The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some more range time in yesterday with my new overlap grip. Also got my 1st Sun burn of the year!!!!! Yay for 82 degrees. Hit the ball rather well again, but I will need to take some time to get the feel of everything when it comes to chipping.

Channeling my inner Jason Gore. And swing thought for today "Must beat team Callaway, Must beat Team Callaway...and Nate....."

I thought we were buddies!!??? I do know this.....if we put up my best drive against your best drive, I'd be happy if I was 10yds back from it!!!

my first post in this thread. not sure why I havenlt seen it till now.

Ive never been much for practicing so I stay away from the range for the most part, and take my chances on the course. I do like to hit a couple dozen balls before a round just to loosen up though.

Lately, my iron game has completely fallen apart so I went for a lesson a few weeks ago. The guy is good...helped me on some problems I was having last season, and he's completely fixed my grip this time. What a difference. I am still having some ball striking issues though, mostly what I think are tempo and movement sync problems. My past excursions to a range have been like work ( I hate practicing anything) and I'd take the whole golf bag with me to add some variety.

This time I have abandoned that approach and now I just take 2 clubs with me in order to diagnose and correct what I find wrong. Ive been to the range 2x in the past week and hit a bucket of 80 balls with my 52* wedge and my 8iron. Last week I was hitting the wedge great and couldn't connect with the 8i. Last night I went after work and just worked on the 8i. Changing stance, set-up, etc...till I found the secret sauce. I realized I was not turning enough, and swinging "through" the ball. It seemed to make all the difference. So...this practice thing...it seems to work. I'll keep it up for a while and see if I can turn my handicap trend back around.

Keep it up, subvet! It's pretty normal for me to use one or maybe two clubs as my primary lesson/practice clubs. It's a good way to work more on the specific things I'm supposed to do. If I see problems with a certain club I'll incorporate it into my routine, but I hit 4 to 1 with the 7 iron.

Snow has kept me from hitting the range for the past week and a half or so, and it looks like some bad habits were starting to creep back in. I hit a few shots on the simulator at Golf Galaxy yesterday over lunch, and they were so bad that I had to stop and just watch my buddy.

Off the toe and fat.

I spent some time in the basement last night and started out having the same issues. I think I figured out the problem. I was setting up farther away from the ball and getting my hands too low. I setup to the club differently with a more upright posture, and things fell right back into place.

Whew ... let's hope I can keep it going.

Little things! Isn't it weird how something so minor can cause a chain reaction?

Rolled about an hour of putts. Nothing exciting or new to report just trying to groove the stroke. I'm really to get on some real grass and get some work in, I like my birdie ball, but i want to get to work on some drills. The 3-6-9 drill, around the world, I have one I'm going to call the Snail drill. Basically the balls sprial out in a circle (like snail) from the hole increasing by a foot up to 10-12-15 feet, where ever I decide to stop or run out of room. The goal is to hit each putt without missing one. But the trick is that each putt will be different as you are going up in distance and moving away from the hole growing circular pattern. Will really make one focus on alignment and will force you to read each putt independently.

looks like I will get to start my practice this weekend. I'm excited to play my first round of 2013. Looking forward to see where my swing stands after taking the winter off from swinging a club. Hopefully it's not too bad... :act-up:

Rolled about an hour of putts. Nothing exciting or new to report just trying to groove the stroke. I'm really to get on some real grass and get some work in, I like my birdie ball, but i want to get to work on some drills. The 3-6-9 drill, around the world, I have one I'm going to call the Snail drill. Basically the balls sprial out in a circle (like snail) from the hole increasing by a foot up to 10-12-15 feet, where ever I decide to stop or run out of room. The goal is to hit each putt without missing one. But the trick is that each putt will be different as you are going up in distance and moving away from the hole growing circular pattern. Will really make one focus on alignment and will force you to read each putt independently.

I like this and will be stealing it.

I like this and will be stealing it.

Steal away buddy. Thats why posted that. Keep in mind that the pattern will have to go left so you aren't standing on top of your next starting point or in your line. And if you miss, then back to the start. I'll probably start this drill out to 7 feet till I can do it twice in a row and then add a foot each time I complete it twice in a row without missing.

I thought we were buddies!!??? I do know this.....if we put up my best drive against your best drive, I'd be happy if I was 10yds back from it!!!

