The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the day ingraining the feeling of smoothing my takeaway and really getting "into the slot", the continued heel issues have been a LOT on me being too quick on the way back and not dropping my elbow into the slot so as to really maintain an inside/out path. It should help all clubs, not just the big stick. Funny how lazy we can get on the little things and sometimes just slowing down to see/feel what you're doing can make SUCH a difference.

I'm going to completely tear down my swing and rebuild it from scratch this summer. Is there anyone here who has done that and can give me tips on how to go about it?

That's what I have been doing since August. I had success during the summer, winning three times on the junior tour here, but I was lacking consistency and I wanted to take my game to the next level. I was in a mini slump two weeks before golf season and got a lesson to straighten myself out. My instructor, however wanted me to completely change my swing. Since I'm not the expert on the golf swing, I decided to listen to him. While he does have a good rebuilding process, I started at the wrong time. The best advice I can give you is to plan when to rebuild. The process to be a success would take about 6 months, so plan accordingly. We started step by step, changing one thing every time. If I were you, I would find an instructor and change takeaway first, then turn and lower body, then tempo, then everything else. If you don't want to get lessons find a pro with the same body type as you, analyze his swing, and emulate it one step at a time. And finally and most importantly, be patient and stick to it no matter how badly you are playing. One round with your old swing will erase and progress you have made. Hope this helps!

That's what I have been doing since August. I had success during the summer, winning three times on the junior tour here, but I was lacking consistency and I wanted to take my game to the next level. I was in a mini slump two weeks before golf season and got a lesson to straighten myself out. My instructor, however wanted me to completely change my swing. Since I'm not the expert on the golf swing, I decided to listen to him. While he does have a good rebuilding process, I started at the wrong time. The best advice I can give you is to plan when to rebuild. The process to be a success would take about 6 months, so plan accordingly. We started step by step, changing one thing every time. If I were you, I would find an instructor and change takeaway first, then turn and lower body, then tempo, then everything else. If you don't want to get lessons find a pro with the same body type as you, analyze his swing, and emulate it one step at a time. And finally and most importantly, be patient and stick to it no matter how badly you are playing. One round with your old swing will erase and progress you have made. Hope this helps!

That is a huge help, thanks. I have a coach so I plan on booking a bunch of lessons with him over the summer, then when I come back to school I'll get a range pass and continue the work on my own. At least that's the plan.

Spent some time on the range trying out a few sets of irons and a bunch of drivers. Felt good both days and hit the ball pretty well, sadly though it didn't transfer over to the course either day, back to the drawing board

I've been overhauling my putting stroke the past few weeks. And have been tinkering around with a grip change and have been very pleased with the results so far. Hopefully the putts continue to find the hole.

Temps hit the 40 today so we headed out to the range for a little bit. I brought the driver, 4 hybrid, 7 and 9 iron with me. Though the driver and hybrid were with me, I think I hit about 10 balls combined with them. I just wasn't in the mood to hit them I guess. I really focused on those 2 irons. Was pretty happy with what I was seeing from both. Most shots seemed to be stuck solidly enough for this time of the year. At one point I decided to take my 9 iron and just aim at the 100 yard sign to see if I could take some off of it and hit the sign. While I missed every time, I had a nice little group all around it. All in all happy with how I struck it at the range today.

Here is a look at the range. Snow is not really a problem right about now except in areas where it was piled up. Just need the ground to soak up some of the water and the season can start. I'm guessing we are about 3 weeks away.

20130224_134029_zpsa28c1188.jpg

Went to the range today as well. Have to take advantage of even lukewarm days. Hitting the new irons well; learning to put a very nice swing on them focusing on tempo instead of swing speed and they just go. Also swung my new TEE XCG5 hybrid some more. Really like it and the mid trajectory, but need a little more time getting used to it. Finally, hit my wedges and am still liking them a lot. Am starting to dial in my distances, so all of this is getting me excited to start the season!

Hit the range this afternoon before the snow came in. Unfortunately the range doesn't turn their lights on on the weekend, so I ended up practicing by the light thrown off of the propane heater.

Working on grooving a new swing, staying over the ball a bit more and clearing my hips and shoulders especially. Been hanging back a bit. I'm finding the center of the club face nicely, but my swing path still promotes a bit of a fade.

e8abahu8.jpg

Last edited:
I've been having issues with slicing pretty bad with the driver. I went to the range today and devoted most of it on using the driver. I realized that I wasn't closing the face of the driver at impact. So, I started consciously rotating my wrist and got it somewhat corrected. I mostly hit it straight and at times with a bit of a fade. Occasionally, I get a pretty bad hook.

Working on grooving a new swing, staying over the ball a bit more and clearing my hips and shoulders especially. Been hanging back a bit. I'm finding the center of the club face nicely, but my swing path still promotes a bit of a fade.

e8abahu8.jpg

Damn, nice contact on that club.

Hit the range this afternoon before the snow came in. Unfortunately the range doesn't turn their lights on on the weekend, so I ended up practicing by the light thrown off of the propane heater.

I'll say! Great stuff man! Keep it up!

Just had a very mixed range session. For some reason I've been getting way too steep with my 3 wood and moon-balling everything.

Using the reverse k a bit has helped, especially in my mid and scoring irons. I have a feeling that most of my issues are due to my takeaway, but I can't quit isolate all my issues.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Got out to the range today to do some chipping and pitching. For the most part, things went well. I'm just trying to get a better feel on how to "release" the ball when chipping.

My practice today consisted of going to GG and testing different irons. I hit balls for over 2 hours. The first 30 minutes were garbage, as I could not get my back to loosen up. I plan on going back tomorrow to do the same thing. Different clubs to try still. I just hope that one set sticks out better for me, than the rest.

Practiced a couple times yesterday at home. Once by myself and the other time with the boy. He's my good luck charm I guess because the second time was better than the first, especially with longer clubs.

I did some drills last night, I'm still working on trying to keep my left arm straight on the backswing. I've noticed that I still have a very cupped left wrist at the top, so I did a little work trying to keep my right elbow tucked into my side and that seemed to help.

At first it led to a lot of thin shots, and it threw my rotation and timing off. Eventually it felt like it came around, so I'll keep at it, and hopefully be able to hit the range again soon once this latest batch of snow melts off.

Stupid snow anyway.

I just had a great range session albiet indoors at the golf dome it was still awesome. Starting to really flush the ball with my irons just about every swing, I have enough room to see exactly where my ball flight is heading and I didn't miss a single iron shot high/right. I'm super excited that the root of all my iron woes wasn't something big and has seemingly been an easy fix to implement into the swing. March is right around the corner and I could not be more ready to hit the ground running the second the season starts!

Confusing practice session tonight. Everything felt awkward and I was hitting behind the ball more than I should. I think I'm gonna back off the self introduced thoughts and try to get one more lesson in before DFW.

I hit some balls yesterday and ended up quitting because my lower back didn't really feel right. Going to give it another try today.

I hit some balls yesterday and ended up quitting because my lower back didn't really feel right. Going to give it another try today.

that stinks dude. Probably the best idea to shut it down for the day.

It's hard to stop man. Now we have something like 8 inches of snow to melt off again. Booo.

It's hard to stop man. Now we have something like 8 inches of snow to melt off again. Booo.

I know it is, I never do and then usually later in the day wish I did.

Hawk, are we running on the same schedule or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back