Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I am looking forward to hitting these, along with the rest of the cleveland lineup this year.

OK majBC, will do that. Guess I have to go into the profile to do it. I will try.
Tried it. Couldn't see a place to add the bag set-up so I put it in signature, just checking here to see if that did it. If not, I don't know how to get that in.

I posted in the MT thread the other day but thought I'd throw it here as well.

I don't know what it is but I just don't hit these as well as the MTs. I hope I can go hit them straight up again this week.

I am sure this has been asked but before I dig through 23 pages...JB how much if any difference in feel did you notice between the forged face of the Altitudes and the forged head of the Nikes? I understand you have graphite in the cleveland vs. steel in the Nikes and that will effect feel but baring that any noticable issues between the two?

I am sure this has been asked but before I dig through 23 pages...JB how much if any difference in feel did you notice between the forged face of the Altitudes and the forged head of the Nikes? I understand you have graphite in the cleveland vs. steel in the Nikes and that will effect feel but baring that any noticable issues between the two?

Hard to say RW. I find these to feel incredibly good and unlike any irons I have tried before that share a similar shape. They have a sound at impact that relates to a thinner soled iron, so to me they are similar.

Hard to say RW. I find these to feel incredibly good and unlike any irons I have tried before that share a similar shape. They have a sound at impact that relates to a thinner soled iron, so to me they are similar.
My previous set was forged Mizuno JPX Pros and both the sound and feel of the ball on the clubface was somewhat muted. With the Altitudes I get a nice sharp click using a Callaway tour ball, even with short chips. The click is very pleasing and blends nice with the slight vibration that passes through my hands to create a repeatable feel/sound experience.

These may be in my bag by the end of the day. Plan on going to golfsmith today. I may have to take advantage of their 50% trade in bonus. Can't wait,

These may be in my bag by the end of the day. Plan on going to golfsmith today. I may have to take advantage of their 50% trade in bonus. Can't wait,
Nice dude! Wht made you decide on these?

Nice dude! Wht made you decide on these?
War eagle, looks like I'm going to change my signature. I ended up getting 4-pw, dw. In reg flex graphite. The reason I decided to go with these was mainly due to success I had with the HB3's previously. I had some of my best rounds with those clubs but just didn't quite like the feel. Felt very tinny, almost plastic like. Plus they were a little too upright for me. The forging, bendable hossel, and the forgiveness of these cubs just put it over the top for me. I believe I can really feel the club head during my swing and it just seems a lot easier to get the club head square at impact. Don't know if its the sheer size of the club head but I just seemed to make a lot better impact with these. I am a little bit of a sweeper and these just help me go down after it a little bit harder, which is what I need. No chunky monkey with these bad boys or at least they seem a lot more forgiving on the fat shot. Playing a two man scramble this afternoon, can't wait to put these bad boys into play

Let me start by saying I was dead wrong about these clubs. They look like interesting but play and sound like every other iron. Looks are everything when the performance stands out.

I heard so many flush, solid sounds coming from these the other day it wasn't funny. I saw more positive ball flights than I expected. The ball took off on a mid/high arc and just seemed to hang a few seconds longer as if it was choosing its spot to set down. From the PW to 4i the ball flight was consistent and similar. Don't sleep in these, you'll
be doing yourself a disservice.

The foot of snow that fell last weekend melted away to nothing on our driving range with Tuesday's steady rain. The course is still closed but I have access to the range and there are thousands of balls lying on the ground. I spent hours yesterday and today walking around the range, banging long irons from the rear fence back to 10 yards short of the mats, then hitting knockdowns from 100-120 toward the mats, then hitting full 8 and 9 irons back out toward the rear of the range again. The Altitudes were just launching the balls high and deep, real solid. It's great practice hitting off the ground rather than those mats; I loved it. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to playing for real here in Connecticut after breaking the winter spell with a dozen or so rounds in Florida and the Carolinas.

I am really looking forward to hitting these on the range on Saturday and maybe, just maybe, getting to play 18 with them? :D

I am really looking forward to hitting these on the range on Saturday and maybe, just maybe, getting to play 18 with them? :D
The anticipation for you with these irons has been building like crazy dude, hit 'em well!

Thanks for your thoughts. I need to hit them again and may do so tomorrow. I just didn'thit them good at all and was hitting the MT's really well.

May have just been an off day.

Let me start by saying I was dead wrong about these clubs. They look like interesting but play and sound like every other iron. Looks are everything when the performance stands out.

I heard so many flush, solid sounds coming from these the other day it wasn't funny. I saw more positive ball flights than I expected. The ball took off on a mid/high arc and just seemed to hang a few seconds longer as if it was choosing its spot to set down. From the PW to 4i the ball flight was consistent and similar. Don't sleep in these, you'll
be doing yourself a disservice.

Just spent 36 holes with my new irons and these bad boys just flat out work. I hit some really great iron shots with these this weekend. Played from the back tees on Friday with my golf group and had to hit several long irons into greens. I'm loving the 4,5,and 6 irons. If you struggle with getting the ball up in the air, you should really try these out. I hit a lot if greens this weekend!

I had the opportunity to play these irons over the weekend with the stock stiff graphite shafts. Conditions were windy with dormant grass but I was really pleased with what these brought to my game.

There really is no difference when holding the 4i versus holding the PW. Sure, it looks a little different at address but I don't feel like I am holding a long iron. I have never had much confidence in the bag past the 7 iron but these definitely changed my perception of that.

