Athletes & PEDs - A Question

I don't have to worry about this because no Wisconsin athlete, much less a superstar MVP winner would ever be tied to performance enhancing drugs....

Wait...DAMMIT!

Deer antler spray is on the banned list.

FWIW, it's pointless to have stuff on the banned list when they can't test for it, such as HGH and IGF-1.

Well, it looks like Vijay used.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone back before they even tested used. I know it's a stretch, but why not Tiger? He used to be a stick and then he got massive. Quick. I think we can all agree Barry Bonds was the same way and no one says he didn't use.

For me, it depends on the player. If it comes out that Albert Pujols was on the roids, then no I wouldnt really be surprised. If a guy like Derek Jeter was found to have been using PED's I would definitely be surprised. I guess I take it on a case by case basis.

This is how it is for me. Completely dependent on the player.

would it surprise me? no it wouldn't. based on the fact that so many more come out each day and you then start to realize that it's more and more common to do so.

the way i feel about it (if anyone cares) is advantage/disadvantage based on the legality of it.
if it's illegal and you gain an advantage over others by taking it, then yes...i have issues with that because you've then broken a rule of the sport and damaged the integrity of said sport, as well as your own.
if it's legal and you gain an advantage, then everyone else has the opportunity to do so but just may choose not to. i'm mean, eating breakfast every day will give you a serious advantage over someone who doesn't eat breakfast...

Wouldn't a pre-round dose of Advil to avoid stiffness and aches be considered a PED? I think that in some cases with certain drugs and certain sports, this is just a ridiculous witch hunt.

Doesn't surprise me at all. People will do anything for money.

One thing that has me wondering over the past few years is Mr. Woods. He has been linked to the same doctors and suppliers as Barry Bonds and company.

Take an already amazing athlete and give him an unfair advantage in mental focus, fatigue, recovery time, and ability to practice and who knows what you would get.

It won't surprise me if this continues for years to come. This is something I think more athletes are going to to he an edge. I don't know if you'll see it slow down because its so front page but it will continue. When it comes to golf I don't think you find it as much. You might see a player using something to recover faster from an injury but the tour is so tight on what they can take. When I worked the US Open we weren't allowed to give them any medication(Tylenol) without approval from the USGA.

For me, it depends on the player. If it comes out that Albert Pujols was on the roids, then no I wouldnt really be surprised. If a guy like Derek Jeter was found to have been using PED's I would definitely be surprised. I guess I take it on a case by case basis.
Why does a guy like AP get the finger of suspicion and DJ doesn't? You don't have to be big and bulky to have taken PED. Lance is a lean dude and he was taking them. Everyone has to be under suspicion at this point.

What are PED's?

:alien:

Anytime a question like this is posed I go back to my life motto and ask myself, "What would Babe Laufenberg do?"

In any sport, you tell me a guy was using PEDs and I'll believe it. I've been jaded to the whole thing. I was a big baseball fan growing up, and basically every great player has been linked to steroids. Now Lance Armstrong, and football players too. It just doesn't surprise me anymore

Why does a guy like AP get the finger of suspicion and DJ doesn't? You don't have to be big and bulky to have taken PED. Lance is a lean dude and he was taking them. Everyone has to be under suspicion at this point.

In the minors he hit 19 HR's in 133 games. The very next year he hits 37 in his rookie year? Any power hitter these days would not surprise me. I am not saying that AP took steroids, simply that if it is found out that he did, I wouldnt be surprised. Jeter would surprise me because he isnt that type of player. I understand what you are saying about Lance Armstrong.

In the minors he hit 19 HR's in 133 games. The very next year he hits 37 in his rookie year? Any power hitter these days would not surprise me. I am not saying that AP took steroids, simply that if it is found out that he did, I wouldnt be surprised. Jeter would surprise me because he isnt that type of player. I understand what you are saying about Lance Armstrong.
I don't understand the statement, 'he's not that type do player'. Why? What if he has been on the juice since he was a rookie? What about Cal Ripkin, he retired much bigger then when he entered the league. Could he have been using? No one would dare question it, right?

I don't understand the statement, 'he's not that type do player'. Why? What if he has been on the juice since he was a rookie? What about Cal Ripkin, he retired much bigger then when he entered the league. Could he have been using? No one would dare question it, right?

No problem questioning it at all. I only used AP as an example. There are alot of people that wouldnt surprise me. At least in my head, HR's = PED's only because of what we have seen in the past. Any player that is not a power hitter would surprise me. I guess I should have kept it more general and not used specific people.

I was more a PDD (Performance Destroying Drug) guy back in the day. More fun that way.

If it's illegal, then test and punish. When the money and acclaim is on the line, "immoral" or "unfair" or "not nice" isn't going to stop a soul.
At the highest levels of any sport, somebody's doping. Might be the fringe guys trying to hang on. Doesn't have to be the superstars.

No problem questioning it at all. I only used AP as an example. There are alot of people that wouldnt surprise me. At least in my head, HR's = PED's only because of what we have seen in the past. Any player that is not a power hitter would surprise me. I guess I should have kept it more general and not used specific people.
I see, it's the power portion and the past history we have seen. I agree..

I see, it's the power portion and the past history we have seen. I agree..

In addition, it doesnt have to be star players. Fringe players trying to hang in the majors wouldnt surprise me either.

Hardly anyone would surprise me. And honestly, I can't blame the guys for using it, especially if they can get away with it. Hell, the popularity of baseball was seriously waning until the home run summer of Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa, so the MLB should be thanking them. (Kinda saying this tongue-in-cheek, btw). And, while we can all say how terrible it is, we continue to watch them, spend money, and grow the sports. So no, not surprised by any PED users, but I also am not in the right to complain all that much, because I keep watching the sports regardless.

I'm really not surprised by anyone who supposedly or did use PEDs now. It wouldn't even surprise me if it came out Tiger has been on them for years.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone back before they even tested used. I know it's a stretch, but why not Tiger? He used to be a stick and then he got massive. Quick. I think we can all agree Barry Bonds was the same way and no one says he didn't use.

Measure Tiger's hat size over a few year period. Bonds' head grew like two sizes, didn't it?

Do you really think Tiger is massive? He is more muscular than most golfers on Tour. But he is hardly massize. He looks like a guy who works out. Nothing more to me.

Doesn't mean he hasn't used PEDs. I just don't think he is THAT big.

I remember when Jose Canseco said 75% of players used and was blasted for it. I think he was right. I'd suspect the numbers are still that high in MLB, probably higher in NFL and i'd suspect the percentage on the PGA is higher than one would imagine. With the money that's involved, I'd probably be using anything that could give me an advantage.

I wouldn't be shocked in the least and almost expect it.

Not at all, for any reason. We live in a bigger, faster, stronger, by any means necessary, culture. And as long as we keep rewarding performance and entertainment with millions of dollars, the only thing that will change is the substances that people take in order to beat the tests.

Any athlete in any sport has worked to be the best and to be a "pro" at all costs, these values where in place when they are small children and missing birthday party's / proms.whatever, so they could practice and get better. There going to do whatever it takes to be at the top. No matter what it is. This was touched on in the Lance Armstrong thread as well.

Back