Mizuno JPX 825 & 825 Pro Irons

Thanks SW. I'll be in Aventura on the 18th, from Thursday to Sunday.

Cool, I'm off on the 20th. There's a little golfsmith in Hollywood that has a decent staff, and a course nearby...wink wink lol

Cool, I'm off on the 20th. There's a little golfsmith in Hollywood that has a decent staff, and a course nearby...wink wink lol

Ha, I know them well, I actually have a Golftec lesson there on the 18th. On the 20th we (with my boss and a client) are between playing The Diplomat and trying to get into Eagle Trace. I will PM you and see if you are up for a round, it would be cool to meet up.

Sounds good dude. I think there is a PGA superstore on the east coast somewhere as well, I know they are mizzy fitters.

While at the Ohio THP outing, I had the good fortune to win a set of the Mizuno JPX-825 Pro irons.. These are new within the past couple months, my local golf stores haven't seen these yet but I live in a pretty limited golf retail area as well. For those in the market for new irons I thought I’d share my thoughts. I have to admit I wasn’t a big fan of the JPX-800’s when I tried them out at Demo Day last may, so am interested on what Mizuno did with their updated line.

First I wanted to say a huge thank you to Mizuno, for providing their latest irons in support of the Ohio event and to THP for including them as one of the prizes. I happened to be good (lucky) enough left-hand chipper to walk away with these last weekend. Bear with my photography skills, the camera and lighting wasn't cooperating too well tonight. I hit some balls on the range while at the outing and put in play for a couple shots on Sunday in Ohio, initial impressions are good and I am looking forward to getting some more time with them. After those few shots I had a more positive impression than I did hitting the previous model, the JPX-800's. They seem more compact with a thinner top line from last years model but don't have one for a side beside comparison. I do remember being turned off by the topline of last year's model but don't find that with the 825's.

DSC00372.jpg
[/IMG]

First thing you notice about these irons is how stunning the head looks. The back and chrome badging is clean without being too flashy. Like most things with clubs, everything is subjective as we all have our own preferences but I think these irons look great. I’m someone who likes thinner top lines and soles on my irons. I have always struggled with clubs with larger heads, even if most of it is all in my head. I find these irons pleasing to my eye at address and not overly large/thick. The topline is comparable to my Cleveland 588’s by comparison (7 Iron, 588 behind the 825). There is not a lot of offset either and is also comparable to the 588's by comparison.
DSC00377.jpg
[/IMG]

After looking at the badging and the topline I check out the sole. How a club interacts with the turf is really something I look for in an iron. The 825’s have what Mizuno calls Triple Cut sole design. I’ve seen a number of other clubs (Zstar, J40), that have this feature on the leading edge, but haven't noticed as dramatic change on the trailing edge (other than wedges). I'm really intrigued on how turf interaction will be with this sole shape.

DSC00381.jpg
[/IMG]

The cavity and size of the head adjusts based on the club; the 4-7 iron uses a full cut out pocket cavity moving weight to the heal and toe while the 8-GW uses greater thickness behind the face and a larger head.

6Iron
DSC00370.jpg
[/IMG]

PW:
DSC00371.jpg
[/IMG]

Comparing head sizes with PW, 7i and 4iron:
DSC00369.jpg
[/IMG]

For comparison sake, I am currently playing the Cleveland 588 CB's and played Srixon Z-Star’s previously. The lofts in line with most these day’s, not as strong as the ZStar’s but a little less than the 588’s. The stock grips are Golf Pride and are pretty thin. I will replace them tonight to a midsized that fits me a little better.

It’s been pouring rain, and have been catching up at work after taking Friday off to travel to Ohio outing, but it suppose to clear up later this week so hope to get some range time in then, and a round this weekend. I’ll give more details on how they feel after a few buckets, if you have any questions, let me know.

A great post of first thoughts, and nice Job with the pics, looking forward tovhearing how it goes when u take them all for a spin

Nice initial thoughts, Brian. Glad that my roadie/roomie was the guy that got to take these home. They are beautiful irons and like you, I wasn't a huge fan of the 800 Pros when I hit them. They just didn't have that "wow" factor, compared to other offerings in the same price range and genre. Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you get more time with them.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

bhillin great initial write up and congrats on winning these!

Congrats on the win looking forward to see how they treat you.

Tap-taddict

Tapping my way forward as a MC hopeful

Congrats Bhilln. That is a gorgeous set of irons

Congrats on the win and great initial thoughts man!

Great job on the win, really like the way those clubs look

Congrats on the win. Can't wait to hear comparison to the Clevelands.

Congrats on the win, those look awesome!

Good thoughts, I've hit these and was really impressed. I liked them more than the 800 pros.

