TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Ddec: believe they are scuffs in the plastic covering material of the sole plate. Can take a close up this evening.

thanks buddy. That question probably got lost in the shuffle. I didn't notice them much on the first picture of the sole, but more so in that picture.

Cookie before you tune the weight to the draw setting close the face 1 or 2 degrees

So you want to see what the shot results are just based on a loft change or sole plate change? And then how that compares to the weight changes?

Want to make sure I answer your question adequately.

ETA: looks like face angle at 2* closed with the sole plate *should* give the same result per the app as swapping the weights so I will compare them. Cool?

No problem Dean, sure I missed it with everything going on here the last few days! Sorry about that.

So you want to see what the shot results are just based on a loft change or sole plate change? And then how that compares to the weight changes?

ETA: looks like face angle at 2* closed with the sole plate *should* give the same result per the app as swapping the weights so I will compare them. Cool?

No problem Dean, sure I missed it with everything going on here the last few days! Sorry about that.

Yes, with your 10* loft just close the face (sole plate compass thing lol) 1-2 degrees. Interested to see if this will result in you pulling or have the same result of switching the weights. Thanks cookie!

Yup - the numbers don't lie. It was extremely hard not to walk out with it last night. The only thing that kept from doing so was the paint job. I'm hoping that my eyes become like you folks' and the graphics will just fade away.

I had it set to 9.5. Plate set to N, Stiff shaft.

I'm going back tonight to hit it again.

Cookie, what is your natural shot shape? A fade?

I'm interested because WE and I both seem to naturally hit a fade. I tried to promote a draw with a weight change, I think I had it on 10.5* loft and face open 1* to offset the slight closing. It was a no go for me and I attribute the pulls and hooks to the weight setup. Not saying that's what will go down for you, but I'm interested to see.

Funny you ask because I honestly see a little bit of everything. Used to be a big slicer but now I see a pretty straight ball flight most of the time. Depending on the day, I may see pulls or pushes but generally speaking it is either straight or a very slight draw.

I've really been enjoying keeping up with this thread. Thanks for the solid work everybody. My last three drivers have been Taylormade's and I've really enjoyed their performance and it sounds like we've got another winner here.

Cookie, what is your natural shot shape? A fade?

I'm interested because WE and I both seem to naturally hit a fade. I tried to promote a draw with a weight change, I think I had it on 10.5* loft and face open 1* to offset the slight closing. It was a no go for me and I attribute the pulls and hooks to the weight setup. Not saying that's what will go down for you, but I'm interested to see.

My natural ball flight is a draw. With manipulation of the weights, and sole plate I was able to see a fade with normal swings.

So, just spent my lunch at the golf store hitting this again. Grabbed one, hit the bay and started whacking away. Pretty consistent 285-290. I was a little bummed that I wasn't getting that magical 300+ number like I did last time. So, I thought with these numbers, I'll just stay with my 910. Went to put the driver back and saw another R1 but it had a different "S" (Stiff) sticker on it. After close inspection, I realized it was the TP version. So, I grabbed the TP and went back to the bay and starting hitting that one. Lo and behold, there was that magic 300+ number. 314, 313, 318, 309... one right after another. All in the shaft change... who knew!? Well, one thing is for sure, there ain't no way I'm spending $500 for a driver. That's just not going to happen. If I can sell my 910, that would offset it a little, but $500 is way too much.

I'm bummed.... I like see that "3" number.... :)

So, just spent my lunch at the golf store hitting this again. Grabbed one, hit the bay and started whacking away. Pretty consistent 285-290. I was a little bummed that I wasn't getting that magical 300+ number like I did last time. So, I thought with these numbers, I'll just stay with my 910. Went to put the driver back and saw another R1 but it had a different "S" (Stiff) sticker on it. After close inspection, I realized it was the TP version. So, I grabbed the TP and went back to the bay and starting hitting that one. Lo and behold, there was that magic 300+ number. 314, 313, 318, 309... one right after another. All in the shaft change... who knew!? Well, one thing is for sure, there ain't no way I'm spending $500 for a driver. That's just not going to happen. If I can sell my 910, that would offset it a little, but $500 is way too much.

