golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I got to think the other day about this after I left the local driving range/pro shop. We were talking about the new Nike shoes he had and he said he could order any Nike and FJ shoes and was the same price as Dick's and GG. His club prices are the same as the big box stores as well.

I doubt he can match the sale prices that they offer or the 50% trade in bonus on clubs.

Even if he can't meet the sale prices I'm a big fan of supporting the small local stores over the big box stores even if that cost me a couple bucks. My thoughts don't apply just to this situation as I buy a lot of what I can from locally owned companies and try to eat at the local restraints as much as possible.

My real question is do you spend a couple extra bucks to keep it local or not get the sale price at the big box stores to keep the little guy in business?

Yes for the most part. I like to support local retailers or pro-shops but only if the relationship benefits both parties. I won't pay $1200 for an iron set that I can get online for half that...it just isn't happening.

I buy locally. That may mean big box retailer, DSG or Galaxy. But I buy from course pro shops as well. The relationships and loyalty that are built up will be more than paid back.

I don't have a choice out here, TBH. There's only 1 big box chain out here and it's GG. I don't know why they always have a long wait for club repairs and they don't even have competitive prices. Can walk into any local pro shop here and they'll do the repairs on the spot while I wander and wait.

It depends. There is one component type store that I will always try to buy from if I can because the guy is always good to me and my son.

There's another shop staffed full of tools and I'd love to see them disappear. I'll pay more not to have to buy something from them.

I usually buy local, meaning the stores I usually visit and browse (which includes GG, etc.). I try to put money back in the stores where I spend the most time looking around and demo-ing clubs, instead of showcasing and then going on e bay, etc. Mind you, there are exceptions, but I re - did my bag earlier this year and bought only from these local stores.

I prefer to buy local. I bought by Pings locally and paid a small amount more for it. I also had my Wishon sticks make locally. I bought my putter on ebay and my wedges are direct from Scor.

I always try to keep it local. If I have the option to buy for a locally-owned golf shop instead of a big box store, I will always go local. Typically the service is better and its always good to keep money in your local community when possible, instead of giving it to a huge corporation.

I'll buy locally if they have what I want or are willing to order it for me. Pricing should be pretty close within a few bucks but it's the "Cheers" attitude that I enjoy, you walk in and they know you're name, what tees & balls you like and will talk to you like they want your business. Now, if after a couple of trips to a local place & they just don't try to make an effort, big box here I come.
I'm in sales, I know how to give good customer service and I expect to be treated as I treat my customers. If you don't, you won't have me as a customer for long.

It's all about supply and customer service for me. If they have what I want often enough and treat me like a valued customer I'll come back and spend my money there. The place closest to me just never had what I wanted and he was a smug dork that acted like everyone was below him He's out of business now.

Absolutely! There's a local shop here called Bogey Bob's. Small store but everyone there are soooo friendly, helpful and just good to be around. Now, there stuff is a little bit more expensive than other stores but I don't care. I'd rather spend more money on friendly people than going to GolfSmith or Roger Dunn's (whom are bigger)

Never have and never will buy something from a big box store unless it is a small item I can't find locally. I get significantly better prices from my pro shop anyway., as well as significantly better service.

THPing on Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of supporting it when you can, but there are a ton of online prices and sales that can't be beat by anyone local!

I got to think the other day about this after I left the local driving range/pro shop. We were talking about the new Nike shoes he had and he said he could order any Nike and FJ shoes and was the same price as Dick's and GG. His club prices are the same as the big box stores as well.

I doubt he can match the sale prices that they offer or the 50% trade in bonus on clubs.

Even if he can't meet the sale prices I'm a big fan of supporting the small local stores over the big box stores even if that cost me a couple bucks. My thoughts don't apply just to this situation as I buy a lot of what I can from locally owned companies and try to eat at the local restraints as much as possible.

My real question is do you spend a couple extra bucks to keep it local or not get the sale price at the big box stores to keep the little guy in business?

I've bought 90% of all my clubs and accessories from my home course over the past 35 years. As members we get a very good trade in value and some discount on all items. I would much rather have my dollars go into the course where I'm a member than into the hands of some box store that could care less about me or my golf game.

It depends.Customer service matters more than price sometimes but some Pro shops are just too expensive when it comes to equipment. I usually buy online but get regrips and reshafting done locally...shoes I always buy local.

Because I purchase a lot of my equipment through my home course, the director of golf sold me the matrix White Tie at 0 mark up.

Try getting that through eBay.

I am pleased to see that quite a few of us do and try and support the little guy when we can.

Back