We are buddies! Which makes me want to beat you all the more...I'm way too competitive haha

I tap, therefore I am

I was at the range today, finally. Been busy testing irons all week. I hit over 250 balls today. Went through the entire bag. I had planned on today last week and I planned on working on certain shots with Stage 2 fairway (3W). But, Cookie let me borrow his J40s for a bit to see what I think. Let me just say this, THESE ARE THE BEST IRONS I HAVE EVER HAD ON COURSE OR A RANGE. It was like target practice out there. Just a little heads up on the conditions. 53* with 15mph sustained and 26mph gusts of wind. So not ideal for ball flight or aim. It was still target practice, with every single club, 5i - PW. Nice high shots raining down around the flag. High draws and low piercing stingers. It was so cool. Made me feel like I could actually play this game.
I started with warming up with the pitching wedge, and it felt so good. I hit the entire first bucket with the wedge. I then went through the entire J40 line up with the next bucket. Finally realizing that I had not broke out the Stage 2. So, bucket #3, I hit half of the bucket trying to hit the ball low. I only did it once through the first 20 or so balls. Had a friend show up, so I explained what I was doing with all the clubs and told him about the Stage 2 testing and what I was doing at that time. So I showed him what I was doing and hit 3 in a row. I guess I can hit the low stinker with this club. But I had to get back to the J40s. I finished the bucket off with so J40 beauties. Unbelievable that I was producing these magnifacent shots. Amazed.

I sensed a little excitement in that post, afw! Gotta love that.

Just a short session for me last night. Let the boy join me after 20 minutes so he could whack his new Spongebob balls.

I sensed a little excitement in that post, afw! Gotta love that.

Just a short session for me last night. Let the boy join me after 20 minutes so he could whack his new Spongebob balls.

I could not go to sleep last night. I have never been so comfortable hitting before. And that was with ever one of the clubs. Been at work telling the guys all about it. Was I impressed with these? More than you could imagine. So glad that cookie aloud me the chance to get a feel for them.

He's an alright guy, isn't he?

Nice Eddie...it's a great feeling when you hit new clubs well! Just a burst of confidence.

Was watching The Golf Fix the other night and Breed was talking about strategies to warming up and said the he visualizes the first couple of holes to warm up. He uses the range to visualize where he wants to aim and if he misses the target really bad, he practices a punch shot and moves on down the course. He did that for like the first three holes he would be playing after the range. Seemed like a cool idea to change up the norm of just hitting balls. I usually hate going to the range, but maybe doing this will help me focus on what types of shots to work on.

Nice Eddie...it's a great feeling when you hit new clubs well! Just a burst of confidence.

It is the first time that I have ever had the opportunity to hit a club that was fit to my swing, as that is one of the shafts called out in my fitting Saturday. It was quite impressive.

Got back out to the range today. I will say that it was not as good as yesterday and I blame yesterday. I started out with the J40 pitching wedge and it was a repeat of yesterdays performance. Very impressive ball and so effortless. I was really enjouing jus thitting shot after shot at one of the flags. Once I started to get real loosened up, I changed the intended target to the next one back, maybe 30yds. I was landing the shots either just short and running them up or just on the front edge. I t was all that I could get out of the PW. The 8i was next and I started trying to hit the top of this same flag. I was flying it by quite a bit. After about 10 balls, I had to check to make sure that I did not have the 7i in my hands. Turns out I had the 9i instead and that really impressed me. I waqs planning on hitting just every other club today and conserve some energy,as I am spend from yesterday. I did not get much sleep, just to wound up from the reange yesterday. Starting the second bucket, I wanted to actually just hit the J40 just a little more and then jump to the Stage 2. But by this time I was completely shot. I hit, very bad 3 with the R9 and 3 with the Stage 2. That was all I could do. To finish the bucket, I went through the 588 wedges. that was ok, nothing spectacular.
Decided I had enough of the range. Went and putted for 30 minutes and called it a day. Nothing to take from the range to really.

During my complete rebuild I am working on nothing but my setup, stance and takeaway (1st 24 inches). It is going to be a long haul, and I find myself reverting back to my owned swing during many rounds, but at the range and at times, I stand and work on nothing but this. I can tell in time I will have a completely rebuilt swing and one that I am happy with.

It is such a long process however. In the meantime, since I am not working on full swings, I am spending my time putting. Lots and lots of putting.

After the next snowstorm coming through over the next 2 days, the temperatures after that are going to be in the 50s for a few days. I can't wait to get in some outdoor practice!!!

During my complete rebuild I am working on nothing but my setup, stance and takeaway (1st 24 inches). It is going to be a long haul, and I find myself reverting back to my owned swing during many rounds, but at the range and at times, I stand and work on nothing but this. I can tell in time I will have a completely rebuilt swing and one that I am happy with.

It is such a long process however. In the meantime, since I am not working on full swings, I am spending my time putting. Lots and lots of putting.

Sounds like quite the undertaking! Best of luck, I'm about 14mos into my swing overhaul thanks to my local pro and finally seeing some positive feedback from the work I've put in. I've got high hopes for this upcoming season.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

JB you should read the book Easier said than done by Dr Rick Jenson.... really opened my eyes to swing changes and what they entail. i really like where youre heading i feel my swing SLOWLY getting better but under pressure i still go back to my old swing. but all you can do is reps to engrain that muscle memory till its there.

Field goal post drill right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back