They are high launching but they still carry very nice distances given how much they get up there. While I did struggle a few times with the height when hitting directly into the wind and getting some push back, the height is great for getting a ball to land and just stop on the greens with little to no rollout.

I found them fairly easy to hit on dormant grass but when I got on a range yesterday that actually had some nice green grass I was very impressed with how easy they were. I was creating some nice little divots while sending some great looking shots down the range. Hitting off that dormant hard grass is something I always struggle with given my angle of attack.

2 things I liked most about these:

1) forgiveness. I hit some shots where I immediately said that I missed it out on the toe and thought I would be 15 yards short only to find myself pin high on the green, this happened multiple times over the weekend.
2) confidence they provide regardless of what club you had in your hand all the way from the 4 through the PW.

2 things I liked least about these:

1) launch. Just too darn high when playing in winds consistently over 20. Getting the ball that high really allows the wind to dictate what happens and I don't like that.
2) length of the stock shaft. Think they are like 1/2 over normal just by looking at them and I believe that contributed to some of my chunking issues with the club getting to the ground before the ball on some swings.

Closing thoughts:

These will be in my bag for the Morgan Cup at least from 6-DW. Still have to decide how I fill the 3-5 slots with either these or the Classic hybrids. I will have them shortened from stock and I will have other shafts in there. Unsure if I will go graphite or steel at this point. I think I want something a bit heavier in there, perhaps 85g or something like that but not the typical steel weight of 120, etc.

Right on Cookie. I bet you could control that height a little bit with a different shaft.

Right on Cookie. I bet you could control that height a little bit with a different shaft.

Definitely, I think the heads are designed to naturally get the ball up and when you add the ActionLite graphite, you get some seriously high launch. I can understand the need for it though with the targeted golfer in mind.

I am thinking:

PX flighted (because I have had good success)
PXi (similar flight as the flighted but a bit lighter)
VS Proto 80
NV Comp 85

Those last 2 really intrigue me because they have both the weight and trajectory that I believe I want. Only a fitting will likely tell though.

Neat stuff Cookie. The VSProto 85's toned down the height a little for me, but, still the highest irons I have hit. They are definitely forgiving.

Good thought Cookie, glad they lived up to the hype for you!

Interesting observation from my round this past Sunday. I have been gaming the 5i and 6i of the MT set for about a month, and have built a ton of confidence with them. I switched back to the DPCs this weekend, and didnt hesitate once to hit my 5 and 6 iron on the course, and I did it more than a few times... and hit them quite well.

So, bringing it back on topic... Cookie, after gaming these for a bit, do you think it would give you confidence in your swing to play a less forgiving iron?

Good thought Cookie, glad they lived up to the hype for you!

Interesting observation from my round this past Sunday. I have been gaming the 5i and 6i of the MT set for about a month, and have built a ton of confidence with them. I switched back to the DPCs this weekend, and didnt hesitate once to hit my 5 and 6 iron on the course, and I did it more than a few times... and hit them quite well.

So, bringing it back on topic... Cookie, after gaming these for a bit, do you think it would give you confidence in your swing to play a less forgiving iron?

Doubtful. I need a club with some junk in the trunk.

I have so many misses on so many areas of the club face. Even if I did build up confidence enough to try something less forgiving I would have to ask myself why? Why would I play a club with less forgiveness? I have zero intention of trying to work a ball into a green. My desire to work a ball goes as far as playing a trap draw out of the trees to get around a green, etc. All I want is a club I can hit straight and to a certain number the majority of the time.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, I did not see a single flyer where I just completely overshot the green. Well, except for the thin few that I hit....thin shots go far. LOL

Doubtful. I need a club with some junk in the trunk.

I have so many misses on so many areas of the club face. Even if I did build up confidence enough to try something less forgiving I would have to ask myself why? Why would I play a club with less forgiveness? I have zero intention of trying to work a ball into a green. My desire to work a ball goes as far as playing a trap draw out of the trees to get around a green, etc. All I want is a club I can hit straight and to a certain number the majority of the time.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, I did not see a single flyer where I just completely overshot the green. Well, except for the thin few that I hit....thin shots go far. LOL
Gotcha. I guess I just go back to last summer at the MC and watching you play so well with the DPCs.

Cookie how sweet is the sound of these? That's the thing that surprised me the most I think. They sound like a normal set of irons.

Gotcha. I guess I just go back to last summer at the MC and watching you play so well with the DPCs.

Funny you mention that and I should have elaborated as I spoke about this several times this weekend. It seems like I can hit a normal iron (DPC's for example) pretty well when I am on a course with nice plush conditions. I get back home and my home course which seems to stay dormant year round and I begin to struggle. Perhaps I just get in that mindset playing around here and playing average at best that I start thinking I need something more forgiving to help my game.

You are right though - I played my best golf of the year at the MC in 2012, no doubt about that. Especially on Sunday.

I can still say without a doubt that these have more forgiveness that I am accustomed to and I hit several greens over the weekend that I would not have with my DPC's IMO. Guess if I cared about the looks of a club I could see not wanting to play these but as far as what they bring to my game, I see no reason not to play them.

Sorry for the rambling, hope it makes sense!

Cookie how sweet is the sound of these? That's the thing that surprised me the most I think. They sound like a normal set of irons.

No doubt man, there is nothing about them at impact whether it be feel (dreaded word) or sound that make you think you are not hitting a normal iron.

Cookie hits these things pretty darn well. I think you found your irons for sure

Back