Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

I really appreciate the responses, Jack and Nate. Thanks!

The genesis of this question is to come prepared to an eventual driver fitting, as I've hit the Cleveland 3x and generally come away with the impression that the pros/fitters at the 3 different locations don't have any particular knowledge of the B Asha shaft and are more inclined to use the fitting to move me to a different offering rather than dial in the B Asha/Cleveland combo that I think I want (to be fair, 1 place didn't explicitly do this but the other two did).

My question ultimately relates to choosing R vs S, and the proper criteria for doing so. To my unscientific mind both feel good. I feel a tiny bit of softness in the R but nothing approaching bad. My SS normally is in the mid 90's, more recently was in the low 100's. So my understanding is I should be S. I am intrigued by the R because (I think) the softer tip is helping me close the club face; I'm not seeing my block with it. Let's say 7 of 10 with the S are straight and 3 are blocks; 9 of 10 with the R are straight and 1 is pulled left/hooked.

So first question - is it just 'universally' wrong to play a shaft that doesn't fit your SS by the book? Would we normally expect loss of distance by doing so (I had thought we'd normally see dispersion issues, but my situation may be unique and allow this to work to my benefit).

Second element of the discussion ... I was getting what I thought were odd launch / spin numbers with the R and 10.5 (15+ launch / 1200ish spin). Are these numbers predominantly a function of the shaft? Can these be adjusted / improved with a different loft, and if so would it make more sense to go up or down in loft? Or is it the case that these numbers tell me I need the S shaft (S / 9* combo numbers gave less launch and more spin, but I got the blocks too)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm not sure about playing the wrong flex. I play an X flex B. Asha and while that might be a bit stout for my swing, I see good results (no distance loss) and huge gain in the department of dispersion. In this case, even though it may not be best for me (I'm not sure if it is or not), it works well and I'm not going to argue with the results I'm seeing. I think it's all about what you like. There's going to be a range of shafts that work well for you, then you just have to choose which one you like best.

Some excellent perspective Nate, I really think a 5S or a 7S would be a great addition to my Classic head!

I've been pondering over the last week about getting the Cleveland XL driver with this shaft. Still leaning that direction, but I noticed in the XL it is tipped at 350 which doesn't give me a lot of options for putting it in other drivers if the XL doesn't work out. I see that I can get a Tour Issue B Asha on ebay for about $180 and have been looking on eBay for a head. There is a brand new Nike VR Pro II Limited 10.5 head for $80. I'm considering picking the two up and seeing what happens, then I could use the B Asha in other driver heads. JRod seemed to have great success with the VR head although he was using a different shaft. I'm not too concerned if the head doesn't work out that great since I would have the option of putting it in something else...just not sure yet. I'd love to be able to try it in my J40 later this year after the Morgan Cup, so having it tipped in .335 would allow me to do that.

Went 11 for 12 today in fairways hit. Best day with the B. Asha thus far. Missed the 1st fairway and then hit the next 11 in a row. Great feel today!

Way to go Nate! Thats solid shooting! Id love to hear about your start, or slow start prevention as well!

Way to go Nate! Thats solid shooting! Id love to hear about your start, or slow start prevention as well!

Really was a rush of momentum by putting a few pars together right off the bat. Then had a good 4 holes after the 1st that were down wind that really helped.

I just ordered a 4s on the Bay with a Razr Fit tip. Having it cut to 45.25 playing length, can't wait to put it on the Fit and get on the course!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

$220 tipped and shipped

I just ordered a 4s on the Bay with a Razr Fit tip. Having it cut to 45.25 playing length, can't wait to put it on the Fit and get on the course!

What loft is your Fit? I'm contemplating this and torn between 4S/5S. Good luck with it, I've got that ebay page up and I'm just itching to make it happen.

I normally play a 9.5 but when I hit the B Asha 4s on a 10.5 I got a lower ball flight than I do with the stock Fit shaft on my 9.5. I think a 9.5 would be too low for me with the B Asha, I get a nice mid penetrating flight with the 10.5 so that's the head I'm going with. I've got the 9.5 laying around in case I need it but I don't think I will.

I dig it Bradd!! Such an incredible combo with the Razr Fit!

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I normally play a 9.5 but when I hit the B Asha 4s on a 10.5 I got a lower ball flight than I do with the stock Fit shaft on my 9.5. I think a 9.5 would be too low for me with the B Asha, I get a nice mid penetrating flight with the 10.5 so that's the head I'm going with. I've got the 9.5 laying around in case I need it but I don't think I will.

