Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Yep, but it is always good to ponder, isn't it?
Pondering is one thing, but are you going to go and ask to be refit to a different shaft? Doesnt that kind of make fitting irrelevant, in a way?

I ask because those 5.5 are on the softer side of stiff borderline regualr flex
Not too bad, but I've only had them out for 2 rounds. I was killing them on the range, I just love the KBS Tours and it has got into my head more than anything. I really need to hit up the optimizer.

Pondering is one thing, but are you going to go and ask to be refit to a different shaft? Doesnt that kind of make fitting irrelevant, in a way?

I will ask based on what we saw during my fitting would the X95 make a better option. Getting a fitting done is all about finding the best option for you is it not?

I will ask based on what we saw during my fitting would the X95 make a better option. Getting a fitting done is all about finding the best option for you is it not?
Sure it is. But, if the fitting was done, and the X95 was the better option, wouldnt that have been something that was recommended to you?

Sure it is. But, if the fitting was done, and the X95 was the better option, wouldnt that have been something that was recommended to you?

When I went to the fitting I went there with the assumption I was getting the irons with the stock set-up. While I did go through a shaft optimizer test, it was done to show that the decision I was making would work! Any new shaft options on the market were not discussed because I do not have what options will be available to us staffers and was just going of the list from last year ( whatever is on the website).

When I went to the fitting I went there with the assumption I was getting the irons with the stock set-up. While I did go through a shaft optimizer test, it was done to show that the decision I was making would work! Any new shaft options on the market were not discussed because I do not have what options will be available to us staffers and was just going of the list from last year ( whatever is on the website).
Ah ok, makes much more sense now.

Ah ok, makes much more sense now.

Ok glad I explained it so you understand. I am not going to worry, I know I hit the 5.5's very well and I have done enough worrying for the MC up till now. From this point forward I am going to continue to get my game ready and have fun doing it!

Ok glad I explained it so you understand. I am not going to worry, I know I hit the 5.5's very well and I have done enough worrying for the MC up till now. From this point forward I am going to continue to get my game ready and have fun doing it!

yeah man, go with what works, you have an advantage since you have been able to hit the irons, you know they fit your game, run with it!

yeah man, go with what works, you have an advantage since you have been able to hit the irons, you know they fit your game, run with it!

Easy there... I hit a 6i and a 9i for a few rounds. yes the shots I hit went very well but not like I played a full set of these for 6 months...LOL

Easy there... I hit a 6i and a 9i for a few rounds. yes the shots I hit went very well but not like I played a full set of these for 6 months...LOL

I bet that still a leg up on some!

I'm obviously a little late to this party but thought I'd share my thoughts on the J40 DPC's.

Bought a set of J40 DPC's (PX flighted 5.5) and PING i20's (CFS stiff) to compare to my current set of Nike Pro Combos w/ Nippon MODUS3's in stiff. Basically looking to see if I can find a set with a bit more forgiveness while retaining similar feel and control.

Have had the J40's about 10 days now and got in two sets of 9, 2 full rounds and a range session so far.

PROS: The J40's are much, much more forgiving than the Pro Combos and have better turf interaction, probably the best turf interaction I've found.

CONS: The J40's feel fabulous, just not quite as exceptional as the Pro Combos which is to be expected given the design differences. The difference is small though and at this point I'll certainly take the increased forgiveness and supreme turf interaction over the small difference in feel.

The i20's arrived yesterday so this week will be spent comparing the J40's vs i20's. What a week to look forward to!

Great writeup, are u seeing similar distances between the 2 sets?

I'm obviously a little late to this party but thought I'd share my thoughts on the J40 DPC's.

Bought a set of J40 DPC's (PX flighted 5.5) and PING i20's (CFS stiff) to compare to my current set of Nike Pro Combos w/ Nippon MODUS3's in stiff. Basically looking to see if I can find a set with a bit more forgiveness while retaining similar feel and control.

Have had the J40's about 10 days now and got in two sets of 9, 2 full rounds and a range session so far.

PROS: The J40's are much, much more forgiving than the Pro Combos and have better turf interaction, probably the best turf interaction I've found.

CONS: The J40's feel fabulous, just not quite as exceptional as the Pro Combos which is to be expected given the design differences. The difference is small though and at this point I'll certainly take the increased forgiveness and supreme turf interaction over the small difference in feel.

The i20's arrived yesterday so this week will be spent comparing the J40's vs i20's. What a week to look forward to!

What about the ball flight for you and the J40's? My ball flight was higher when I moved to the J40's, so I went with a stiffer shaft that brought the ball flight closer to what I wanted to see.

