Votes: 39 65.0%
  • Occasional charity/corporate scrambles

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Not at all interested

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Never have but it sounds like fun

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
Animals - Duck (H2o), Gorilla (OB), Snake (3 putt) and Camel (sand). Usually heads up for a $1 per animal per nine.

KP - closest to the pin on par 3s and must two putt or better.

$ for anything better than par.

My favorite is called Hammer....Cash in hand cuz it exchanges after each hole
Hammer is game that you can press on everyshot if you wish. each press is given a dollar amount and it can get expensive. Sai I hit first and I end up in the woods, well the group can press. I lost that bet but if I make par or better on the hole I get that bet back plus any other "hammers that have been thrown. You literally can press on every shot.
We also play 5s. Pars are conceded you only win with birdie or better and each birdie is worth $5 and eagels are $10. Moves fast and teaches you how to pole hunt, can be played with large group.
Wolf is great
There is also a game I played a great deal in VA called "The Wheel' each player in the field is given a letter from A player to D player. A get no shots, A- get 1/2, B get 1, B- gets 1.5 on down to D. The object is the field is playing against the 'Wheel' two players that have been given a designationm typically two A players. The field picks other players to play against the wheel for a certain dollar amount ($5) per team. We used to play with 50 guys in the flield and it can be a very good day if the wheel ham and eggs it well for a -3 or -4 under per nine. But if they shoot over par is can be very bad. I've been on both sides of the wheel

Bingo, Bango, Bongo or simple low score per hole with carry overs. I'd rather have the cash than the alcohol, lol.

Skins and pay in beer

Umbriago. Can either be played as a two-some or foursome, but a lot more fun as a foursome.

Usually played as cart A vs cart B. Payout can be anywhere from 25 cents to a dollar a point, depending on how much you want to win or lose that day. You get a point for green in regulation (or closest to the pin if both teams do) a point for low man, and then a point for low total after both teams putt out. Birdies are also a point. If a team gets all four, you get 10 points.

Can also be handicapped if one player on a team is not very good, usually only a stroke a hole and only X per side. There's always the option to add or remove strokes at the turn if it starts to get ugly, but usually it's just straight up.

A very fun yet challenging game to play is Worst Ball. Usually scramble settings but instead of picking the best shot, you pick the worst. Could be worst lie, behind a tree, in a bunker or out of bounds. You get the point. But, this keeps everyone on their games and makes you concentrate on hitting a perfect shot every time

Tapa Slice

We usually play a Nassau in foursomes. For threesomes, I like to play '420'. Each hole is worth 6 points: 4 for the winner, 2 for second, 0 for third. Ties are split either 3,3,0 or 2,2,2. Can play for $X per point, totalled at end of round, or a flat fee for winner on front, back, and total.

i once came up with a hybrid game of Animals...but have never played it. it sounded fun on paper though...
anyway...

i enjoy playing Wolf. you need at least a 4 some.
first you choose a tee order (youngest to oldest, whatever) which stays the same throughout the round, just rotate every hole, first from previous hole would be last on the next.
the last person to tee off has the option to choose a partner, based on their tee shot, before the next person tees off.
you then play partners in a four-ball format or whatever you want.
the last person to tee off also has the option to "go alone" or "wolf". which would mean that they have to beat everyone else.
work out your own monetary values per hole and you're set.

We play a variation of the wolf game. The difference is that the person who "decides" is the first person to tee-off. Thus, they make the "wolf" call after only seeing their own drive. If they don't make the "wolf" call, then they MUST choose a partner. They decide whether to accept that person after each drive. Obviously, if they don't pick a partner prior to the last person, they are stuck with the last person. Each hole is worth points. 1 point for each partner if partnered. 2 points if lone wolf. Most points at end wins the $$$.

Wolf the way we play it uses a point system to reward risk and it combines aspects of both of the above:

Blind Wolf=3 points and is where you hit first and must call "wolf" before anyone else hits
Lone Wolf=2 points and is where you see everyone's shots and then call "wolf"
Partners=1 point

We also play 9 points a lot when we have 3 somes. Basically there are 9 points to divide up per hole amongst the 3 of you.

