2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do it!

The hardest thing I found about losing weight is after the initial shed you plateau for a week or so and that is hard to keep going. For me it was easy with immediate results.
I know. A few years back I dropped from about 340 lbs to 220 lbs. I stayed around 220 for the past 8 years, and over the past year slowly started gaining back up to 240.

I know. A few years back I dropped from about 340 lbs to 220 lbs. I stayed around 220 for the past 8 years, and over the past year slowly started gaining back up to 240.

I still really need to see these photos of you at 340. I just can't imagine it.

This is what I fear im going into this week after 2 crazy weeks of shedding lbs, but I have the motivation and some friends along the way with this thread to keep me heading down the right path

No fear dude! Just keep doing things the right way. The loss might slow but remember why and what you are doing. You will be fine.

I still really need to see these photos of you at 340. I just can't imagine it.
I think there are a few on facebook, actually.

No fear dude! Just keep doing things the right way. The loss might slow but remember why and what you are doing. You will be fine.

Pshhh, I want that mofo to gain some weight and stop making us look bad..haha Seriously though everyone is doing an amazing job. I am in a slump. Some personal stuff happened and it really has me in the dumps. Trying to get myself out of it. I woke up at 5:30am to work out and just couldnt get myself to do it. Going to try again tonight.

Pshhh, I want that mofo to gain some weight and stop making us look bad..haha Seriously though everyone is doing an amazing job. I am in a slump. Some personal stuff happened and it really has me in the dumps. Trying to get myself out of it. I woke up at 5:30am to work out and just couldnt get myself to do it. Going to try again tonight.

Keep at it bro. Just imagine how good you will feel after you work out tonight.

u got it man, power through all of that, and worse case pretend there is a punching bag in front of you and throw jabs while you are exercising

Keep at it bro. Just imagine how good you will feel after you work out tonight.

I know. I guess I am just a bit depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I have to snap out of it but it just feels like things keep getting worse.

I know. I guess I am just a bit depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I have to snap out of it but it just feels like things keep getting worse.

Dev,
This is why there are people here to help. I have been there, heck I was just a couple of weeks ago. Then I got brought back up to reality from people that care. People like you. Snap out of it and remember that you are amongst friends and we are all behind you.

The one thing you can control is what YOU do. Regardless whether it is working out, eating, what have you, you control it. I know that knowing that makes me feel better when things get tough. Head up dude!!

Dev,
This is why there are people here to help. I have been there, heck I was just a couple of weeks ago. Then I got brought back up to reality from people that care. People like you. Snap out of it and remember that you are amongst friends and we are all behind you.

Awesome post JB. Exactly my man!

Dev,

Thanks Josh. That means more than you know.

You have hit a rough spot, Dev. It's stress dude, I could hear it in your voice yesterday. Time to kick some ass and take some names, bro!

You have hit a rough spot, Dev. It's stress dude, I could hear it in your voice yesterday. Time to kick some ass and take some names, bro!

YESSSSS. When life hits you hard HIT IT BACK.

This is a classic example of how this family circles the wagons around for one another.... Freaking awesome

The one thing you can control is what YOU do. Regardless whether it is working out, eating, what have you, you control it. I know that knowing that makes me feel better when things get tough. Head up dude!!

Thanks WCBM. I know and am conscious of it. I just need to snap out of it. Not the place for it I guess but we received some good news about my grandmother's breast cancer. The surgeon said it was a very slow moving cancer and it can be shrunk with a pill over time and removed without issue. They sent her for a precautionary PET scan to make sure it didnt spread anywhere else but the doctor said it was highly unlikely. Found out last night that she has 2 spots on her lungs but the doctor isnt sure if its from the breast cancer or not. And completely separately from the breast cancer, she has a tumor in her colon as well and they are not as hopeful about that one. It's been a roller coaster of emotions. We went from worried to thinking we dodged a bullet to worried again. This woman has been like a second mother to me and helped raise me and my sister. I am just beside myself right now and it's all I think about. She has to have a colonoscopy done to see what is going on. The waiting is just killing me. My ulcers are acting up now and I don't even want to eat. I felt like someone punched me in the stomach last night when my sister sent me that message.

Thanks WCBM. I know and am conscious of it. I just need to snap out of it. Not the place for it I guess but we received some good news about my grandmother's breast cancer. The surgeon said it was a very slow moving cancer and it can be shrunk with a pill over time and removed without issue. They sent her for a precautionary PET scan to make sure it didnt spread anywhere else but the doctor said it was highly unlikely. Found out last night that she has 2 spots on her lungs but the doctor isnt sure if its from the breast cancer or not. And completely separately from the breast cancer, she has a tumor in her colon as well and they are not as hopeful about that one. It's been a roller coaster of emotions. We went from worried to thinking we dodged a bullet to worried again. This woman has been like a second mother to me and helped raise me and my sister. I am just beside myself right now and it's all I think about. She has to have a colonoscopy done to see what is going on. The waiting is just killing me. My ulcers are acting up now and I don't even want to eat. I felt like someone punched me in the stomach last night when my sister sent me that message.

Really sorry to hear this Dev. It's really hard to deal with things like that. Why bad things happen to good people and all. Just remember we are all here for you and you can talk to anyone of us at any time at all. I do know - going back to my other post- controling what I can control in times like this really does help. It reminds you that while somethings are out of our hands, others aren't. Praying for your family bud.

Today is legs day again. I think I'm really settling into a routine that I like. It's worked really well for my friend too.

