Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by MasterCard [SPOILERS]

I guess I just don't see the "Prime Position" thing. He was 2 back with a couple of holes to play. Surely that is better than 3 back, but not enough where I would call it prime position in stealing the tournament.

Had he not hit it fat, It was all over the pin. 10 feet for Eagle at the worst.

And if Tiger had not hit in the sand, he would have been on the green.

The "had he not" game can be played out for anything though.
Had Tiger not missed a putt.
Had someone else not missed the cut.
Had Tiger not hit it in the sand.

The list is endless. He was down by 2, most people thought it was over already, but Rickie still had a puncher's chance. Then he threw up and put 2 in the drink.

The "had he not" game can be played out for anything though.
Had Tiger not missed a putt.
Had someone else not missed the cut.
Had Tiger not hit it in the sand.

The list is endless. He was down by 2, most people thought it was over already, but Rickie still had a puncher's chance. Then he threw up and put 2 in the drink.

I thought it was over until Tiger went in the bunker on 16. Door was wide open for Rickie to make something happen. And yeah, he pretty much lost it in the head.

I hope this helps Ricky with his focus and mental toughness coming down the stretch. The back to back water balls were tough to watch he played well up until then.

I hope this helps Ricky with his focus and mental toughness coming down the stretch. The back to back water balls were tough to watch he played well up until then.

Actually not really. He was okay at best. He made a couple really long putts and his play around the green was really phenomenal. His ball striking Fairway to Green was really poor. Some of the poorest I've seen from him in a while.

RF never would have been in it if it weren't for the bombs, which while nice, you still have to be 10 feet away to have a good look at birdie. He just wasn't consistent enough in my opinion

After 67 holes and to be 2 back of the lead is playing well in my book

I think Ricky is a Charles Howell with a snazzy outfit at best, that's not saying he's bad by any means at all as a matter of fact I think he's got a ton of talent and I like him. What he lacks is the death punch he doesn't have the killer instinct and chokes when he has to come up with something big on a regular basis. He'll win a few tournaments but I don't think he'll ever be a top contender regularly. I wonder if Si could teach him the death stare.

Last edited:
I think Ricky is a Charles Howell with a snazzy outfit at best, that's not saying he's bad by any means at all as a matter of fact I think he's got a ton of talent and I like him. What he lacks is the death punch he doesn't have the killer instinct and chokes when he has to come up with something big on a regular basis. He'll win a few tournaments but I don't think he'll ever be a top contender regularly. I wonder if Sy could teach him the death stare.

While I strongly disagree who the majority of your argument, I could not agree more with the bolded part. Si would whip him into shape pretty quick.

I understand that. I might be giving him a 'participation ribbon' per say, but what I'm trying to say is that he is that much closer to getting where everyone wants him to be. If that's giving a ribbon, so be it.

You think he is close? Outside of his win he can't seem to string 72 holes with a handful a big numbers

He has talent, tons of it, but he seems to be forcing it a bit when in contention.

While I strongly disagree who the majority of your argument, I could not agree more with the bolded part. Si would whip him into shape pretty quick.

I have to ask. Outside of being a big fan of his, what has he shown since turning professional that makes Trout's argument not dead on? I like the guy and find myself rooting for him, but there comes a time when it can't just still be about "potential".

That show sucks this year. If Rickie followed its trajectory, hed lose his card next year. They ruined a good thing.

You think he is close? Outside of his win he can't seem to string 72 holes with a handful a big numbers

He has talent, tons of it, but he seems to be forcing it a bit when in contention.
I see, and I think he has to learn sometimes, playing to the middle of the green is good.
I have to ask. Outside of being a big fan of his, what has he shown since turning professional that makes Trout's argument not dead on? I like the guy and find myself rooting for him, but there comes a time when it can't just still be about "potential".
I see where Trout comes from on the CH3 thing. But I think the way Rickie started his career was completely different. He showed he could compete and could stay with the guys at top. And he had only just turned pro. This is Rickie's defining year IMO. I've said it before. If he keeps stalling out and doesn't move forward, then I would agree with Trout.
That show sucks this year. If Rickie followed its trajectory, hed lose his card next year. They ruined a good thing.
I disagree with you on that. It's not as good, but still funny.

I would enjoy nothing more than for you to be right, because I think it would be great for the game of golf honestly, but I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

Watch, now he'll win the Masters lol.

I see where Trout comes from on the CH3 thing. But I think the way Rickie started his career was completely different. He showed he could compete and could stay with the guys at top. And he had only just turned pro. This is Rickie's defining year IMO. I've said it before. If he keeps stalling out and doesn't move forward, then I would agree with Trout.

I tend to agree with you about this year being his defining year so far. He is a young man and has a full career ahead of him, but to move to superstar status, I think he has to grab a win this year or two. Compete in the majors and overall be around the hunt on the weekend. Im hoping he gets there.

I think the final round really gave him a chance to drop that potential tag and his performance still has me thinking he's close, but you are right, eventually he just needs to perform in the clutch and stop leaving us all thinking, he "COULD" be good.

I don't think we would be having this conversation if he doesn't make 8 on 16. If he loses by 1 or 2 to Tiger, this conversation would be much much different.

I don't think we would be having this conversation if he doesn't make 8 on 16. If he loses by 1 or 2 to Tiger, this conversation would be much much different.

And if he shaved his head the conversation would be he looks more like Sinead O'Connor than Justin Bieber. What if's don't go too far in most sports.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

The problem is that he DID make an 8 on 16.

You are correct. IF he didnt throw up an 8 on the scorecard, it would have been closer. IF my Aunt had ba...nevermind.

Oh Lord, now I am starting to sound like Blu. The end is near.

I agree with you JT. Rickie had to play for Eagle on 16 because he had to figure Tiger was making birdie even from the trap.

Back