I'm bummed.... I like see that "3" number.... :)

You have more will power than I do.

Great job with the reviews guys. Fun to follow.

Me too dude, the Supertri was in my bag for a loong time.
Hi WE.....how would you compare the R1 to the SuperTri? I have the SuperTri now(thanks to you) and I'm looking at the R1 to replace it.

Hi WE.....how would you compare the R1 to the SuperTri? I have the SuperTri now(thanks to you) and I'm looking at the R1 to replace it.
The R1, to me, is not hear as high spin as the SuperTri. However, compared to the R11 and R11S, I would say that the R1 is closer to the SuperTri in terms of performance FOR ME, than the R11 lines. A bit more spin than the past few drivers, it seems, and I see similar results out of it as I did the SuperTri.

I would venture to say that if you are having success with the SuperTri, then the R1 would be something you should check out for sure.

The R1, to me, is not hear as high spin as the SuperTri. However, compared to the R11 and R11S, I would say that the R1 is closer to the SuperTri in terms of performance FOR ME, than the R11 lines. A bit more spin than the past few drivers, it seems, and I see similar results out of it as I did the SuperTri.

I would venture to say that if you are having success with the SuperTri, then the R1 would be something you should check out for sure.

Thanks for the input.......I guess the launch monitor will decide this battle in a few weeks. Keep up the great review work......very informative from all testers points of view!

Hope you don't mind me interjecting on this, but I was out on the range this afternoon and hit my 9.5 deg SuperTri against the R1. It had been a while since I had hit the SuperTri, and honestly, I like it better from a looks perspective as well as the sound it makes (forgotten how satisfying it is), but from a performance perspective, the distance and forgiveness were better with the R1.

Going a touch further on WE's comment on spin, the R1 in a 10.5 setting was launching the ball lower than the SuperTri was in a 9.5 setting (granted different shafts).

Not a tester but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.........small update, setting for me has found at 12* loft 2* open......probably effective loft of 10.8*.......great launch; high but flat.....I've now added a pair of 6g slugs to balance to the club IMO more.....I have a tendency to release with body and not hands fearing the hook and this slight weight movement gives a perfect 3 yd draw......more to follow and to the testers, keep up the great work!!!

Hope you don't mind me interjecting on this, but I was out on the range this afternoon and hit my 9.5 deg SuperTri against the R1. It had been a while since I had hit the SuperTri, and honestly, I like it better from a looks perspective as well as the sound it makes (forgotten how satisfying it is), but from a performance perspective, the distance and forgiveness were better with the R1.

Going a touch further on WE's comment on spin, the R1 in a 10.5 setting was launching the ball lower than the SuperTri was in a 9.5 setting (granted different shafts).

I like hearing that. I still have my supertri though I need to off it. It does sound like the R1 has been a step up in a few areas.

Driving Range - 2/6/2013

Disclaimer - The range balls have gotten pretty rough, and are being replaced later in the spring. They are so bad that it is really not fair to compare distance other than hitting balls in the same session with different drivers.

Ok, even though the kids are sick, and I probably risked divorce to go hit a small bucket after work, I put 75% of my assets at risk in the name of getting a testing session in before rains come back in the next two days. Wanting to try something a bit different, I found myself on the mats with the R1 today, in part so that I could look into the effects of changing the Face Angle Sole Plate.

When last I left the R1, I had been finding some amount of success launch height-wise with a 10.5 deg setting, and a decent fade/slice mitigation by using the heavier weight in the heel port. With that being my starting point for session #2, I hit probably 10-15 balls in that setting before playing around with some settings and hitting the remainder of the bucket. For the sake of not making you read through a bunch of randomness, I'm going to offer somepost-session thoughts/observations.

