Adams Super S Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In depth review of the new driver from Adams Golf by Ryan H. Some great information in here on a club that many have been discussing.

http://bit.ly/Z9UbCi

Excellent review Hawk, I think it sounds like a definite must try for people in the market for a driver. Everything sounds great up to the part where you say you felt like you lacked control with the Super S in your hand, that can be a killer if you can't trust the club. I do look forward to demoing this though, I really liked the fw.

Great review Hawk, this sounds like a good choice for me in a driver other than the control issue. I do wonder if this would continue to be an issue for you if you were to continue to game it. The mid high launch and enhanced forgiveness sound like a good fit for me.

Excellent and thorough job Hawk. Full of good information. I love when THP reviews a product (regardless of the staffer) because they always give honest feedback. We are not always going to love every club. I think it is good and important for companies to get criticism also, so in the future they can make necessary changes. Absolutely well done review Hawk.

Another great review, Hawk. This is one that has intrigued me for a bit now, and I think it all goes back to my original love/hate relationship with my Superfast 1.0. This seems to give me that similar feeling in terms of shape/design. The control issue is a bit of a warning flag, but who am I kidding, I have that issue with just about every club!

Thanks for reading, fellas.

I think the control aspect came to mind primarily because I felt like I was a lot more consistent with the Super LS (review for that should be up very soon). You all should give it a try for yourselves though, because that's just one guy's experience and I wouldn't ever characterize it as an inaccurate driver. It just wasn't a great match for me in that department.

I think it could be a good one to look at for those folks looking for a little more club head speed, higher launch, and spin.

The biggest detraction in my mind is that it almost seems like it leaves unfinished business on the table.
Having one head can work (in the case of the R1, very well), but I'm not so sure it does in such a simplified format like the Super S.

Most other drivers that don't offer some sort of way to alter face angle after loft adjustments at least offer multiple loft options (Xtreme and XL Custom are two examples), which can give many more configurations across the line. With the Super S, you are given three choices out of the entire line and that just seems pretty far behind what we are seeing on the market today.

Thanks for reading, fellas.

I think the control aspect came to mind primarily because I felt like I was a lot more consistent with the Super LS (review for that should be up very soon). You all should give it a try for yourselves though, because that's just one guy's experience and I wouldn't ever characterize it as an inaccurate driver. It just wasn't a great match for me in that department.

I think it could be a good one to look at for those folks looking for a little more club head speed, higher launch, and spin.

The biggest detraction in my mind is that it almost seems like it leaves unfinished business on the table.
Having one head can work (in the case of the R1, very well), but I'm not so sure it does in such a simplified format like the Super S.

Most other drivers that don't offer some sort of way to alter face angle after loft adjustments at least offer multiple loft options (Xtreme and XL Custom are two examples), which can give many more configurations across the line. With the Super S, you are given three choices out of the entire line and that just seems pretty far behind what we are seeing on the market today.
You say unfinished...do you think it was rushed out?

There is no doubt in my mind that Adams would sell more of these if they threw a TM tip on the end. They have red yellow and green already, make the Adams ones silver and only golf nerds will know the difference.

You say unfinished...do you think it was rushed out?

I don't know man. It just seems like an ultra modern looking driver with yesterday's adjustability. I don't get it.

There is no doubt in my mind that Adams would sell more of these if they threw a TM tip on the end. They have red yellow and green already, make the Adams ones silver and only golf nerds will know the difference.

I talk about something similar in the Super LS review. The wrenches don't match, which I think should change.

Great review, Hawk. Your experience with this sounds to me a lot like mine with the Fast 12, my current driver. When I'm on with it, I do get good distance and ball flight. But I don't really like the sound of it, and it seems hard to control. Guess that's why I bounce back and forth between it and my Classic...

Great review Ryan, sounds like Adams has made some good improvements!

The driver looks pretty awesome JB. I love the color. And thank you for linking this amazing review!

There's nothing like new golf equipment. And that was a awesome review if the entire club. Adams is making big moves.

Very informative review Ryan!! Seeing the success of the speed slot in other clubs definitely has me wanting to try this. Loved what I read about off-center hits but like you I may need the LS for the shorter shaft.

Another must hit in May, if not before then!

Thanks Cookie.

I have a hard time swinging 46 inch shafts after being the 44.5 range most of last year. Just seems wrong to me. The LS has a pretty neat length adjustment feature that I talk about in that review.

Lots of great information in this review. Thanks Ryan!

I really want to try one of these Adams heads but that shaft doesn't sound like it would be a match for me.

Maybe the LS would be more your style, Scrap Iron. That one should be up soon.

Maybe the LS would be more your style, Scrap Iron. That one should be up soon.

I will be waiting for. You do a great job with the reviews man.

Appreciate it!

So I hit this thing the other day and absolutely hit the piss out of it. Numbers compared to current gamer:

R11S 10.5* (set 11*, draw weights) w/ Aldila RIP Phenom 60g S (current gamer)
Head: 96mph
Ball: 139mph
Launch: 14.5*
Sidespin: -28
Backspin: 2299
Carry: 235yd

Adams Super S 10.5* w/ Matrix Radix S 50g stiff
Head: 96mph
Ball: 140mph
V.Angle: 14.2*
Sidespin: -90
Backspin: 1522
Carry: 242yd

7 yards more carry, and that was on the first swing with it. Hit a few closer to 250 carry by the end.

The only thing that confuses me is this: Isn't the R11S a lower spin driver than the Super S? Strange that the backspin would be lower with a comparatively high spin driver.

At any rate...I'm interested. Thing was so easy to hit it's not funny.

Back