Odyssey Tank Review

While I do not need this, I am pondering one hard. the #7 style has long been my favorite putter, and this one is so unique that I think I have to get it.

Can't blame you man. While a totally different putter, I feel the same about the Versa #2.

I will own an Odyssey sooner rather than later.

Can't blame you man. While a totally different putter, I feel the same about the Versa #2.

I will own an Odyssey sooner rather than later.
I currently have 4, I think. 2 #7s, so this would make my 3rd model of #7.

It's even bigger difference in person. Oddly, I never noticed the bigger size until I compared them side by side.

I agree. I knew it was larger, but it doesn't scream larger until you compare. Love the weight on this behemoth, though I think I'm holding out to see if it comes in a harder insert in the future.

I finally got on a practice green and worked with the Tank today. Have used it on course, but this is the first time I've actually got to practice with it on the green. Sort of a backwards way to do things, but we are just getting into spring finally.

Results were very good, especially after getting a handle on where my hands need to be. Didn't have any trouble with distance control on lags, which was a concern coming in. At one point I made seven in a row from 7-10 feet from different spots and that pretty much sold me. I did figure out that using the alignment aid on the ball pulled it all together. Excited to take what I learned today to the course.

How did you have your hands for this hawk? 7 in a row from that distance is pretty exciting, nice job.

This is what I'm talking about Due.

I had a realization today that I never took the time to figure out where my hands really belong on the grip.

I took a 35 inch #7 from my hoard and compared its butt end to the Tank. I found out I was a good inch to inch and a half higher on the grip than I really should be. Changed my hand position accordingly and it was instantly more comfortable for me at address. Seemed to balance out the head weight a little better too.

Basically, figured out how to put my hands in the same spot I would my normal 35 inch putter. It changed the balance of the head and also got me into the posture I'm used to. Never thought to do that before last night.

This is what I'm talking about Due.

Basically, figured out how to put my hands in the same spot I would my normal 35 inch putter. It changed the balance of the head and also got me into the posture I'm used to. Never thought to do that before last night.

I see, guess it pays to read back a little, lol. I'm so used to finding the end of the grip from my upright SeeMore stance, not sure I could go back to lower on the grip. These certainly look like they would promote a stable stroke.

It was sort of hard to figure it out at first for sure, but I figure it'll become second nature soon enough.

It was sort of hard to figure it out at first for sure, but I figure it'll become second nature soon enough.
With practice of course it will and if it performs it's certainly something worth practicing!

Well Tank fans, this MC'er will be sporting the 36" Tank for the big dance! I've spent the last few days rolling this putter and I'm very excited about putting it into play soon! The first thought I had when I rolled a few putts was how heavy the putter was. You can feel the weight! But in saying that I then quickly realized how stable the head was in my backswing and follow through. Very little twisting that is for sure! I quite like the extra weight. I tend to leave my 10-20 foot putts short so I'm hoping this might help that out a little bit with the added weight behind the ball. I knew this was a winner when on Saturday I was rolling some putts at Golfsmith, at about 10 feet and made 9 out of 10 at one point. Just a very easy swing to repeat with this putter. Add the number 7 type head which is very popular out on tour right now, this was it for me. Can't wait! Thank You THP and Callaway/Odyssey Golf. Looking forward to some results soon with it!

Also went with the tropic grip:

6069.jpg

I like this a lot and seems like it would setup well with my putting setup/style.

Might have to give this a go.

Well Tank fans, this MC'er will be sporting the 36" Tank for the big dance! I've spent the last few days rolling this putter and I'm very excited about putting it into play soon! The first thought I had when I rolled a few putts was how heavy the putter was. You can feel the weight! But in saying that I then quickly realized how stable the head was in my backswing and follow through. Very little twisting that is for sure! I quite like the extra weight. I tend to leave my 10-20 foot putts short so I'm hoping this might help that out a little bit with the added weight behind the ball. I knew this was a winner when on Saturday I was rolling some putts at Golfsmith, at about 10 feet and made 9 out of 10 at one point. Just a very easy swing to repeat with this putter. Add the number 7 type head which is very popular out on tour right now, this was it for me. Can't wait! Thank You THP and Callaway/Odyssey Golf. Looking forward to some results soon with it!

Also went with the tropic grip:

6069.jpg

Sounds good buddy, you know I am a #7 fan too!

Awesome Nate! After talking to you I know you are confident with this thing. Cannot say enough about the #7 headshape. Loving my WBW. Roll it well buddy

Nice Nate!! What length do you usually play your putter at?

Awesome Nate! After talking to you I know you are confident with this thing. Cannot say enough about the #7 headshape. Loving my WBW. Roll it well buddy
I actually didn't think I would like the #7 type head and this putter at all. Well, guess that's why you need to try stuff out before you judge! Loved it after the first few putts. Love the idea behind this putter and think this will be great for my game. I know how much success you are having with your versa #7 so you know what I'm talking about!

35". I tweeted Odyssey_Koske about that and he recommended going with the 36".
Good deal! I roll a 36" usually, and with the Tank I was digging the 38" and the 39". Loved the weighting of the longer shaft.

That's awesome Nate. Tank is legit.

Good deal! I roll a 36" usually, and with the Tank I was digging the 38" and the 39". Loved the weighting of the longer shaft.
I rolled a few with the 38" and liked it as well! The extra length really didn't get in the way on my swing. It appears they want you to go a good inch or two from what you normally putt with.

Nate it's face balanced still right I think I asked before but I don't remember.

Nate it's face balanced still right I think I asked before but I don't remember.
They call it counterbalance 30g in the shaft and 400g head. I don't know if that means the face is balanced on it's own.

The Tank rules. Especially from 5-10 feet. I walked one in on Jrod today :D

Definitely feel like I have to set up the ball with the alignment aid pointing down my line though. If not I have some trouble lining up. Definitely saved my bacon a few times today.

The Tank rules. Especially from 5-10 feet. I walked one in on Jrod today :D

Definitely feel like I have to set up the ball with the alignment aid pointing down my line though. If not I have some trouble lining up. Definitely saved my bacon a few times today.

Dang it I need you to say it's nothing special!

Man, if you asked me to tell you the opposite of the putter I think I'd want to play golf with , the Tank would be on the short list (without trying it). It's long, a mallet, offset, heavy, has an insert. No joke though. It just plain works man. Especially on those putts in the 10 foot range that seem to pop up a lot when I'm missing greens. Not only that, but I've got some good touch with it on lags. Hell, I almost drained one from 7-8 feet off the green today. That big flat sole makes it pretty easy.

Man, if you asked me to tell you the opposite of the putter I think I'd want to play golf with , the Tank would be on the short list (without trying it). It's long, a mallet, offset, heavy, has an insert. No joke though. It just plain works man. Especially on those putts in the 10 foot range that seem to pop up a lot when I'm missing greens. Not only that, but I've got some good touch with it on lags. Hell, I almost drained one from 7-8 feet off the green today. That big flat sole makes it pretty easy.

This is quickly becoming a must purchase. Sad part is that I already have a 2ball that I putt very well with. Newer is better right?

Back