Cleveland Classic Hybrid Preview Thread

Not sure about your launch conditions but generally a fairway wood gives a higher launch than a hybrid (using same loft and same length shafts). What I often do with players is split the difference by going to a shorter fairway wood. Too often the lower-lofted hybrids aren't good for much else than tee work unless you have a high swing speed or unusual swing characteristics. I think this is one reason why the larger headed hybrids have really taken off in the past few years.

I could shorten the FW wood but I have been having some issues with turf interaction with it which is not uncommon for me and FW woods. I actually pick these hybrids off the turf a bit better (I have always been a big fan of hybrids).

I am going to spend some more time with the FW wood before going that route but if I consistently hit a hybrid better and don't have launch issues, then the H1 seems to be a no brainer. Already pretty certain I will also have the H3, H4, and H5 - but probably shortened a hair to play more like irons.

I use a 18* mashie and it has worked well for me with a 88-92 mph driver ss. I also have a 15.5* mashie which I use in the summer and it is great off the tee but I don't think I carry it any farther than my 18* mashie but it does seem to roll out a little more. I recently purchased a 20.5* mashie to see if maybe I carry it as far as the 18* or even the 15.5* hybrids.

Last edited:
Yes...

8u5e5e3e.jpg

Very nice. Still need to hit this. For some reason everybody around here hates Cleveland or thinks I don't need this club ( I can only find regular flex ones) .

Very nice. Still need to hit this. For some reason everybody around here hates Cleveland or thinks I don't need this club ( I can only find regular flex ones) .

This is my favorite hybrid shaft ever created. And I will have it at the Ohio Invitational.

This is my favorite hybrid shaft ever created. And I will have it at the Ohio Invitational.

Even better news! Which one is? The 20.5*?

same flex code as from your previous hybrid?

You know it. It has taken a long time for me to make a change in my hybrid. Close to 3 years. The end of an era.

You know it. It has taken a long time for me to make a change in my hybrid. Close to 3 years. The end of an era.

So I assume that's a C.Kua shaft? 59s? Very interesting indeed!! Have you had a chance to put it up against the stock Matrix?

So I assume that's a C.Kua shaft? 59s? Very interesting indeed!! Have you had a chance to put it up against the stock Matrix?

Mmm, C Kua... Love that hybo shaft.

Awesome. Will be interested to give it a go in Ohio. The hybrid spot is still the last one to get filled, if I decide to make a change, and this one is at the top of the list to try.

I haven't taken a run at the 59 or 83x yet.. Kind of curious, although the stock shaft in this hybrid is a top notch pairing IMO.

I was not a fan of the 39s in the Black 3w. Have yet to try it in a hybrid. So maybe it will be better in a hybrid.

I'd like to try the 83g version of that C Kua shaft, but I'm not sure how readily available they will be at retailers. The 59g version just has never worked for me, just hook city. I like the heavier shafts in my hybrids and find they help slow me down and result in better misses.

I'm looking to get down to 18 or a 20.5 now that I've seen some early results with the 23 degree. However my early ignorance and lack of patience I didn't realize there was a Miyazaki offering in these. How much different would that be over the Matrix shaft. I like the feel of the current combination I have, but I really like the Kusala Black 61s in the classic driver.

I'd like to try the 83g version of that C Kua shaft, but I'm not sure how readily available they will be at retailers. The 59g version just has never worked for me, just hook city. I like the heavier shafts in my hybrids and find they help slow me down and result in better misses.

I agree with your sentiment for a heavier shaft, but watch that C.Kua 83 shafts - its quite stout even in stiff.

I'm looking to get down to 18 or a 20.5 now that I've seen some early results with the 23 degree. However my early ignorance and lack of patience I didn't realize there was a Miyazaki offering in these. How much different would that be over the Matrix shaft. I like the feel of the current combination I have, but I really like the Kusala Black 61s in the classic driver.

The Matrix Ozik that's in it is actually a really good pairing. Low spin, high launch is perfectly ideal for throwing darts from 230 eh?

The C.Kua hybrid shaft is available on Shop.ClevelandGolf.com in 59 and 83.

Stiff 59 (mid-high) IFC6643, XStiff 59 (mid-high) IFC8844
Stiff 83 (low) IFC3576, XStiff 83 (low) 6787

That's a tough decision without hitting them right there Kevin. I'm betting that 59 X is ultra stable on the down swing. 83 just reads beast to me.

The Matrix Ozik that's in it is actually a really good pairing. Low spin, high launch is perfectly ideal for throwing darts from 230 eh?

That's a tough decision without hitting them right there Kevin. I'm betting that 59 X is ultra stable on the down swing. 83 just reads beast to me.

Mmm, low spin, high launch?

Me like.

Mmm, low spin, high launch?

Me like.

That's exactly what I thought I was seeing in the sim too. What intrigues me though, is that many folks play 90-130g shafts in their irons, and I believe the hybrid is more an extension of the iron set vs a wood, yet it's very common that it gets paired with a lighter shaft (like the 60ish gram Matrix in this case).

That's exactly what I thought I was seeing in the sim too. What intrigues me though, is that many folks play 90-130g shafts in their irons, and I believe the hybrid is more an extension of the iron set vs a wood, yet it's very common that it gets paired with a lighter shaft (like the 60ish gram Matrix in this case).

Great point and a reason I am also thinking about butt trimming these down a tad.

The Altitudes are a 1/2" longer than the J40's (8i comparison).
The H5 was a 1/2" longer than the Altitude 5.

Could see myself taking 3/4" or 1" off of the hybrids to make them more like irons. Lose a little distance but more consistent solid contact I would think.

Great point and a reason I am also thinking about butt trimming these down a tad.

The Altitudes are a 1/2" longer than the J40's (8i comparison).
The H5 was a 1/2" longer than the Altitude 5.

Could see myself taking 3/4" or 1" off of the hybrids to make them more like irons. Lose a little distance but more consistent solid contact I would think.

I think it's all about getting those gaps filled anyways eh? If you can drop the length to add accuracy while still closing those gap numbers, it's a fantastic idea!

Interesting - I was seeing pretty high spin to go along with high launch from the Ozik - and I'm a low spin player usually. The shaft has a great feel and the launch and spin numbers were not bad but it needs another 15-20 grams to be comfortable for me.

I think it's all about getting those gaps filled anyways eh? If you can drop the length to add accuracy while still closing those gap numbers, it's a fantastic idea!

Yeah, the interesting thing is that the Alt 5 is 24* while the H5 is 26*. But with the H5 being longer in the shaft, I think that would make up the loft discrepancy from a distance perspective (then take into account the shaft properties). So undecided right now, information overload with all the potential possibilities.

Back