Atlanta Golf - Late March

Pre-round had us as THPers do on the range, swapping equipment, laughing, and enjoying T0ad try and convince himself that playing one footed was a good idea haha!
Blame OG. It's a drill he told me about for my reverse pivot (remnant of 25 years of baseball/softball?).
Turns out I should've kept it up on the course, because I didn't play well out there.

I just refuse to believe there is a bad ATL THPer in the mix.
I haven't met one yet, either. Amazing group of people. It was OG, KB and Dawg that immediately got me wrapped up in the THP family after signing up.

It was pretty funny with me and Toad in the same cart. We were joking how we would break the news to OG that our cart broke.
Could you feel the frame flexing on that thing going over bumps? I'm glad the Monroe GC has brand new carts for us. Yikes! But it sure was a freakin' blast out there, my counterbalance brother!

I can only echo what those in attendance have already said. Atlanta THP'ers are the absolute best. Canadan...we have adopted you so you are now part of the family known as ATLCanadan. Thanks to all who put this together and attended. It was a wonderful day and certainly the best day of golf I've had in a while.

This course is something else. I was paired with a super duo in KellyBo and CplJohnst. We teed off and I played the first three holes with Bogey, Bogey, Par which I was happy with. I will admit that I started off good and said well if the rest of the course is like this I might have a pretty good day. Why did I say that because on hole 4 I experienced what KB and OG had been warning about the greens. I kept hitting the front of 4 green and rolling off. Then when I did get on the green I couldn't stop the ball. When I stopped ball I couldn't read the break or how much slope was on the green. Carded an 8 and was humbled the rest of the round. It only took one hole to break me down.

Overall, the course was great with some rolling fairways and good mix of doglegs. I played with CplJohnst at his home course and they had the fastest greens Ive ever played. The MGCC greens were fast but what got my attention was how complicated they were. KB and OG will be putting pros after a couple more months at this course.

It was fun to watch KB and CplJohnst keep hitting fairway after fairway. Golf must be so boring to them. I on the other hand found every ball I hit into the woods. Ironically, I lost one ball in the fairway after a great recovery shot from somewhere I didn't belong. CPL was in the cart with me and I know we say parts of the course most had never ventured.

Played another 9 with a select few Thpers and had another amazing time. First time ridding with v.man who has serious game. Got a chance to tag along with ATLCanadan who is just an incredible gentleman. With a swing that cause me to catch a cold each time he teed it up. Don't know the speed with which he swings his mighty sabre but the I couldn't keep track of the how high or far the ball went. Glad he spent some time with us on his whirlwind vacation. Of course, it is always a treat anytime you are in the presence of the OG....Ole Great One. When I saw him earlier in the day he had tape on his fingers like he was getting ready for a prize fight. That is a real golfer. No glove needed at all. I was able to play with he and KB and really got to see how they play this course.

Of course, the after party was just getting started at the practice range. All we could hear of OMG! at the range. Once we made it over there we saw what all the commotion was about. I posted in the Cleveland Altitude thread already but what I witnessed and experienced there was incredible. I had no idea such an beauty-challenged iron could make me look so good. Large Phil let me take a few swings with these and I was blown away with how easy the irons were to launch high and go straight. I will be testing them later in the week. I had to drop by Golfsmith on the way home but just didn't have time to hit them.

Had a chance to meet Nate, Wlurker, Gipper, all of who were great to talk to and look forward to teeing it up with them again. It was good to see all those I hadn't seen in a while and thanks to MaryC for the awesome cookies again. CPL Johnst and I met JT for breakfast and as we were leaving JT says he has to find an energy drink. CPL and I said we needed to find a drug store for some Aleve and band aids. One was looking to get pumped up while the other two were trying to prevent injury. Just goes to show the full perspective of an Atlanta THP event.

Super day with a super group. Anytime you hear that ATL THP'ers are getting together you owe it to yourself to get out and attend.

Cheers,

SMG!

hahaha you're the man Keith!!! So pumped to get a chance to talk SeeMore and check out your X series! That thing looked sooooolid at address.

Also, I prefer "Atlantadan" hahahaha!

Done, no longer an unofficial member. Set aside all those spare days to play in your second home. :banana:

Atlantadan it is!

I can go for that TOAD.

TapAhoy!

River Forest. As long as there are no Sasquatch hunters around, I am in. I don't want to get caught, or shot.

River Forest??????

I've heard so much great stuff about River Forest. I'd be in at the drop of a hat!

That would be great, I haven't played over there in several years. I don't plan to miss the next get together. Of course if it is the ATL Invitational in August I am already in that one.

I have three reasons for calling out River Forest.

1. It's a beautiful and fantastic track.
2. I want to see Seth, Nate, & AtlantaDan play #10.....618yds from the tip...mostly downhill...easy Eagle opp I'd guess for the bombers. Other than that, the course is mostly shot-making and not brute strength.
3. (this one's kind of selfish) It's less than the usual 2 hours from my house. **yeah, I know, cry me a river, but maybe more South GA peeps might show

Time to get this going..

