Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

The average on the PGA tour is I believe -1.5 azimuth. On the LPGA I believe they do average slightly positive. So negative isn't necessarily bad but you need to play the right shaft/head combo to make it work.
Yep, PGA is lower, but you're also talking players with 115-120 swing speeds and ballspeeds from 170-180. They want lower launch and less backspin.

J4U numbers, which are similar to mine, will benefit greatly from a positive azimuth.

I have said it for a while, Nike needs to get this club in both Rory's and Tiger's bag. They really do. I do believe that if they haven't gotten it in Tigers bag by now, it isn't getting in.

I agree with this. I'm really surprised they haven't at least painted Tiger's driver red with a big swoosh on top to try and fool the masses.

Yep, PGA is lower, but you're also talking players with 115-120 swing speeds and ballspeeds from 170-180. They want lower launch and less backspin.

J4U numbers, which are similar to mine, will benefit greatly from a positive azimuth.

Totally makes sense now, thank you. I have the ball back in my stance closer to the middle than the front foot, so that could have something to do with it! Sorry to get this thread off track a bit.

Well, muted compared to previous Nike drivers. More of a thwack then a ping. I liked the sound.
Is that good or bad. Nike driver are typically loud. I'm gonna have to head to dicks and hit it

Is that good or bad. Nike driver are typically loud. I'm gonna have to head to dicks and hit it
I never found Nike drivers to be loud, aside from the Sumo/SQ line. My many VR drivers were great.

All of these early reviews have me craving this driver more and more.

All of these early reviews have me craving this driver more and more.
I'm in the same boat. Can't wait to make a trip to GG and hit it.

I'm hoping Jman can swipe one at the PGA show for me hehe
Here's to hoping Jman is reliable. Send it my way after you sample it.

I plan on dropping bombs with one of these two models at the Ohio Invitational in April, assuming it beats out the Cleveland, 913, and R1.

Totally makes sense now, thank you. I have the ball back in my stance closer to the middle than the front foot, so that could have something to do with it! Sorry to get this thread off track a bit.
Hope you didn't think I was out of line. All your numbers on the monitor were great. I'm getting pretty stoked to try out the club myself. Just not sure when a demo club will hit local shops out here.

I'm not going to lie here; I was kind of expecting to see Rory drive it straighter and farther that Tiger and Kaymer in round one last night but the couple of times that they all hit solid drives in the FW he was behind or just near them.

That's not going to steer my judgement based on this and I still want to hit this thing as bad as I did yesterday, I was just disappointed.

I'm not going to lie here; I was kind of expecting to see Rory drive it straighter and farther that Tiger and Kaymer in round one last night but the couple of times that they all hit solid drives in the FW he was behind or just near them.

That's not going to steer my judgement based on this and I still want to hit this thing as bad as I did yesterday, I was just disappointed.

I was disappointed too, but seeing how poorly he played all day, it doesn't worry me. Now the fact Tiger's not playing it does.

Can't worry about how Rory (or anyone) is swinging with the driver, gotta see how it performs for yourself boys.

That said, yeah, I was a little bummed last night. I wanted to see him piping the driver past Marty and Tig just to add to my excitement a little. Maybe tonight?

Can't worry about how Rory (or anyone) is swinging with the driver, gotta see how it performs for yourself boys.

That said, yeah, I was a little bummed last night. I wanted to see him piping the driver past Marty and Tig just to add to my excitement a little. Maybe tonight?
It IS still early in the year. He probably hasn't quite hit his stride yet, especially with it being all new. He's probably a little reserved with that club.

For what it's worth. Rory wasn't hitting anything well yesterday.

To be fair also, it's tough to drive it past Tiger when he hits it well. Tiger hits is a looooooong way. Though Rory didn't really play well with any club yesterday.

For what it's worth. Rory wasn't hitting anything well yesterday.

:) On the curious note, on the Nike website, when you click on the Covert and at the bottom where it say "Athletes who use this", it has Tiger there, so wondering if he has plans to switch or if they're just being hopeful. On an annoying note, I think I might abstain from purchase purely b/c it's more here in Canada, despite our money being at (or 2 cents above last I checked) par. Sorry, off track pet peeve (though will make me wait for sale or demo sale, and spend my money on more rounds, and balls not overpriced).

Hope you didn't think I was out of line. All your numbers on the monitor were great. I'm getting pretty stoked to try out the club myself. Just not sure when a demo club will hit local shops out here.

Heck no man, soak in any and all information. Besides I've seen you play in Iowa and we were the only ones in Yellow/Black...ha! I would take input from you any day and thanks for clarifying the question.

You for sure need to take a swing with these bad boys! Not sure they are for me with waiting on another release, but I'm thinking Nike did something top notch with these! Get these in the right shaft and they could be something to fear for sure in the right hands.

J -

I said before that this driver felt to me like it was the first club that could actively help and make amateurs better. Did you get that same impression?

J -

I said before that this driver felt to me like it was the first club that could actively help and make amateurs better. Did you get that same impression?

I'm in somewhat of the same mind set, but not sure if I would jump out and say it would make someone better. I think what I"m reading is that it has a lot of tech in there that would compensate better than a lot out there at the moment, and to this I totally agree.

I'm in somewhat of the same mind set, but not sure if I would jump out and say it would make someone better. I think what I"m reading is that it has a lot of tech in there that would compensate better than a lot out there at the moment, and to this I totally agree.

By no means am I saying "just throw the club at the ball and everything will be golden." I'm think that this may be driver technology that seems to do everything it claims to.

By no means am I saying "just throw the club at the ball and everything will be golden." I'm think that this may be driver technology that seems to do everything it claims to.

Ya, that's what I meant in saying "I'm reading" in agreeing with you.

Ya, that's what I meant in saying "I'm reading" in agreeing with you.

We're in the same page brother. I just wanted to further clarify myself.

Back