I was able to take the Mizuno 825 Pro's out to the range today after work. I took along my 588cb's for comparison as they are what I currently game. I started warming up with the 588 9i and 7i as I typically do and then started hitting 6-8 balls with each iron. Mizuno is well known for their feel of forged irons, so wanted to compare to the 588's and my previous Z-Star's.

I went back and forth to compare feel and distance between the two and came to a couple initial conclusions. On well struck shots, the 588's feel better than the Mizuno's... however the 588's can be a bit punshing when you don't hit them well, and this is where the Mizuno's shined for me today. The 825's are far less punishing on miss hits with minimal distance loss. I am not the greatest ball striker so need some forgiveness in my irons and after a large bucket, I had a number of shots across the face. The feel of the ball off the club (using range balls) is solid but would not describe them as soft and buttery. The feel is pleasing and nothing to complain about by any means... and of course is subjective. While not as soft as the ZStar's, or solid as the 588's they still offer a good solid feel and quite playable.

Where I was impressed was with the long irons. Of all the irons in the set I hit, the 4iron was probably my favorite... something I never thought I'd be saying. I've always struggled with with long irons but was able to hit the 4iron with ease. Distances were consistent while using the entire face of the club and feel was good. I was getting about the same distance as I get off of my 4-hybrid. I don't think I've ever been as consistent with a 4-5 iron as I was with this club tonight. While the 4iron was my favorite of the bunch, my least favorite was the gap wedge (50*). I don't know why but I just wasn't consistent with it and preferred the feel of a wedge.

I plan on taking these out to the course this weekend and will have a better idea of the turf interaction as the grass at the range is pretty worn by this point in the year.

Nice write up bhilln.
I can't wait to test them out.

I got to hit the 825s and 825 pros at a demo day on Friday, and I agree with bhilln's review above. The 825s felt really solid and sooth to me....not the "buttery smoothness" of Mizuno's MP line, but very pleasing. I tried this with DG shafts and the PXi's, and the PXi's felt really amazing. I was ready to get fitted for them right there...but I just got my new 588 CBs. BTW, I was not really a fan of the JPX 800 irons, but the 825s are impressive.

They also had the 825 FWs, and I liked them even more than my current 800s....although the $200 retail price tag was a little hard to swallow. I went to the Demo expected to buy a couple of Razr X Black FWs using the 15% discount they were offering, but I liked the 825s so much that I decided to just stick with my 800s for a little while longer.

Also, this is not really the thread for this, but I was able to hit the brand new MP-H4s. This is a hollow, hybrid iron design that seems similar to the new hybrid design 588s mentioned on the THP homepage. They seem big enough to be called a GI iron, but they are forged and have the outer appearance of the MP line. The Mizuno website suggests they are for players with a handicap between 2 and 14, but I don't know how much stock to put in that suggestion.

I hit a 6 iron, and 9 iron (scoring irons are not hollow, and have a half-cavity back). The 6 iron hit the ball long, high and straight. I didn't even have the right shaft for me, and I seemed to hit that iron better than any other iron I demo'ed on Friday (using my eyeball test, and not any launch monitor). The 6 iron had zero feel -- not harsh or anything, just no feel at all -- which pretty much strikes them off my list. I would possibly consider buying a 4 and/or 5 iron, though.

well the decision has been made..
Bye bye i20.. hello JPX 825 PRO (well not hello yet, but soon)
I think this might be that wow set which end up being in the bag for looong time

If the 825 Pros are even better than the 800 Pros, they must be incredible. My 800s are my favorite iron I have ever hit. I am afraid to even hit the 825s because I don't want the temptation.

If the 825 Pros are even better than the 800 Pros, they must be incredible. My 800s are my favorite iron I have ever hit. I am afraid to even hit the 825s because I don't want the temptation.
I highly recommend you go and hit some balls with 825s. that is the fun part of being a golfer. being tempted by new stuff :) :)

so, it has been a few days since I got my 825 pro but no outdoor range open yet. and just looking at these irons at home :-( will report once I go to the outdoor range and hit some balls. *dam these irons looks so good it makes Bradly Cooper looks like an elephant man lol

I've had the 825's for the last few months and love them. Just very easy to hit and flies off the face. Definitely the best set I've had.

I also like these because it's fairly easy to control flight trajectory for me, as in higher or lower.

Irons are definitely my weakest part of the game, but these give me the most confidence I've had in an iron in a long time.

Ok, enough gushing. Just wanted to add my experience with them for the last few months. I was fit into them and have no regrets on the purchase.

well, finally got to play 9 holes this afternoon with 825 pro.

dam this thing is good. granted that due to the stronger loft, it is 1 club longer in distance compare to older clubs. But I was playing i20 last year and I have to say 825 pro is definitely longer and possibly more forgiving on thin shots. It does response better in terms of shot shaping than i20 which means if you slice it will be slice, if you hook it will be a hook where more GI irons will give somewhat less slice/hook.
overall, I think I might have finally found the iron that I will be playing for a long time.

Back