How would you approach this situation (friend's GF)

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
My good buddy's GF works at a private country club and is able to get certain OEM gear at cost (saving me hundreds of dollars) . She got my buddy a whole new bag a few months back, and then my other buddy a new shaft. I'm looking to get new irons and wedges. She said to message her on facebook with what I want. I did a month ago and haven't heard back. Two weeks ago my buddy called and she was in the car with him. She apologized for not getting back to me but she's been busy yada yada... I told her to not worry about it one bit.

Well it's been another few weeks without hearing anything. I completely understand if she can't do it or doesn't want to or anything like that and I don't want to bring it up (she'd be doing me a big favor so I dont want to come off as pushy)...I just want some clarification as to if I should keep waiting or move on.

What would you do?

Just politely ask her if she can/will do it for you and that you understand either way. If she says no, move on

She told you to let her know what you wanted and you did. I'd let her know that you are getting ready to buy and has she been able to find anything out?

Or you could ask your buddy. He might be able to find out if she can do it or not.

Sounds like your buddy has a new heater in his car! Move on.

Definitely a tough spot to be in. Obviously you don't want to come off as pushy as she is doing you a favor, but at the same time you want your new toys. So the question is wait it out or buy else where and have the off chance that she did get around too it and has been busy and you're stuck with both sets? I'd say wait a few days and throw her a message and just be polite and let her know that if she can't do it it is totally ok and you won't be upset and that you're just looking to get them now because golf season is right around the corner.

Just politely ask her if she can/will do it for you and that you understand either way. If she says no, move on

This. :thumb:

Ask her again. Tell her that if she cannot hook you up anymore, that it is better to know so you can look elsewhere to fill your golf fix.

I'd ask her again and try to get a definite yes or no answer.

I just personally wouldn't worry about it. I understand the saving money part because I'm cheap as well, but if you haven't put any money out and she isn't willing/doesn't want to help no need to push the issue. She is hooking you up as a favor. If someone is hooking me up and isn't responding or getting it done then I just move on. No need for me to push and hassle someone over a favor.

Ask you buddy to ask her.

Ask you buddy to ask her.

Agreed. Ask your buddy to ask her one more time. If you don't get a positive response, head to GolfSmith.

The only plans I can come up with involve ski masks

This is the answer IMO. Nothing for anyone to get angry about and you get your answer.

Agreed, short, sweet and cordial either way!

Agreed, short, sweet and cordial either way!

That's how I would do it. Plus maybe offer to buy your buddy and his girlfriend dinner once the deal is done. Dangling a "Carrot" always makes the horse move.

Like everyone else is sayin. Ask once more and be polite. After that, then move on. Easiest and best way to do it. You won't come off as pushy and therefor can all hang out without wierd feelings

I would contact her and apologize for interupting her day, and then ask about the clubs and explain that it's no big deal if she can't hook you up, but that you are ready to buy new equipment and just need to know one way or the other so you can make other arrangements if you need to.

I swear, the first time I saw this thread, I thought it was going to be about something TOTALLY different.

They called once, they will call again. It a gift and waiting to hear back would be best.

Seems like you have gotten your answer here, the main thing is to remember to be polite and let her know that you are not upset if things have changed as far as her being able to help you out. Let us know what happens.

It ultimately comes down to if the savings is worth the hassle. I've actually been in the same situation before, regarding a friend with retail connections getting me OEM prices...and while I appreciate the effort, I'll never bother with it again. The few dollars I saved didn't match the aggravation in repeatedly following up with no control over the order.

If it is a good buddy, I would just be honest with her and let her know it is ok either way.

My good buddy I'm referencing is my best friend's step brother. My friend said he'd discreetly drop a comment and see what he says. If that doesn't happen this week then I'll just take your advice and politely ask her. I've been selling off my current gear to make room for the new gear so that's why I'd kinda like to get this show of the road one way or the other.

Thanks

Well there is a happy ending to this story. I had originally asked her to shop the prices for a couple different items and never heard back from her. My buddy said that you'll have more luck with her if you just tell her exactly what you want and ask if she can get it. I politely emailed exactly what I wanted and the next day she gave me the price quote. Today she will be ordering them (of course there is a 3-4 week backorder lol).

Have to admit, I thought this thread was going to be about something non-golf related. :D

Back