We play a lot of $5 Nassau and then we add ...Sandies (1$ for a sand save), Birdies ($1 for a bird), and pullies (making a putt of par or better that is longer than the length of the flagstick)

Do You Like A Little Action (Wager) When You Play

Do You Like A Little Action (Wager) When You Play

I Play about twice a month with a regular group and we always have a little action (Wager) when we play.

Since we are all fairly equal players it is usually a $5.00 straight up match,
or a 9 point game when there is only 3 of us with points being worth .25 cents a point,
or a $1.00 Front-Back-and Total with 2 Down Automatic Presses.
We have even played "Wolf" a few times.

When others play with us whos handicap is higher than the group we get them involved by playing "Animal Golf"
which consists of five Bag Tag type cards with one of the following on the card:
A Snake- for 3 putts
A Frog- for Water Hazard
A Camel- for Sand Traps
A Gorrilla- For Out of Bounds
And a Vulture- for Birdies
When a player incurs either one of the penalties (Snake-Frog-Camel-Gorrilla) or make a Birdie (gets the Vulture) card and they hold it until someone else incurs the penalty or makes a birdie. At the end of the round the player holding penalty cards pays all other players a pre-determine amont for each card they holding. Usually .50 cents or a dollar per card. And the player holding the Birdie (Vulture) card gets payed that same amount from all other players.

Not alot of money but enough to hold your interest and make you pay attention. The winner buys the First pitcher of beer so we are really all just paying for the beer as a group, so no one went away feeling like they lost a bundle.

I also used to play with a group prior to moving to Texas a number of years ago that had 18 pennies framed with a place for the Score Card and the frame had a small plaque on it that said "Big Winner".
We all had a spot at home where we would hang it for the week if we won it untill the following weeks round where it could change hands.

So what do the guys you play with usually play for?

Not really. I just like friendly competition.

If GHIN's are involved, I like to keep the money small so nobody loses more than $25. Doesn't feel right to take money from widely varied handicaps. If it's a straight up match, I don't mind the wagers getting larger. Nothing makes you focus like a putt for $100! I definitely shoot my lowest scores when money is on the line.

Played this today for the first time and had a lot of fun. It was 28 degrees when we started so a friend suggested we do this so we could all have some fun because we doubted we would shoot anywhere near our normal scores since it was so cold/nasty. All in all we had a blast and I could see playing this again under the right conditions (especially if playing with some high handicaps who want something on the line).

This works decent across handicaps from my experience, pretty fun game when you don't have established caps.

That's what I found. I won today and the guy who took second was 15 strokes higher.

you know I have never played this....need to try it one weekend.

According to Buckjob and VA Vince, im pretty good at this game

my dad will suggest playing this once in awhile.
it is a neat game that can definitely even the playing field out in terms of points.
and we add in a bonus point, if you take all three.

Group Games

Group Games

I believe there is a thread on this but i can't find anything. In March we're headed to Mesquite for a guys only golf trip. Every year we struggle to come up with a new game to play. We usually end up playing Lefty/Righty or Wolf. Anybody got some new games we should introduce? Looking for games for a foursome.

The trick to enjoying most games is to keep them simple, don't want or need a Cray super computer to calculate scores.

We play" Lefty-righty", in our foursome. All 4 tee off, two drives that land furthest to the left play against the 2 drives furthest to the right, even OB drives count. Team with the lowest one ball score wins a point for each member. Fun part is you will change members fairly often, design flaw is that sometimes the winner is decided by the 15th-16th hole.

I play the same "lefty righty" game but with an added "poley"

If a players ball is outside the length of the flagstick (thus the poley name) once they're on the green they have the chance to score a poley if they can sink their putt. The points increase by one with each putt made. So you could have four "poleys on each hole. If all four players made a poley on the first hole the last person to make their poley on that first hole would have scored 4 points (aka poley). So going to the second hole the first person to make a poley would get 5 points.

I try to get as close to the hole with every iron shot including chips so I won't intentionally shoot for outside the flagstick length (don't usually have to try with my swing) until the latter part of the round when I might need a poley to stay out of last and end up oweing everyone. Of course you can play for whatever prize you want.

Golf Games

Golf Games

I'd like some ideas on some games to play on our golf trip in March. We usually end up playing lefty/righty or wolf. We'll have a foursome and we're looking to change it up. We're all close in hdcp and want to play for score so no bingo, bango, bongo.

Back