Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

Yeah, I'll have to lay hands on one to check it out...just knowing it is open plays head games with me. I don't remember now that I think about it, but the 2012 Razr Fit may be 1 deg open as well.

The guy I talked to at Callaway R&D said something interesting about the face angle thing. I don't have the exact quote with me right now, but it basically said that for many, the effect would be centered more on loft rather than directional ball flight.

I do say with 100% honesty that I had no clue about the face angle. Conversely, you could visually see when the AMP was opened up.

Hawk really great review bud.... i can't wait to hit this with the stock shaft options i think the black tie would fit really well with this. and the custimization for it is another great touch.

The addition of the Black Tie is pretty awesome for the guys that need it. On the flip-side, there's an X flex in the Trinity as well, which is a new thing.

I'm floored by the amount of information in this review. It sounds like fine tuning is a must with this club. Tinkering will be key to get the proper combination. I'm glad other color options will be made available and I hoping other shaft options as well.

Great job with this review Hawk!

I am reluctantly hopeful that the White Tie can be ordered at minimal upcharge.

I'm floored by the amount of information in this review. It sounds like fine tuning is a must with this club. Tinkering will be key to get the proper combination. I'm glad other color options will be made available and I hoping other shaft options as well.

Betcha we can get you tuned in on March 16th! Looking forward to hitting this personally and seeing some of our resident long knockers do some damage with this.

Thanks Freddie and all of you for the kind words!

I'll tell you right now that it really came alive for me when I closed the face. My launch went up, but I wasn't getting the face closed enough, so I moved the weight to the heel and it was like a different driver. I think having a Cally fitter help out would be best though. They'll have access to shafts, all the heads, and different weights I'm sure.

I am reluctantly hopeful that the White Tie can be ordered at minimal upcharge.

I hate to say it, but my guess looking at the RAZR Fit's Udesign website leads me to believe that won't happen. Never know though!

I have had the Razr Fit since last summer and I have never hit a driver better. One of these days I will need to hit this and see for myself what it can do for me.

I played around with Udesign the other day and found a couple color combos that I loved using the old RAZR Fit. It's a cool driver in that the bottom is so modern, but the crown is very traditional. At address you'd never know what is sitting on the sole.

Design options gives potential buyers the ability to build their bag with the personal touch. It's amazing how it works when something appeals to a players view, it seems to perform better. Kind of like when you just washed your car and the sucker flat out rides better :D

I played around with Udesign the other day and found a couple color combos that I loved using the old RAZR Fit. It's a cool driver in that the bottom is so modern, but the crown is very traditional. At address you'd never know what is sitting on the sole.
Yeah it's really unassuming and then bam you flip it over!

Thanks Hawk, that was great! Super excited that I can open the club face more now with the Xtreme. This is the driver I've been waiting for with Callaway and it sounds like the potential of this being a great driver is there. Can not wait to hit this thing with the right shaft combo.

Thanks, Natedoog. I have a feeling you all will realy enjoy it.

So far this is the first driver I have hit in over a year that has me contemplating pulling the Classic out of the bag.

So far this is the first driver I have hit in over a year that has me contemplating pulling the Classic out of the bag.

I could see that for sure. I'd really like to try it with another shaft for the heck of it. Numbers say that I probably don't need to, but still would like to experiment a bit.

I could see that for sure. I'd really like to try it with another shaft for the heck of it. Numbers say that I probably don't need to, but still would like to experiment a bit.

I did this very thing. I swapped out the standard for the B. Asha despite having great numbers on the Trinity. The numbers were a little better in terms of carry with the B.Asha, but this is the first driver in a while that right out of the gate gave me pretty optimal numbers.

I did this very thing. I swapped out the standard for the B. Asha despite having great numbers on the Trinity. The numbers were a little better in terms of carry with the B.Asha, but this is the first driver in a while that right out of the gate gave me pretty optimal numbers.

The only complaint I guess I could have with the shaft is I just didn't love the feel like I do some others. Similar numbers with that feel that I can't explain would really tie it all together for me.

Experimentation - that's part of the fun!

And that says a lot cause I've seen everything you've written about that driver!

The only complaint I guess I could have with the shaft is I just didn't love the feel like I do some others. Similar numbers with that feel that I can't explain would really tie it all together for me.
Hawk, isn't it true with stock shafts that they are usually designed and made for the particular driver they are paired with? I know there will be other shaft options but wouldn't one of these 2 be best suited for the Xtreme?

Hawk, isn't it true with stock shafts that they are usually designed and made for the particular driver they are paired with? I know there will be other shaft options but wouldn't one of these 2 be best suited for the Xtreme?

This is true Nate, however they are done based on the "norm" rather than any individual.

I wouldn't say that because it all comes down to the individual. I think the more accurate way to say it is that the stock shaft should appeal to a wider consumer base when it comes to off the rack purchases.

Shaft changes may affect balance if the weight is different, but the rest really comes down to launch conditions.

That said, it does appear that Callaway looked for a shaft that offered a little more stability in the Trinity. I think that's a good thing and should appeal to a broader group, especially since it's offered in the X flex.

This has me very intrigued. You love that classic and if this thing is as good or better I cannot wait

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I wouldn't say that because it all comes down to the individual. I think the more accurate way to say it is that the stock shaft should appeal to a wider consumer base when it comes to off the rack purchases.

Shaft changes may affect balance if the weight is different, but the rest really comes down to launch conditions.

That said, it does appear that Callaway looked for a shaft that offered a little more stability in the Trinity. I think that's a good thing and should appeal to a broader group, especially since it's offered in the X flex.
Perfect, I think that is a great thought. Duly noted guys. Thanks.

Perfect, I think that is a great thought. Duly noted guys. Thanks.

No problemo. Definitely don't sleep on the Trinity. I was very surprised with what I saw out of it. The perception is always that the stock shaft will underperform, but it didn't for me at all. Results will vary of course.

Thanks Freddie and all of you for the kind words!

I'll tell you right now that it really came alive for me when I closed the face. My launch went up, but I wasn't getting the face closed enough, so I moved the weight to the heel and it was like a different driver. I think having a Cally fitter help out would be best though. They'll have access to shafts, all the heads, and different weights I'm sure.

I hate to say it, but my guess looking at the RAZR Fit's Udesign website leads me to believe that won't happen. Never know though!

Yeah, I figured but a guy can dream! I am all over the place with what shaft is best for me anyway.

So you mentioned the drastic difference you saw in moving the weight. I have never played with a driver that you can move weights in it. Lately it has intrigued me a bit. So have smaller driver heads (but I hate white), as such this is begging to be hit.

Yeah, I figured but a guy can dream! I am all over the place with what shaft is best for me anyway.

So you mentioned the drastic difference you saw in moving the weight. I have never played with a driver that you can move weights in it. Lately it has intrigued me a bit. So have smaller driver heads (but I hate white), as such this is begging to be hit.

My experience seems to be that moving weights has more effect on directional ball flight than face angle does. As for smaller heads, this one is about as compact looking at address as I've seen in awhile. Maybe not like the original R9, but it certainly has a small footprint. Very appealing at address to my eye.

Back