that is what you continue to see. Is this a course you play regularly that you normally see better grab on the greens? I know around Indiana some greens will play completely different than some others. I don't get much check up at all on my home course but on another nearby course I can get it to stop pretty quick

Fixing to get my RTX on!

Fixing to get my RTX on!

Nice pictures Jman and look forward to your thoughts dude.

Some great pics and thoughts in here fellas, these wedges are stunning!!! First time I have seen in hand pics since I have been so busy lately.

Yesterday I took off of work early to go practice with the RTX for the first time. I went to a local course that has a decent short game area. They have an area where you can hit pitch shots up to about 50 yards, some bunker shots, and then a separate raised green for chip shots.

When I got to the course there were 3 guys on the chipping green so I moved over to the pitch and bunker area. I threw down 10 balls and went to work on hitting 40 yard pitches from the rough. First off the head feels heavier than some others I have gamed in the past. With the head weight the way it was I found it incredibly easy to get the ball up in the air. Whether the ball was sitting up, or nestled way down I thought the weight of the head made it easier to execute the shot needed.

Out of the bunker is where this club shined for me on day 1. I was slightly worried about this since I have gotten very comfortable hitting the 54 out of the bunker. The amount of bounce(14) on this wedge seemed like a great match for the sand I was in. I'll admit the first few swings did not yield the best or even very good shots, but after 5 or 6 swings I was producing more consistent results. Shots were flying out with plenty of spin which is always nice. Hard for me to tell if I was getting more spin from this wedge than my previous J40 wedge, but overall I would say the spin was really good here.

Decided to move over to the chipping green where after a few minutes the 3 elderly gentlemen asked me if I wanted to join them in there little chip/pitch contest. Each guy would hit 4 shots, nearest to the pin wins the point and picks the next shot. We did this for over an hour and it was great. Guys were picking shots that you had to hit high and land soft and other shots where you had to hit it lower and run it up to the hole. I thought this helped me test a large variety of shots. We shots off of a tightly cut fairway area and from the rough. Just like with the pitch shots I talked about earlier, I thought this wedge excelled when it came to hitting a high soft shot. I had 4 different balls for this so I could try and judge spin. Even my harder cover intech ball held pretty well when hitting a high shot, but you could see a diffence when hitting on a flatter trajectory. I struggled with hitting a low shot, it just wasn't working for me. So that is something to work on.

Each of these 3 guys tried this club out as well. 2 of them really liked it and the other guy thought it was nice but didnt like the weight. The comments on the appearance of it and the way it sets up were all very positive.

For just being a quick short game session I think I learned quite a bit a about this club. I learned that it was easy to hit out of the sand and versatile enough to be able to open the face comfortably. Looking forward to getting it on the course to see what I can do with it from 3/4 and full shots.

Good stuff dd!

Sounds like a heck of a fun time honestly on the chipping competition. I've got some similar thoughts to you after getting the 56 out today. I should get those down tomorrow, gonna let it rattle around in my head tonight and sink in.

Good stuff dd!

Sounds like a heck of a fun time honestly on the chipping competition. I've got some similar thoughts to you after getting the 56 out today. I should get those down tomorrow, gonna let it rattle around in my head tonight and sink in.

It was pretty fun. These guys were a blast and had some game. Made it much more interesting.

Great thoughts ddec. That sounds like a really fun time and a great way to evaluate and break in a new wedge. I can't wait to more.

I finally got some time with my 56* 588 RTX today too and came away impressed. I took a few before and after pictures too that I dont have ready so I'll probably post my thoughts tomorrow seeing its already late.

I finally got some time with my 56* 588 RTX today too and came away impressed. I took a few before and after pictures too that I dont have ready so I'll probably post my thoughts tomorrow seeing its already late.

Looking forward to your update. Like you, I am impressed early on and look forward to following along with everybody.

Looking forward to your update. Like you, I am impressed early on and look forward to following along with everybody.

Im impressed with just an hour or so of range time. While its not the softest wedge that left my mind real fast when I finally walked away from the green today because it was just really easy to make that wedge do what I wanted. I like that. Tomorrow is a top notch practice facility at a nice course so Im getting there early for some 588 RTX time before we play 18. Looking forward to it.

Well I guess I'm the only one struggling out of the gate. :banghead:

Well I guess I'm the only one struggling out of the gate. :banghead:

Is it the rounded leading edge SW? I know alot struggle with that on the Cleveland wedges. (sorry if I'm skimming)

I know I sit here thinking that for my swing, the rounded edge has always been kind to me. Today the similarities to the CG14 for me were scary.

I don't think so man, contact is fine and they feel good but I'm just not seeing any bite. It might have been the course itself but I didn't have any troubles stopping my iron shots, and I play a lower trajectory ball flight with those.

Looking back I should have kept my 58* in the bag but I wanted to go all in with the testing.

Back