I love this! ^^^^^^^^^ Thank you so much for the kind words buddy :friends:. It's always a pleasure to tee it up with you and I hope too MANY more times in the future :thumb: We have to be kin folks some where along the line, because you feel like part of my family.

Done, no longer an unofficial member. Set aside all those spare days to play in your second home. :banana:

Yup! He is an official Georgian :D. I told him he needs to move down here and he said it could be a possibility. His type work may allow this to happen and I sure hope so. First class dude all the way!

Atlantadan it is!

I love this name :blob:

2. I want to see Seth, Nate, & AtlantaDan play #10.....618yds from the tip...mostly downhill...easy Eagle opp I'd guess for the bombers. Other than that, the course is mostly shot-making and not brute strength.
3. (this one's kind of selfish) It's less than the usual 2 hours from my house. **yeah, I know, cry me a river, but maybe more South GA peeps might show

River Forest is absolutely GORGEOUS and let's make this happen soon! Breath taking course is an understatement.

That would be great, I haven't played over there in several years. I don't plan to miss the next get together. Of course if it is the ATL Invitational in August I am already in that one.

We missed you good buddy!

Now that Easter Sunday has come to an end, and my daughter's sugar rush has subsided, I can finally settle down and post my recap. Here goes.

Again, I have to thank OG and Kelly for allowing us to share in their golf course for the day. MCC is a very fun track to play, and I look forward to getting back there. I also look forward to teeing it up with OG and Kelly, who simply emulate what southern hospitality is.

The course left me talking to myself many times, mostly around the greens. My short game was incredibly rusty (still), but my putting was pretty darn good. I made a lot more putts than I expected, but more often than not I was left convincing myself that a putt should have moved or that I simply couldn't have putting more conservatively than I did (while running a putt by 4-5 feet or more). It is said at a lot of courses, but you absolutely cannot be above the hole at MCC. I made one downhill birdie putt early, but the rest of the day I putted defensively. I ended up with an 82 (40-42) on a day where I probably would have broken 80 on other courses. The greens at MCC just lead you shaking your head.

I had the pleasure of teeing it up with Canadan, vman, and JT. Vman reminded us all why he won the True Blue Invitational and had the Scor wedges in his bag. Straight tee balls pretty much all day, and some really well struck approach shots. Vman and I laughed towards the end of the round, because we found ourselves making the same comments on the green. Typically, it was either "I can't believe that didn't move" or "I really didn't hit it that hard." I'd tee it up with Ken any day of the week.

JT didn't have his "A" game (no one did, especially on the greens), but his talent is always there. Watching a guy that much smaller than me hit it as far (sometimes farther) and straight is really impressive. After watching JT hit Dan's Razr Fit with the JDL shaft, I'll be interested to see JT crank out his Classic XL with the JDL for the MC.

Canadan is officially my brother from another (likely metric) mother. Just a class act who is a blast to play with or even hang out with for a bit. To watch this guy drive over nine hours just to tee it up with some other THPers (before driving another four to five hours) is remarkable. I'm really looking forward to getting up to Ohio in a few weeks and teeing it up with him again. As many have said, Dan is no longer part of THP Ohio -- Georgia has adopted him as our own.

I am always amazed when I attend a THP gathering like this. When you boil it down, we are a group of people who met online and like to hang out while playing golf. But, it's obviously a lot more than that. Seeing people that you regularly converse with online and treating them like best friends (if not family) is just not something that you see very often.

Playing golf with other THPers is always great, but seeing the THPers that you know (or that you're meeting for the first time) is even better. I did not play with OG, Kelly, Mary, Toad, SMG, Barry, Will, Nate, Phil or the Gipper, but it was honestly awesome to see everybody hanging out on the range, at the putting green and at the first tee while everyone was teeing off. We dufnered (and tebowed), ate Mary's cookies, and all had a laugh when Barry snatched my R1 from right under my nose. (I'm still not sure how I hit my tee shot right after that.). I'm not sure anyone had a career day (except the MCC greenskeeper), but I know everyone had a blast.

Just an awesome day with an awesome group of people. I've actually come to expect events like this when I know that THPers are going to be around.

Thanks again, everybody.

I'd be interested in trying this one. The hole would need to be awfully downhill for 618 to be reachable in two.

I'd be interested in trying this one. The hole would need to be awfully downhill for 618 to be reachable in two.

It's a ski slope, in all honesty. It'd be no problem, I think, for you guys to be on in two.
DSCF9164.jpg

So sad that I couldn't get over for this one. Some awesome pictures and writeups guys.

It's a ski slope, in all honesty. It'd be no problem, I think, for you guys to be on in two.
DSCF9164.jpg

It's 618 with water in front of the green? I would need a 400 yard tee shot to contemplate that one. (Challenge Accepted)

I can get there in 4, maybe.

Back