MikeDean441-I have not hit them back to measure it empirically, but anecdotal observation is that the J40's are actually a little shorter despite being 1* stronger lofted. This is absolutely due to the shaft differences and design. The MODUS3's are lower spin and the difference in ball flight is visually noticeable. I hate to use buzz words, but "piercing" just fits the flight with MODUS3's while "rising", NOT BALLOONING, describes what I see from the PX flighted shafts. I have always spun the ball a bit too much from too sharp an angle of attack and that is the culprit here I am sure.

Interlooper-I am actually going the opposite direction. I am getting out of stiff shafts and moving towards something closer to "firm". But yes, I've noticed a higher ball flight between sets and think much of that should be chalked up to shaft differences.

Right now I am leaning towards going with a set of J40 DPC's with the MODUS3 shafts stepped to come out closer to that "firm" flex 2/3rds of the way between a reg and stiff. My SS says I need a stiff, my body/rhythm/intuition says I need a regular flex, so I am splitting the difference. I actually like the flex in the 5.5's and they feel fine, I've just fallen in love with the super stiff tip of the MODUS3's and how little shots seem to deviate offline with them.

Thanks for the info All 4's.

I am going to find some time to hit mine within the next week, and I will go to great lengths to do so.

Interlooper-I am actually going the opposite direction. I am getting out of stiff shafts and moving towards something closer to "firm". But yes, I've noticed a higher ball flight between sets and think much of that should be chalked up to shaft differences.

Thx for the info! I have been pretty happy with the solid performance of these irons. My distance control seems to be better as of late as well, which I believe has a little to do with the heads' performance on off-center hits and turf interaction, etc.

MikeDean441-I have not hit them back to measure it empirically, but anecdotal observation is that the J40's are actually a little shorter despite being 1* stronger lofted. This is absolutely due to the shaft differences and design. The MODUS3's are lower spin and the difference in ball flight is visually noticeable. I hate to use buzz words, but "piercing" just fits the flight with MODUS3's while "rising", NOT BALLOONING, describes what I see from the PX flighted shafts. I have always spun the ball a bit too much from too sharp an angle of attack and that is the culprit here I am sure.

Right now I am leaning towards going with a set of J40 DPC's with the MODUS3 shafts stepped to come out closer to that "firm" flex 2/3rds of the way between a reg and stiff. My SS says I need a stiff, my body/rhythm/intuition says I need a regular flex, so I am splitting the difference. I actually like the flex in the 5.5's and they feel fine, I've just fallen in love with the super stiff tip of the MODUS3's and how little shots seem to deviate offline with them.

Nice, thanks for the info, sounds like you are headed on the right path for your shaft selection

Went to Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith in Columbus yesterday and neither one had any Bridgestone equipment. I thought being in a big city I would have some success checking them out. I wanted to see some comparisons between the DPC and CB. Hopefully the Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy in Indianapolis has some Bstone stuff to check out. I wanting to pick up a couple hats also, but they didn't even carry any Bridgestone hats! Garbage!

Went to Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith in Columbus yesterday and neither one had any Bridgestone equipment. I thought being in a big city I would have some success checking them out. I wanted to see some comparisons between the DPC and CB. Hopefully the Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy in Indianapolis has some Bstone stuff to check out. I wanting to pick up a couple hats also, but they didn't even carry any Bridgestone hats! Garbage!

Good luck with that, I would call first. The only store I have seen any Bridgestone J40 Irons are the PGA Superstore. Even the really good Edwin Watts here in Orlando doesn't have them, in fact no store in Orlando had them as of a couple months ago.

Bradd, I have been to several stores and done lots of research and the only stores I have found the carry Bridgestone gear in stock are PGA Superstores, and even some of them don't have it....it's really sad.

Last year in Myrtle Beach WCBM and myself made a run to Martin's PGA Superstore to grab some stuff and Cookie had asked us to grab him a Bridgestone towel.....they didnt have anything Bridgestone other than balls.

You pretty much have to search online to find anything Bridgestone makes outside of balls.

I'm having such an internal battle between the DPC's and the CB's. I like the looks of the CB's quite a bit more but man do I love forgiveness. J40 combo set could be spectacular. This is why I absolutely love that demo program that Bstone is coming out with.

I'm having such an internal battle between the DPC's and the CB's. I like the looks of the CB's quite a bit more but man do I love forgiveness. J40 combo set could be spectacular. This is why I absolutely love that demo program that Bstone is coming out with.

I agree with you on the looks, but at the end of the day performance won for me. Maybe if I ever get better the CB's will be purchased, but for now the DPC's are a winner. However, those Aerotech shafts really have me wanting to see what they are all about.

I agree with you on the looks, but at the end of the day performance won for me. Maybe if I ever get better the CB's will be purchased, but for now the DPC's are a winner. However, those Aerotech shafts really have me wanting to see what they are all about.

Heck yeah those Aerotechs are intriguing. And I think the performance will dictate it for me as well. I'm well known for letting forgiveness pick my iron.

Back