Goals for the 2013 season

It'd be cool to go to a THP event ... not sure what kinda presence THP has in the Pacific Northwest, but even if we organized an informal one, that'd be cool.

I achieved a lot of my goals this year. What do I want to do next year?

• Break 80 a few times. I did it one time this year (in July) and want to see it at least a handful of times in 2013.
  • Get my handicap down to 14.0 or less. I got it down to 16.0 in July but couldn't keep it there.
  • Have zero three-digit rounds. I had a couple this year, as I seem to every year.
  • Play more. I played a LOT in 2012, so it will be tough to match, but as long as I play at every opportunity, that will suffice.
  • Have more rounds in the 80s than I do in the 90s.

That's a good start.

I only played 6 rounds this year in my first year of playing, so I have plenty of goals for next year.

Break 100 (career low is 100 and 48 twice on 9 holes)
Break 90
Get more consistent overall (and especially off the tee)
Start tracking # of Fairways, and get that number up to 50%
Get my GIRs up
Play 20+ rounds (tough with my schedule and the length of the season out here)

It'll be a busy year!

1. Average <80% GIR & FIR
2. Putting average >27 per round
3. Assist my team in winning the Morgan Cup.

War,
The improvements you have made in 12 months is simply incredible. Having played with you last year and then again this year it is night and day. Good luck on the journey.
Thanks, JB. I think I can get to where I want to be just have to keep at it.

Where did you start and what were the keys to getting to single digit?
This time last year I was about a 14 handicap. Around March I got my current set of irons and told myself that I was going to stick with them for 1 year and really work on my iron game in regards to consistency and accuracy. I put a strong focus on my game from 100 yards and in and really worked on my short game and put a strong emphasis on getting "up and down". Getting up and down alone is a big reason for the drop in scores. Working on my game from the tee was a big priority as well, but rather than focusing on getting more distance, I focused on staying in the fairway and limiting myself from having to take a penalty stroke or a drop because my slice went in to the woods. Finding a comfort level on the tee box and knowing that my second shot would be from the fairway really boosted my confidence over the ball.

I want to:

-eliminate blow up rounds of 90+
-shoot consistent 80's
-break 80
-get an eagle
-improve from the tee box (the key to meeting my other goals)

Get on the course for the first time, started playing in September and haven't left the driving range.

Break 100 within the first month.

Travel all over Europe and play at courses everywhere, then post pictures/reviews and such on here.

Enter some type of tournament at the local course.

Get my handicap in the low teens, if not better. I expect too much lol.

I start preparation for my 2013 golfing season this Tuesday. It starts with a series of lessons from my new course pro. My primary goal is simply to get back to my natural swing, which is a draw. This is my main and only focus for now. I'm not concerned about my handicap, as long as my shot shape returns to what feels natural for me.

Last edited:
Specific goals for 2013 are:
* improve scores to mid 80's, right now I'm stuck in an 88-92 range.
* improve putting consistancy, this year there always seemed to be 2-4 holes where 3 putts killed my score.
* improve the driver, this year sucked for the driver. Right now I am averaging 240 with my 3 wood, and 200 with the driver.

I like where your head is at Chunky.
big goals for this year as well...

1. Join the Country Club this year and utilize the range a lot. Practice and practice instead of just play golf
2. Short game practice. Something I just don't do and it shows. Get chips closer, have less putts.
3. Shoot even par for 18. I believe the closest I've been is +3
4. Win something. League, club, scramble, something. It's nice to have wins under your belt.
5. Win the Morgan Cup.

2013 Goals:

Break 90 (shot 91 twice in 2012)

Improve driving consistency (need to eliminate the late round slice)
Improve sand play
Increase percentage if short game up and downs

My overall goal for 2013 will be to get my index to single digits. That was my goal this year and I got it to 10.0, but then fell back a little when I started switching putters and lost my confidence.

