Apparel Contracts on Professional Golfers

I am sure a lot more goes into it than just cash. With that said money is a huge factor. Even if I didn't need the cash it would be hard to turn down a company that thought I was worth more to them than a brand I may like better that isn't willing to make that financial commitment.

I would follow the money or whomever could offer me the best contract. I think I would also want to be with a company that could give me the best chance of advancing my career. Unless the company only offered a particularly heinous quality of clothing, what I was wearing wouldn't be a big deal to me as long it was comfortable and functional.

I wonder if this played into Bubba leaving.
He is a part owner...if I am not mistaken.

Maybe he didnt want to pay himself too much

probably tough negotiations hehe

If I could choose any apparel company, I would go with Nike. I love their styles and fit, not to mention they have everything for you; shoes, socks, cold gear, rain gear, hats, jackets.

It would depend greatly on my current income status on if I would change for more money. If I had been consistently making 4-5 million over the last few years and stayed in the top 10-20, I'd probably do what I wanted. If I was up and down and barely keeping my card year to year, it might be a different story. I've met a lot of guys on the lower level tours and many of them will take any dollar they can get.

I'll ask another question though, do we know if all the movement is because of the player or the company? Maybe Webb Simpson (just as an example) went to Polo and said I want X amount of dollars. Polo realizes they can't/won't pay that much so he goes elsewhere. Many times we see players make an equipment or apparel change, but how many times is it because their demands got bigger than the prior deal?

For me this is an easy one. I'm going to have to go with Under Armor. I love their clothing and feel it's worth what I pay for it so if they wanted to pay me to wear it I would in a heart beat.

This maybe surprising to some but I would probably go with Sligo. Puma and IJP Designs would be my second and third picks. Theres a small part of me that wants to be the big fish in a small pond. I also think i would look at some of the smaller upstart companies, SocialEra, TM, comes to mind. I feel like you would have a bigger voice and have some creative control over the products.

I think maybe one thing that gets forgot is the other sponsors. TM doesnt have the marketing presence that an Oakley has. So Bubba can come back his other sponsors and look for more money because he is prominent in global advertising. More ads, more eyes equals more sponsorship dollars from other sponsors

If that's the case, I see why he left.

I'd probably go Adidas or Nike if choosing an apparel company. But I would definitely go where the money was, clothing is not that huge of a deal for me.

I would go for the money, but with that said it would have to be a brand that I felt comfortable in anyway. Adidas, Polo, and maybe Nike. I couldn't go with a company like Puma. I like the clothes and they look really good, but not on me.

In choosing an apparel company...probably adidas/Ashworth, Puma, Sligo, Nike, Cross...I like quite a few apparel companies. And I'd probably go for the money rather than a choice of a "better" company (providing it isn't something as ridiculous as Loudmouth).

Oakley and no one else (maybe Nike as some of the tw line look ace)

For me this is an easy one. I'm going to have to go with Under Armor. I love their clothing and feel it's worth what I pay for it so if they wanted to pay me to wear it I would in a heart beat.

I'm right there with you buddy, I love all of my under armour golf gear, truly great stuff in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

i really love travis matthews. and i was surprised when Bubba left i thought he fit there line really well.... i guess for me personally it would depend how much money we are talking about and how much i liked the other brand. i mean if i'm getting paid a lot more to go to another brand that i still like then i think that would make the change easier.

I think I'd go with puma. Long before my MC journey began I simple loved their clothes. They look great and feel even better. I also like that they have set themselves apart with a lot of their shoe/apparel colors and patterns. I couldn't imagine having pick of the litter and getting to create outfits with all of their cool options.

With that said, if money was substantially higher with another company I'd have to give it a look and go with what makes the most sense and cents in the long term.

I'd try and get sponsored by Levis or Wrangler (so i could hang out with Brett Favre). Seriously, i like wearing jeans when i play golf. To be honest, i'd wear whatever if someone paid me to. I'd even throw on some white pants and flat brimmed, flourescent orange visor.

I'd go wherever the money was. There are no guarantees down the road so I'd try to make as much money as I could in the present. With all things being equal, my #1 choice would be Nike followed by TMaG/Ashworth.

I'll say this. If Loudmouth gave me a good number (money), I'd wear there stuff. As long as I had a say in what I wore.

Show me the money!!! I don't see how you don't follow the money because you get your clothes tailor fit to you regardless of who you are with. While they are at they would have to embroider on all the extra logos from anyone else that would sponsor me. I would be intrigued if given a stake in a smaller company and paid out of total sales if I thought I was going to move the needle enough to make a difference.

Adidas. They got it all to me

Plus I am an Adidas homer

I would go with the cash, there is no guarantee if golf.,...your game could go away (cough, David Duvall....Cough, Cough) or you could have a career ending injury. On the PGA tour they are independant contractors, so I say go where the money is...especially on something that doesn't affect your on course play like clothing.

Now clubs or balls might be a little different.

I asked a tour journalist about this on Twitter and this was her response, kind of puts it all in perspective. As "fun"as it is for us, it's a business for them.

edc471519fa6b8d682db65e81e5366aa.jpg

I'd try and get sponsored by Levis or Wrangler (so i could hang out with Brett Favre). Seriously, i like wearing jeans when i play golf.

I can see the villagers assembling with their torches and pitchforks.

Back