Day 1 (Chest):
- dumbbell press (3x10)
- incline dumbbell press (3x10)
- shoulder press (3x10)
- dumbbell flys (3x10)
- push ups (failure)
- abs throughout

Day 2 (Biceps/Triceps):
- pull ups (3xfailure)
- rope pull down (3x10)
- seated curls (3x10)
- bar pull down (3x10)
- hammer curls (3x10)
- seated triceps extensions (3x10)
- pull ups (failure)

Day 3 (Rest):

Day 4 (Legs):
- Squats (3x5)
- lunges (3x16)
- leg press (3x5)
- calf raises (3x15)
- abs throughout
- sprints (down and back x 3)

Day 5 (Back/Shoulders):
- shoulder press (3x10)
- seated rows (3x10)
- shrugs (3x15)
- rows (3x10)
- lateral raises (3x10)
- wide grip pull ups (failure)
- up right rows (3x10)

Today is legs day again. I think I'm really settling into a routine that I like. It's worked really well for my friend too.

Day 1 (Chest):
- dumbbell press (3x10)
- shoulder press (3x10)
- dumbbell flys (3x10)
- push ups (failure)
- abs throughout

Day 2 (Biceps/Triceps):
- pull ups (3xfailure)
- rope pull down (3x10)
- seated curls (3x10)
- bar pull down (3x10)
- hammer curls (3x10)
- pull ups (failure)

Day 3 (Rest):

Day 4 (Legs):
- Squats (3x5)
- lunges (3x16)
- leg press (3x5)
- calf raises (3x15)
- abs throughout

Day 5 (Back/Shoulders):
- shoulder press (3x10)
- seated rows (3x10)
- shrugs (3x15)
- rows (3x10)
- lateral raises (3x10)
- up right rows (3x10)

I like your plan here Dam, I have done similar routines often. Having said that, I am not a big fan of that structure.

Dam,

This is the program I am doing right now. It is very effect and efficient. I have modified it a little. I am doing a complex lift or body weight exercises as a warmup. I am not doing any overhead presses and adding an ab work out at the end of each routine. Cardio at the end of each workout. Less cardio on leg days.

te4ezuva.jpg

Also, don't be afraid to eat. Especially protein.

That looks good Blu. I like where I am for now, though I mixed the order of the days up in the original post. I am still eating normally too. I think I may add in a run or something on Wednesday and Saturday. Something cardio.

Day 1 (Chest):
- dumbbell press (3x10)
- shoulder press (3x10)
- dumbbell flys (3x10)
- push ups (failure)
- abs throughout

Day 2 (Biceps/Triceps):
- pull ups (3xfailure)
- rope pull down (3x10)
- seated curls (3x10)
- bar pull down (3x10)
- hammer curls (3x10)
- pull ups (failure)

Day 3 (Rest):

Day 4 (Legs):
- Squats (3x5)
- lunges (3x16)
- leg press (3x5)
- calf raises (3x15)
- abs throughout

Day 5 (Back/Shoulders):
- shoulder press (3x10)
- seated rows (3x10)
- shrugs (3x15)
- rows (3x10)
- lateral raises (3x10)
- up right rows (3x10)

Nice my man! I really fell in love with lifting in college. Partly because I needed to get bigger for baseball, but partly because I finally felt I had the time to dedicate myself to it. Keep it up dude!

So far in my quest over the last 10 days I have done a major about face on my diet. I know what I ate to get fat and am cutting it out. Major cutback on Diet coke, still drinking some just not as much. Drinking water, this is helping a lot. Not really trying to follow any particular diet just going for lean protiens and lots of vegetables, cutting way back on starches and breads. Havent been able to workout much, but trying to make time to get it in. weight loss over the past 10 days is about 8 lbs so far.

Sounds like you threw you body out of its natural balance and you need to readjust your amounts.

This is a possibility. The 4 hour body mentions this, that people who consume milk and milk products regularly can retain water or be slightly lactose intolerant

So, I have completed my experimentation with respect to the "starving child belly" effect. I also spoke with a relative who is nearly finished with her postgraduate work in Dietetics. We spoke at length about my nutrition, which was fairly easy because I track most of what I eat. Seems that the sudden increase in skim milk, cottage cheese, whey protein (with milk as an ingredient) and a protein bar with sugar alcohols all combined to cause the issue. She does not believe that I am "lactose intolerant", but that I likely will experience lactose-sensitivity at that level of consumption. The sugar alcohols exasperated the issue.

My experiment of pretty much cutting all of that out (other than the protein bar) was successful. It took a couple days but the starving child belly dissapeared. Upon her suggestion, I am going to slowly work some of those things back in my diet until I reach the breaking point... so that i know where that point is. Then, I can always be sure to keep it under that amount. I have been loving almond milk, so I will probably stick with that, but I want to work in cottage cheese again. So I will probably do that after a couple days of only the whey protein.

So, I have completed my experimentation with respect to the "starving child belly" effect. I also spoke with a relative who is nearly finished with her postgraduate work in Dietetics. We spoke at length about my nutrition, which was fairly easy because I track most of what I eat. Seems that the sudden increase in skim milk, cottage cheese, whey protein (with milk as an ingredient) and a protein bar with sugar alcohols all combined to cause the issue. She does not believe that I am "lactose intolerant", but that I likely will experience lactose-sensitivity at that level of consumption. The sugar alcohols exasperated the issue.

My experiment of pretty much cutting all of that out (other than the protein bar) was successful. It took a couple days but the starving child belly dissapeared. Upon her suggestion, I am going to slowly work some of those things back in my diet until I reach the breaking point... so that i know where that point is. Then, I can always be sure to keep it under that amount. I have been loving almond milk, so I will probably stick with that, but I want to work in cottage cheese again. So I will probably do that after a couple days of only the whey protein.

Thanks for posting what you found. That makes sense and is solid info for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back