How important are par 3's to you? Any more or less than the rest?

My former home course, my new home course, and the upscale course I frequent most all have death trap par 3s. I need to eliminate the penalties on those holes.

THPing on Tapatalk

I can't say I really put more importance on the par 3s than the others........but if I look back at my better rounds I would bet I had a GIR on all 4 of them each time! Maybe a birdie or two mixed in, but certainly par on each.

Par 3's are just as important as that beginning par 4 or finishing par 5. You have to put your best shot forward at all times.

On my home course, which has six par 3's (1/3 of the holes), they are pretty important.

I never played one with 6 or with just 3 for that matter. Do they make up for it with an extra par 5 or something? Just curious. or is the course a par70 perhaps?

Ok, so far interesting.....we have mixed opinions on it and of course no such thing here as right or wrong but just different views.
Some say no diff than anything else.
Some say they do hold high value but also the same for p5's and i can understand that though process just the same.
Some say they are indeed vital to thier game but for some different and some same reasons.

Par 3s are very important to me, you get one swing and can really gage where your game is. At least thatnismhow I feel about them.

I agree with others that par 3's are usually the tougher holes on the course. I don't get too many GIR's from 170 and out, yet you're expected to do just that with the longer par 3's. And most of them penalize any type of mis hit, as you're all teed up for the shot and expected to nail it. On par 4's and 5's, I feel like I have a few more opportunities to save myself from a bad shot.

Par 3s are very important to me, you get one swing and can really gage where your game is. At least thatnismhow I feel about them.
I agree completely, I find par 3s very important to my rounds score.

Like others, I like to think of every hole as being equally important. However, par 3's immediately remove my biggest advantage (for the most part, long par 3's play into it)...my distance, so I do place some emphasis on playing them steady throughout my round. On most par 3's, I find myself playing for par much more often than I do on par 4's or 5's.

Par 3's are important to me as these are my worst holes on the course! I struggle to find the green and then get down on myself cause I can hunt pins with the same club from the fairway or rough. Par3's eat me up at least on 4&5's I get an extra shot to try and redeem myself.

some are also saying similar and I believe thats partly why the thought of losing strokes on the 3's are not redeemable. Imean every bad stroke we have is technically in one sence lost forever but just as you say, you can try to redeem yourself on the 4's and 5's.

And on a similar note many are stating that its the only time you get to place a ball as comfy as possible to hit onto a green and therfore should be a shot that is made. I agree with this and just adds more to my thoughts about how screwing it up is not something you can ever make up for. Its sort of like a tiny break we are getting so when you dont take full advantage of it all the way through the hole, its just too vital of a mistake IMO.

On many courses, par 3's are the easiest holes to give up strokes on. A single bad shot can bring a double into play. So I do think they're important to good score.

Par 3's a vital to scoring well...you hit a bad shot on a par 4 or par 5 and you get another chance to make it up and salvage par or bogey....it's really easy to make one bad shot that leads to double or worse on a par 3

On my home course, which has six par 3's (1/3 of the holes), they are pretty important.

Is your course divided up 6 par 3's, 6 par 4's and 6 par 5's or do you have a par there under 72?

According to oobgolf, my scoring average is higher over par on the par 3's than on par 4's or 5's so yes they do demand the most attention for me to shoot well.

Is your course divided up 6 par 3's, 6 par 4's and 6 par 5's or do you have a par there under 72?

According to oobgolf, my scoring average is higher over par on the par 3's than on par 4's or 5's so yes they do demand the most attention for me to shoot well.
Six par threes, eight par fours and four par fives. Par 70.

Par 3's can be brutal. We have a short (120-150 yards) par 3 with water left and in front, OB long right and sand right. When the wind blows that little hole is a fiend, my highest hole score in a tournament in the last ten years is an 8 on that hole. Five over par on one hole pretty much wrecks a tournament total. Today I hit my tee shot OB on that hole, good shot except just a little draw and wind along with warm air made the ball fly further than expected. I don't even think about the flag anymore, just try to hit the middle of the green.

If you are wondering how to make an eight on a par three here is one way: The hole was near the front edge of the green. Tee shot came up just a little short in the drink. Dropped and tried to get the next one close, it too came up short and wet. Dropped again and hit to the back of the green then three putted.

Par 3's are so important, if I don't like setup (200+ yard length, hazards all around, wind blowing the wrong way, etc) then if possible, I will certainly consider laying up, trying to get up and down and walk off content with a bogey if not.

I know I'm going to put a 6 on the scorecard but if it's on a par 3 it hurts to eat it.

I know I'm going to put a 6 on the scorecard but if it's on a par 3 it hurts to eat it.

Agreed. Cause you tell yourself its one of the shortest holes but yet I have my highest score of the round on it

I don't consider them any more or less important than the other holes, but I do like to think that I can at least make a couple of pars on them (apart from my round on Sunday.....double, bogey, par) depending on the length/difficulty of the hole

A course I used to play fairly regularly had back to back par 3s, both over 200yds and forced carries over a valley, one to a narrow green a bit like the shot into the 12th at Augusta and the second to a larger green but bunkers left and right - they could easily wreck any potential good score

I'm with Rollin on this one. To play my handicap is bogey golf. If I want to reduce my handicap, then the par 3s generally represent my best opportunity to get under. One good iron shot and a couple of putts and I am one under. Do that on 4 par 3s and play bogey on the rest and I am 4 under, which will get me a cut a shot and some...so they do hold a special significance for me at the moment.

at our (9-home) course, the first 2 holes are par 3, first one (205 yards) has NO room for error either left or right of the green, so you're almost forced into taking a penalty if you miss the green, so play it short if you're unsure. Second one (180 yards) has water from tee to green on the right side so slicers like me also face a penalty...6th hole is a short one (92 yards) but verry narrow and a creek behind the green...

so yeah, I think par 3's are important...but then again, every hole is important...

My username says it all about my results on Par 3's back when I joined. Sucked! I use to pretty much chalk up carding a 4 on all or most of them and have to birdie as many Par 5's as Par 3's I bogied.

Now it isn't as bad, but like the OP I still can pretty much predict my score based on my par 3 performance.

Par 3s are not important for birdies, but definitely important for pars. Thats just me

To me a par 3 is no more or less important than any other hole. Par is par, birdie is birdie, etc... For me, the most important hole in golf...is the next one.

Thainer's thoughts are mine as well. A birdie is stealing one, parring them all is a solid round.

Back