• Face Angle Sole Plate
    • Changing the setting with the Face Angle Sole Plate while maintaining the loft in the same setting does change the way the club looks when you have it setting on the ground, given that the ground is flat enough for the club and sole-plate to lie down. I really wasn't able to see this on the grass in the last session, but on a non-textured mat, I could see it. From a performance standpoint, I really didn't see any difference in shot direction due to the Face Angle Sole Plate setting. If you are someone like me who does have a preference about what you SEE face angle wise, this further allows one club to be suitable for many folks.
    • For some reason, in the 10.5 setting (which should be just a touch closed), the face still looked a touch open to me when set down. For this reason, I may gravitate toward setting the Sole Plate at Closed 1 or Closed 2 to give me a look I prefer.
  • From a looks standpoint, the white with graphics doesn't bother me at all. Now I would still prefer a nice matte or glossy black with a small alignment aid, but I think that is as much seeing that look for over a decade.
  • Performance
    • Honestly, my swing was pretty bad today, so I was hitting balls in all corners of the face of the driver.
    • With that in mind, this is a club that gives you a different feeling depending on where the impact occurs. You definitely know it when you are not in the general sweet spot area. It is going to be a personal preference whether this is something that appeals to the user, and normally, it is not something I am looking for in a driver. However, feeling the general harshness of an off-center hit, really makes the smooth explosion of a center strike feel all the better.
    • Distance wise, I don't feel quite as critical of the distance loss on off-center hits as I did after the first session. It was still a good 10% or so, but really not unfair considering how bad the swings were. On good strikes, I would still say that I am content to happy with the distance compared to what I would hope to see.
    • I played around a bit with lofts again, and I for one do not find extra distance with a 12 deg setting, but 10.5 still looks like the sweet spot for me right now. It is still really cool to be able to switch the loft so drastically. I ended up the day at the 10.5 upright setting, but didn't get enough of a feeling on the direction/distance compared to the normal 10.5.
  • Directional Forgiveness
    • Yeah, so this really isn't a separate category considering the above, but I had some other thoughts here.
    • Maybe it's the weight adjustment, but this club can really mask an ugly would-be slice swing and turn that into a playable fade. Sure, you lose some distance, but you aren't going three fairways over.
    • Having last played a TaylorMade driver with the R11...this is the directional forgiveness I CRAVED with that club. My swing felt awful today, and most of them were 5-10 yard fades, which was pretty much the same result I was thrilled to see when playing well with the R11.
  • Overall
    • Honestly after the first session, I wasn't as enthusiastic as the other testers with the R1. After the second session, I really see some promise here, and look forward to seeing what this club can do as my swing comes back (and I get back on the course).

I gave my Super Tri to my neighbor and I might have to go borrow it back. I spin the R1 extremely low for the most part. Unless I'm swiping it. I'm in the high 1k's to low 2k's if I'm coming from the inside. Launch is good.

New setting tonight. 11.25 loft, 1° open on the sole plate, weight in the heel. Looks better to my eye than either of the other two settings I had.

You guys are making me want to hit this!

I gave my Super Tri to my neighbor and I might have to go borrow it back. I spin the R1 extremely low for the most part. Unless I'm swiping it. I'm in the high 1k's to low 2k's if I'm coming from the inside. Launch is good.

New setting tonight. 11.25 loft, 1° open on the sole plate, weight in the heel. Looks better to my eye than either of the other two settings I had.

Spin could be a touch higher but that's solid. What's the launch?

I didn't bother with average tonight, but it's been anywhere from 12-15 if I'm not yanking it.

Posted via tapatalk.

Those are great launch angles though man. Hard to beat

Got my driver tonite!! Set at 8 3/4,10 gram in toe, n on sole plate. Hit this driver (44 3/4 long) avg 4 yards longer than stock length.best was 307 . Launch was 14.5,spin 1700. If I open up club face to number 2 will this change my loft? Hitting a 10 to 15 yard draw now on neutral setting

Back