Oh man, water muddied even more! I play an 11.5° head and like the ball flight with the stock shaft. The Miyazaki folks recommended the 5S but I usually prefer an active tip and am scared of the 5S being too low. Your response just upped that fear. Maybe a tip trimmed 4S would be better. Any idea how much was trimmed to get it to play at your 45.25"? Arrggh I wish I could find a way to demo this!

Great decision Ingolfer! You are going to love the 4S in a 10.5* head. I see you hitting plenty of bombs and finding lots of fairways. Let us know how it works out for you.

I dig it Bradd!! Such an incredible combo with the Razr Fit!

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I love the Fit and I loved hitting this combo in Ohio, that's why I decided to go this route rather than hoping the new Cleveland XL driver would be a good combo. I have no doubt the Cleveland driver is great but I decided to go with what I know worked for me. I was struggling hitting good drives that day and as soon as I picked up the Fit with this shaft in it I was blown away by the results. Then I had to give it back to tyno and my drives sucked all day....

Oh man, water muddied even more! I play an 11.5° head and like the ball flight with the stock shaft. The Miyazaki folks recommended the 5S but I usually prefer an active tip and am scared of the 5S being too low. Your response just upped that fear. Maybe a tip trimmed 4S would be better. Any idea how much was trimmed to get it to play at your 45.25"? Arrggh I wish I could find a way to demo this!

The 5s will be lower than the 4s. 5 is meant for a lower flight while the 4 is meant for mid-high. I would call the 4s flight a mid flight for me though even with the extra degree on the driver.

My B Asha just arrived safe and sound! Just so happens the 10.5 RAZR Fit head I bought from adwillingham came on the same day. Now the snow just needs to melt

My B Asha just arrived safe and sound! Just so happens the 10.5 RAZR Fit head I bought from adwillingham came on the same day. Now the snow just needs to melt

That's gonna be a killer combo for you man. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I soooo miss my B, come on MyFly adapter! Catching up on this thread really pushed the impatient button.

Great to read that you are finding your groove with your B again Nate...well done bro!

Possibly my future set up as well. Hit it last weekend and really really liked it.

Had a driver fitting today with my 9.5 RazrFit. Stock weights 12 heel, 2 toe.
Stock stiff shaft 45.5" avgs were 9.5 launch angle, 1.48 smash, 230 carry, 245 total, 3800 spin (mostly left), 75ft left of center.

Bolted in B.Asha 4S at 45". Same weight config. Avgs 12.5 launch angle, 1.50 smash, 241 carry 254 total, 3000 spin (left), 25ft left of center.

Swing speed stayed in the 97-98 range, ball speeds were mid 140s.

HUGE improvement for just a quick swap in dispersement and smash factor. I had 5 drives in a row with the 4S that were basically ended up in a 20ft circle.

Didn't get to hit the 4X as they didnt have anymore Fit tips. It's going back on the marketplace this weekend.

If you're on the fence about one these shafts, pull the trigger. Worth every penny!

Stock stiff shaft 45.5" avgs were 9.5 launch angle, 1.48 smash, 230 carry, 245 total, 3800 spin (mostly left), 75ft left of center.

Bolted in B.Asha 4S at 45". Same weight config. Avgs 12.5 launch angle, 1.50 smash, 241 carry 254 total, 3000 spin (left), 25ft left of center.

HUGE improvement for just a quick swap in dispersement and smash factor. I had 5 drives in a row with the 4S that were basically ended up in a 20ft circle.

Didn't get to hit the 4X as they didnt have anymore Fit tips. It's going back on the marketplace this weekend.

If you're on the fence about one these shafts, pull the trigger. Worth every penny!

Dude!!! 1.50SmF is money!!! I love that you got an improvement with the B.Asha. I absolutely could not stand the Fit until I hit it with a B.Asha --- aaand now it's my gamer!

I can't wait to see that thing in action.

I have been thinking of getting one of these for my FIT.....really wish it would be an option for Bridgestone because I know a J40 with a B.Asha in it would be a beast!!

I have been thinking of getting one of these for my FIT.....really wish it would be an option for Bridgestone because I know a J40 with a B.Asha in it would be a beast!!

I picked up an uncut b.asha, so you can always make it an option. :)

Back