Cleveland Classic XL Driver Review

That's funny ddec. War Eagle is loud and proud!

I'd love to try the Custom as well.

That's funny ddec. War Eagle is loud and proud!

I'd love to try the Custom as well.
The pairing of the XL w/ B Asha 5S and the XL Custom with the JDL 5S just has me really curious on numbers.

Golfsmith down here has the XL & Custom with a variety of shafts, may have to see if I can take over a LM for a few hours.

Nice review hawkmeister. Sounds like a performer!

Oh and don't forget, Bettinardi Putters are sick!

The pairing of the XL w/ B Asha 5S and the XL Custom with the JDL 5S just has me really curious on numbers.

Golfsmith down here has the XL & Custom with a variety of shafts, may have to see if I can take over a LM for a few hours.

My only concern remains the low spin (for my fitting needs). I just can't see a way to rectify that with lower loft, heavier/stiffer tipped shaft. If I could hit the ball dead nuts every time I'd be in a great spot, but I can't for some reason.

Great review Ryan. Glad to hear the new classic is winner. I think I still prefer the look of last year's though.

one thing I like better hawk and you touched on it was the different alignment aid. I really like the more understated look rather than the one that said Classic last year.

Hawkster!!!!! Fantastic dude!

SO much info in there, jeeeeeez I want to hit one of these now.

I really like these drivers. I have hit the XL with B.Asha 4S and the XL Custom with JDL 6S and like them pretty equally, I need to see actual flight. I would also love to try the B.Asha 5s as well

I like the whole package with the high launch, low spin, and better than average price. Enjoyed the review and packed full of great info!

Great review Hawk! Very informative and I like that you touched on why they put the B.Asha 4 series with this head. I think most people will find that combo to be quite a great combo, as you have already found out.

Excellent review and numbers, Hawk! A gem of a comment about how a higher spinning ball worked best for you with the XL.

Excellent review as always Hawk

Personally I am not too sure on the looks of the club so it would have to work very well for me to consider putting it in my bag

Great review Hawk, very thorough and honest.

This club has me pumped. I hit it once at Dicks and was very happy with the feel and launch conditions. Finally have an outdoor demo on Masters Saturday and I can't wait to get this bad boy outside. I'm really hoping my numbers mesh a second time, the price point on this beast is just too good.

Great review Hawk. Based on what I'm seeing with my current 2012 Classic in 10.5 with the B. Asha 5x, I can't help but think that the 9* with the 4x 2013 would be a killer combination, slightly lighter clubhead for more speed, lower loft with a higher launching shaft. At 250 bucks, this just seems like a ridiculously good price and something I may risk a purchase on without finding a 4X to hit!

Many thanks Ryan for your extensive review of the new classic. Since you have tested many of the Miyazaki shafts would like to to get your input, it would just be another bit of info in my decision process. . Little about me age 67, handicap moves around from 7 to 10, don't do or have any interest in simulators, our driver distance is about the same. For me the c kua 39s is great and the c kua 39 regular is a complete no go for me. THE C KUA 43 works very well for me as well, can hit either s or r flex in that, probably lean to the r flex there. I can usually tell quickly by just handling a driver in each flex whether it will allow me to comfortably swing with nice swing speed on the front none and more importantly the back nine as well.

I recently for no good reason sold my beloved Classic 10.5 kua 43 stiff always had in the back of my mind the reg. in that might work a little better. Did this because re shafted my 8.5 supertri with kua 39s I pulled from my 2011 cleveland and it is money; ditto for my fit TA 10.5 with a real aldila rip phenom 50 shaft.

Call me a fool but unless I come to my senses pondering the new classic just because it is the only new driver that tempts me.
That is more than enough info sorry.
I am me, get that, but in your personal view would you feel the stock B asha stiff is stronger than a kua 39 s ?? Iam thinking it is and may be a grey area and should take a closer look at the asha R.
:

You're going to be bummed, but I don't have the experience with the 39 that would allow me to be of much use there.

I think it's a softer/smoother feeling shaft than the 43 by a long shot. At least under the hands. I did try the R flex and it felt way too soft for me, which wasn't really the case with an Aldila Trinity I tried in R flex.

You're going to be bummed, but I don't have the experience with the 39 that would allow me to be of much use there.

I think it's a softer/smoother feeling shaft than the 43 by a long shot. At least under the hands. I did try the R flex and it felt way too soft for me, which wasn't really the case with an Aldila Trinity I tried in R flex.

Your view that the stock asha feels softer/ smoother than the kua 43 (assume you are referring to kua 43 s) is a useful tidbit. Thanks

Thanks Hawk, and thanks THP. Great read!

Your view that the stock asha feels softer/ smoother than the kua 43 (assume you are referring to kua 43 s) is a useful tidbit. Thanks

Yep, that is what I meant. I know the 43 is really tip soft, but it's like rebar in the butt section. B Asha doesn't give me that impression at all.

GREAT review, Ryan.

I've spent a decent amount of time with the Classic XL in the demo bay. Your review really mirrors my experience in almost every way. This is a super sexy driver and very solid performer, especially on well struck balls. It offers so much goodness and is a crazy steal at $249.

I loved the Classic last year and it sounds like this is just an extension of that great driver. Improved ball flight from the previous version you say? I'll take it! I also love that they were able to keep that sound, definitely a great sound. I sure do like that price tag too, I hope people don't over look it as a lesser driver because of that lower price!

Thanks for the great write up Hawk!

Nice job Hawk! This driver sounds like it performs very well for you. I did not get along well with the original classic but you have me thinking about this one since we play similar style games. I miss the look of last years classic, but I can get over that. I hate to hear that the headcover is a little more difficult to get on and off. Last years headcover was awesome, I've thought about buying one without the driver. I think the price point is very good on this club.
Just my 2 cents but the shafts play different enough that you should take a look.

Great review Hawk. This makes me that much more excited to tee it up with Cookie this weekend and put a few swings on his when he isnt looking. The price point on these is great especially when comparing to some of the other 2013 offerings that can be easily 400+.

Great write up Ryan, look forward to following your thoughts on this driver as you use it more and more.

Back