1. Make most of the Morgan Cup experience
2. Continue to have multiple practice only sessions a week.
3. I'd like to become a single digit handicap

I'm going with the JB approach! Complete swing overhaul. After seeing my swing on a monitor slowed down I need a change. The lengthiness of my swing is also killing my shoulder so that right there is plenty reason to change.

I feel like I could just copy and paste my post from the 2012 goals thread because I made none of them. However, here they are in no particular order:

Become a single digit handicap.
Shoot a new personal best (currently 79).
Hit >60% of fairways and >50% of greens in regulation. I feel like I'm a terrible driver of the golf ball right now, my stats this year are about 45% FIR and 35% GIR.
Shoot under par for at least 9 holes (+2 is my best ever).
Win the Morgan Cup.
Play at least 50 rounds of golf.
Play more rounds with my dad in 2013 than I did in 2012.
Play more rounds with THPers in 2013 than I did in 2012.

My goals for 2013:

1) Drop my handicap to 13.

2) Lose 50 pounds.

3) Better manage our family's finances so we're not wasting so much money.

4) Put a Morgan Cup on my mantle.

My goals for 2013.

1) translate my work from the range to the course. I think it all starts here for me. I hit the ball much better I practice than on the course. Basically, this is a mental goal.
2) hit the ball consistently. I am in the middle of taking lessons so I believe I should be able to meet this goal.
3) break 90. I shot a 91 earlier this year so I should be able to hit this goal early in the year.
4) by mid-season, I want to be shooting in the 85 range.
5) eliminate all 3 putts
6) eliminate blow up holes, 3 or more over par
7) play 75 rounds (9 or 18)

2) Lose 50 pounds.

I don't know how big you are, but this is a great goal and possible. I lost 45 two years ago (and kept 35 of it off) and my brother lost 70 last year. It's just worth it ... Though depending on your size it may change your golf swing, and not for the better.

Nice thread Chunk! I would like to get down to an 8 or better and play a lil more

Its fun to look ahead and see what you have accomplished, and what you would like to strive for in the near future. Here's to everyone's 2013 being incredible!

My goals for the 2013 season are as follows:

1. Eliminate the odd mid-high 80's score.
2. Get the handicap down to the 6-7 range.
3. Hit the gym and work on my core explosiveness.
4. Shoot par on 9 (& keep it rolling for 18). <---- Setting the bar high on this one. So far my best 9 has been +1 twice.
5. Enjoy a proper driver fitting and reap the rewards of my new bomber.
6. Continue to progress and enjoy every moment at the golf course.

Failed goals from last year that stand:

Record my first eagle
(updated) be at a 12 handicap by July, single digit by season's end

Accomplished this year: break 80 multiple times New goal: break par (best this year was 1 over).
Average 32 putts, 7 GIRs, 7 FWs, <1 Pen. per round

Looking at this thread and reading everyone's goals has made me think more about mine. I am going to sit down in the next month and really look at my stats and my game as a whole so I can really think about what I want to accomplish and how I want to grow as a golfer for 2013. I plan on setting some pretty lofty, yet achievable, goals for myself and working hard to accomplish them.

There are a couple of things I am going to work hard on in 2013.

Consistency in my swings, taking it to the next level.
Confidence in the putting game, not questioning my lines or reads.

And again just focusing on having a great time on course. This is a hobby and it should be enjoyed!!

Well, I only had 1 goal in 2012 and that was to break 80. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened (83 today). Not disappointed though because my ball striking and tee game has improved dramatically. So my focus in 2013 is short game and putting. If I improve those, breaking 80 will be a breeze.

Good luck to everyone on their 2013 goals!

Well, I only had 1 goal in 2012 and that was to break 80. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened (83 today). Not disappointed though because my ball striking and tee game has improved dramatically. So my focus in 2013 is short game and putting. If I improve those, breaking 80 will be a breeze.

Good luck to everyone on their 2013 goals!

Short game is vital. It was how I finally broke 80.

Back